1.    #1  
    RSS is great, only problem is that many RSS enabled sites only include 1-2 lines of text within their XML file and when you read it on the Treo (Quicknews, mNews) you need to go online (Blazer) for the rest of the text.
    Not so friendly when commuting and/or you got no data connection.
    Does anyone know of good news sites that include enough text within the RSS feed itself?
    I tried Google News, CNN, NYT, USToday and they all have 1-5 lines at most (and a link to the full article).

Any recommendations will be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Ix.
    You might want to try AvantGo instead of an RSS reader.
    I've been feeling the same way, ixtab1970...unfortunately, I think Avantgo is the only way to go, unless you can write a script or something to collate all of the full articles on one page or something like that...
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    I'm gonna bump this one because I was scouring around the net tonite, and was thinking that by now, there HAS to be a feed that sends more then just summaries (ala yahoo) for 'top news' stories. Anyone have any suggestions?
  5.    #5  
    cue, since my first post I started to use the free portion of Handmark Express. I think you don't need to pay for their news+weather feeds (i just deleted the pay-per-view feeds/channels). works fine, they do provide plenty of text if you config to download all)

I hope this helps.
    I gave up on offline rss, rss is not enough when you are out of coverage.
    Quote Originally Posted by ixtab1970
    the free portion of Handmark Express....
    I hope this helps.
    I gave up on offline rss, rss is not enough when you are out of coverage.
    I agree, I've personally never used rss for these purposes because I know it's not enough. Handmark Express's (or on demand) news features are very good, and even if you don't choose to download full articles, it takes about 3 seconds to download the full thing if you're interested, Blazer not required (thank goodness ).

I don't much like Avantgo, but I have to admit it's pretty good for these purposes and allows you to configure custom channels so you can expand the choices of available content.
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    I use SunriseXP (http://www.sunrisexp.com) to download RSS Feeds in Plucker (http://www.plkr.org/) format. Works very well indeed. You can download with or without images and can control the depth of links that the Sunrise app will pull down from a site.

It means that I can have a big pile of reading material in my hand without having to download a single byte (Important when data costs as much as it does over here)

It's not as clean as AvantGo, but there is no limit on the amount of data you can pull down - I have about 40 feeds which amount to a little over 12Mb, it would be more if I turned images on for all feeds.
    Palm IIIx -> Palm Vx -> Treo650
    Panasonic G500 -> Nokia 6210 -> Nokia 6610 -> Treo650
    I think what you all are describing is an issue with the feeds you want to read, not the rss software you choose to read them with.

RSS can be fed as "full feeds," or the whole article/post, or "partial feeds," just a sentance or two, or maybe the first paragraph.

The NYT RSS feeds are partial. Nothing short of (that I know off) going to NYT.com will allow you to read full text.

I've been using QuickNews for about two years. Most of my feeds (except the NYT) are full feeds and I rarely have to open stuff in Blazer.

I hope this helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by izzideluxe
    I think what you all are describing is an issue with the feeds you want to read, not the rss software you choose to read them with.

RSS can be fed as "full feeds," or the whole article/post, or "partial feeds," just a sentance or two, or maybe the first paragraph.

The NYT RSS feeds are partial. Nothing short of (that I know off) going to NYT.com will allow you to read full text.

I've been using QuickNews for about two years. Most of my feeds (except the NYT) are full feeds and I rarely have to open stuff in Blazer.

I hope this helps.
    Where in QuickNews can you select full feeds?
    My guess is that it has to do with the url he links to. I'll be searching out "full feeds" as well, later this afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by gapost
    Where in QuickNews can you select full feeds?
    Yep, you need to find feeds that provide the full articles rather than small portions..this is usually done deliberately to get you to the site to see various ads etc...

One nice thing QuickNews added in the latest beta is the ability to open the links automatically through a site compressor like Mobileleap or Sqweezer, which decreases load time.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."