1.    #1  
    I was trying to get the Internet radio working for Treo650.
    I installed the PTunes Delux (trial version) and from treobits.com clicked on one of the Internet Radio. It opens up PTunes but does not connect. It keeps saying "Reconnecting......" and does nothing after that.

I have TMobile with T-Zones.....

Anyone tried this ? or have a solution to get it working ?
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Sorry it won't work.
    Port 80 is blocked with tzones. U need the unlimited data plan for that. I tried it with tzones and I get that same message, but it runs very well with unlimited plan.
    Made this just for fun...I'm Kermit

Camel is correct - it is a port issue with tzones. All ports are blocked except for a few: 25, 110, 143, 993, and 995 (there may be others I'm not aware of). These are usually used as mail ports (particularly 25 for outgoing mail [SMTP] and 110 for incoming mail [POP]).

The only workaround I know of for streaming on a tzones plan is to set up your own Shoutcast server at home to play your collection of files or have the server rebroadcast the stations you want to listen to. You would basically "liberate" a couple ports on your PC that match a couple of those open tzones ports that you do have access to:

1. Use a free service like www.no-ip.com or www.dyndns.org to create an easy to remember URL that points to your home connection's IP address.

2. Make sure that port forwarding is turned on at your router to allow access to one of those open tzone's ports. Also make sure that your firewall software allows access to that same port. I'll use port 143 in my examples.

3. Set up the Shoutcast server config file to broadcast through port 143 (or, back in the port forwarding setup in step 2, you may have used 143 as the public port, but just about any other number you want as the private [Shoutcast server] port that 143 forwards to).

4. Once you get all the other Shoutcast server settings configured, you start the server and hit play on the PC's Winamp. You can choose a playlist you have there, a file, several files, or a URL.

5. On your Treo, point P-Tunes Deluxe to http://theipnameyouchoose.dyndns.org:143 and if you set everything up properly you should be streaming music from your home computer to your Treo.

6. www.browseamp.com has a WinAmp plugin that allows you to control you home WinAmp player remotely from any Web browser. If you set that up to be controlled through another one of the open tzones ports, 995, for example, you can use your Treo's browser to access http://theipnameyouchoose.dyndns.org:995 and choose your favorite stations whenever you want to as long as they are saved in the PC's WinAmp player as a playlist.

By the way, the BrowseAmp Ipaq skin is very Treo-friendly.

Hope that helps!
  4.    #4  
    Thanks... I will give it a try.
  5.    #5  
    I have setu everything up. But you mentioned point PTunes Deluxe to http://theipnameyouchoose.dyndns.org:143 .... How do i point the PTunes to the url . I don't see any option to do that .

I have PTunes Deluxe 3.1.1
    Quote Originally Posted by askmahesh
    I have setu everything up. But you mentioned point PTunes Deluxe to http://theipnameyouchoose.dyndns.org:143 .... How do i point the PTunes to the url . I don't see any option to do that .

I have PTunes Deluxe 3.1.1
    Hit the menu key, then select Actions -> Open -> change dropdown to Internet Audio -> select New button.
  7.    #7  
    I tried the steps to stream my music/Internet radio on my treo.

But it does not work.. I tried it from my other machine (laptop) inside the network thro winamp and it gives an error "Error in synching mpeg"

Any ideas ??
    Quote Originally Posted by askmahesh
    I tried the steps to stream my music/Internet radio on my treo.

But it does not work.. I tried it from my other machine (laptop) inside the network thro winamp and it gives an error "Error in synching mpeg"

Any ideas ??
    Have you tried this again lately? Are you getting a signal from the Shoutcast server on the host machine? In other words, do you get signal meters on the first tab of WinAmp's Shoutcast Source window on your main PC?
  9.    #9  
    Almost there ....
    I was missing the Shoutcast DSP plugin for Winamp. I installed it and now i can access my streaming audio from winamp client from other PCs . I cannot access it from Treo .
    Is htere any specific encoding to u\be used while streaming . I am streaming it @ 256kpbs 44KHz Stereo.
    What does your DSL Reports speed say? Try going to http://text.dslreports.com/mspeed on your Treo to check your mobile connection. Your encoding should be at or lower than your connection speed or else you'll get constant buffering.
  11.    #11  
    from my Treo it says 59kbps . Maybe thats the reason .
    K thanks ninodelsol.... for your help .
    Anytime! Let me know if you're able to stream to the Treo once you encode at a lower bitrate. I'm on a veeery slow connection (<35kbps), but it was fun using the PTunes trial just to know that I could stream from my PC. Once I get a faster connection (new carrier? new phone??? 700p??? ), I will be a streamin' fool.
  13.    #13  
    Wohooo!!!! Finally i got it working on my Treo 650
    I changed the Encoder on the Shoutcast source to 56kbps @ 22kHz Stereo and it works perfectly fine on my Treo. If you need to try it out checkout
    http://coolsite.no-ip.com:993. Today i am playing KNOW News radio.
    Again Thanks for your help...

My next thing is to have multiple playlist to choose from.....

BTW: is there a way to close/exit the PTunes player or just stop or changing to other applications does it ?
    If you change out of PTunes while it is paused, that is equivalent of exiting it.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    VERY happy for you, askmahesh! Have fun with it.
    I have the tmobileweb for $5.99 and I am able to listen to 128Kbps audio streams. You guys that had problems in the past might want to try it again, I think T-mo may have opened up some ports.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
  17.    #17  
    Are u streaming your own music or r u using directly from the PTunes ?
    direct... whatever I find via the webbrowser. I do seem to have problems with sending mail via gmail. Everything else works even mobitv. Even seems a bit faster. I just switched from the unlimited and now log on via t-zones configuration.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.