1.    #1  
    this may gave been covered before, (not gonna lie i didnt search this one first), I want to know if any of you more informed users of treo 650's know of a way to connect through dmz or some other way where i could access all the movies or music on my home computer and play them on my treo
    For music u can use gloonet. Its great
    Another popular option for music is to set up a Shoutcast server to do the streaming:

http://www.shoutcast.com/download/serve.phtml

...then control it through a browser (on your desktop or through your Treo) with a BrowserAmp plugin for Winamp:

http://www.browseamp.com/
    I found setting up my own Shoutcast server to be a difficult, unwieldy task; setting up Gloonet, on the other hand, was an absolute breeze. Very cool!

Shoutcast is terrific for 'Net radio broadcasts, though!
    Yeah, the way Shoutcast's server makes you edit that text config file blows - Gloonet has a much easier setup.

I ended up going with Shoutcast because Gloonet's server would just decide to stop every once in a while for no good reason.
    Another popular option is Slimserver. Works similarly to Gloonet but allows you to set up your own server, so that you are not beholden to another company's server and their whims.

Slim Devices

I'm currently running this and can access my home music both at work and from my Treo. Highly recommended!!!

-TR1
    Handspring Prism ---> PalmOne Treo650
    huge gloonet fan here.... highly recommended
    Yup, Gloonet rocks..
  9. ajg
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    With glunet, do i have to have a dedicated server, or can i use my home PC? And, can i remotely "turn it on" so my PC is not always streaming?
    Only streams when you use it
  11. ajg
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Can I stream a radio station which cannot be directly accessed by Ptunes?
    That's what I would like to know too. I would LOVE to be able to listen to Tom Lykus which streams some other filetype.
  13. ajg
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    WOW!!! After buying and streaming on PTunes, I did not think there was another cool piece of software that would have the WOW factor. Gloonet is way cool. In installed, configured and was streaming my local station on my Treo650 (which I otherwise could not stream) in 10 minutes. (I don't know if this was the best way of doing it, but in iTunes I saved the station in a playlist, to make it faster to find. From there, it was smooth sailing!).
    Yea.. to date, i think this is still the coolest thing i can do with my treo
    We're still talking just audio here, right?
    Anyone have a word on video?
    ~'kito
    I was just looking around for a video solution myself. Looks like the PocketPC folks have some UPNP video players, but none for Palm.

BTW, I was having problems serving up MP3's from my network drive (NAS) via Gloonet. I followed their tech support's suggestions of making a separate account for the share permissions, yadda yadda yadda - never worked. Today I tried Nero's MediaHome (which acts as a media server which Gloonet can interface) and it works great. Streams to PocketTunes just fine at 32K.

Now if we can find a streaming video player for the palm, that would rock.
    --
    Palm Pilot - Palm III - Palm V - Sprint Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 755p - Pre - 2.1.0 Pre w/ Uberkernel
    Sinclair 1000 - Apple ][+ - C64 - Apple //e - PowerBook 100 - Mac SE - Dell PC - Acer AspireOne - 11" MacBook Air
    Quote Originally Posted by emair
    I was just looking around for a video solution myself. Looks like the PocketPC folks have some UPNP video players, but none for Palm.

BTW, I was having problems serving up MP3's from my network drive (NAS) via Gloonet. I followed their tech support's suggestions of making a separate account for the share permissions, yadda yadda yadda - never worked. Today I tried Nero's MediaHome (which acts as a media server which Gloonet can interface) and it works great. Streams to PocketTunes just fine at 32K.

Now if we can find a streaming video player for the palm, that would rock.
    Kinoma can stream video..
    ajg - can you explain how you streamed the audio with gloonet? I'm talking about the audio we discussed before that ptunes couldn't stream