1.    #1  
    Ive got the BT338 and since Ive got it, on average it takes about 45-60 seconds before it obtains a connection with GPS satellites after turning it on. There have also been a few times where its taken up to 5 minutes and others where its connected about 5 seconds after turnin it on (doesnt happen very often, however).

I travel all over the country (east coast mainly) and I get the same results regardless of where Im located.

Im just curious if this is normal or if my reciever should be connecting quicker than this. Its a bit annoying when Im ready to go and Ive got to sit in my car waiting for it to establish a connection before I can plan my route.

Thanks!
    I use the Delorme BlueLogger and although I have not actually timed it, I would say it is between 15 and 30 seconds to get full satellite. Probably less to get 2D which is functional.
    I'm using the Mobile Crossing BT GPS, and in my experience it is realtively quick once you have a clear view of the sky. If you are doing something like turn it on and put it in your pocket while you walk to the car, I wouldn't count that time in your measurements. However, if you are setting it on your dash, and it takes that long, then I would question it. One other thing to consider, though, is the weather/sky conditions. Clouds can cause issues too.

LG VX9800
    Motorola HS-850
    Linksys USBBT100
    Mobile Crossing BT GPS

(R.I.P.)
    VZW Treo 650
    Treo Side Case
    I also have a BT338. I get an acquisition time of about 30-45 seconds on a cold start, usually less than 15 seconds on a warm start. Hot starts are almost immediate. Cloud cover and foliage can make a difference in how long it takes to get a signal.

Here are the BT338 published times for acquisition:
    ˙Reacquisition:0.1 sec., average
    ˙Hot start:1 sec., average
    ˙Warm start:38 sec., average
    ˙Cold start:42 sec., average
  5.    #5  
    whats the difference b/t a wam and hot start? as far as cold starts, mine takes about 2-3 minutes on average- which based on the few responses ive gotten so far, seems to be longer than normal...

seeing as how ive had this for less than a month, would this be something i should try to get a replacement for? do gps recievers have firmware upgrades? if so, any chance i have an older version??

Thanks again guys.
    Cold start
    The GPS receiver has a valid almanac stored. The Almanac data is valid for at least a year and most receivers store this data in battery backed RAM or non-volatile memory. TTFF is determined largely by the time taken to download a full ephemeris packet. This is determined by the satellite data rate of 50 bps and takes around 45 seconds depending on where in the message the system is at switch-on.
    Warm start
    The GPS receiver has valid ephemeris and almanac data but not accurate time.
    Hot start
    The GPS receiver has valid ephemeris, almanac and time
    Ephemeris
    Set of satellite orbital parameters used by a GPS receiver to calculate precise GPS satellite positions and velocities. The ephemeris is used in the determination of the navigation solution and is updated periodically by the satellite to maintain the accuracy of GPS receivers.
    There was a new firmware issued back in June or July (I think it was 3.1.1). You may want to contact them and discuss your concerns:
    USGLOBALSAT, INC.
    1308 John Reed Court, City of Industry, CA 91745
    Tel: 626-968-4145 / Fax: 626-968-4373
    Email: akotoff@usglobalsat.com
  7.    #7  
    I will try to do just that....

Just curious... how do identify what start state the reciever is in??
    Quote Originally Posted by durex
    I will try to do just that....

Just curious... how do identify what start state the reciever is in??
    Although I'm not positive, I believe it's a timing issue. Something like less than 2 hours from last GPS fix (the ephemeris data is still fresh) would probably be "hot", 2-6 hours "warm" and over 6 hours "cold". Again I'm not 100% on this but I think I've seen those kind of numbers somewhere before.

Found this, it may explain it better than I can.
    TTFF Definitions (PDF)
    Ive got the BT338 and since Ive got it, on average it takes about 45-60 seconds before it obtains a connection with GPS satellites after turning it on. There have also been a few times where its taken up to 5 minutes and others where its connected about 5 seconds after turnin it on (doesnt happen very often, however).

I travel all over the country (east coast mainly) and I get the same results regardless of where Im located.

Im just curious if this is normal or if my reciever should be connecting quicker than this. Its a bit annoying when Im ready to go and Ive got to sit in my car waiting for it to establish a connection before I can plan my route.

Thanks!
    I have two. Itrek and HOLUX GR-231. HOLUX is the fastest, 5-10 seconds. Itrek is 10-20. Not an issue. (I have had to pull over and wait for Hertz Neverlost to acquire.)
    durex -

I also have the BT-338 and my acquisition time is much like yours. If I'm in the car - 2-3 minutes upon cold start. If I set it outside the car - ~45 seconds.

Both warm and hot starts are very quick.
  11.    #11  
    ah- thanks a bunch for your reply ryan. perhaps its just the nature of the beast with the bt338's. warm and hot starts are very quick for me as well... its just those cold starts seem to take forever.
    its just those cold starts seem to take forever.
    Especially when you're staring at the little green light waiting for it to start blinking!
    Mine seems to take a while when in the car as well - I guess the more sky it has access to without anything, even glass or part of a car roof in the way - the better.
    Delorme Blue Logger .... runs under a minute under clear skies to partly cloudy. For some reason though.... at night it takes longer as short as 2 minutes and as long as 5 minutes at times.
    I don't think my BlueLogger has taken more than a minute at any given time.