1.    #1  
    I installed PdaNet 3.2.0619 for the Treo 650 on my Windows XP Pro SP 2 IBM T30 laptop. I intend to use it to dial my ISP's dial up number using my Treo 650 and a USB cable. Cingular is my provider. My DSL/ dial up account is with Bellsouth.

PdaNet installed properly on both the laptop and Treo 650. Pushing "Connect" on the Treo causes the Bellsouth dial up dialog to appear on the laptop. Clicking "Dial" causes the following:

-A few bytes are quickly exchanged (91 bytes received and 76 sent) between the laptop and the Treo.
    -Error 777 (The connection attempt failed because the modem (or other connecting device) on the remote computer is out of order.) immediately appears.

If I try to redial, Error 633 (The modem (or other connecting device) is already in use or not configured properly.) is received.

I uninstalled Zone Alarm, disabled Norton Auto-Protect, and disabled (but did not uninstall) the internal modem to no avail. The device manager normally shows PdaNet as a listed modem along with the laptop's internal modem.

I confirmed the dial up number is a good number by dialing it from the Treo 650 and hearing my ISP's modem answer.

Error 777 appears so quickly after clicking on "Dial" that it does not appear the Treo has attempted to dial it. A few months back I tried to use the Treo 600 version of PdaNet with my old Treo 600 and had similar results.

I am out of ideas for additional troubleshooting.

Help to make PdaNet work properly would certainly be appreciated.

I confirmed the dial up number is a good number by dialing it from the Treo 650 and hearing my ISP's modem answer.
    Please correct me if Im wrong but the idea of PDANet is that it uses your cellphones data service to provide the internet connection. I dontthink you should be trying to dial your ISP's dial-up connetion.

I use PDANet on the Sprint 650 network and it works very well indeed. As you go thru setup of PDANet it asks you which cell provider you use and all you do is choose your listed provider. The only other thing to watch for is that PDANet on your laptop is using the correct COM port assigned for your 'bluetooth modem'. Hope this helps somewhat.
    Click for Free iPod Nano or better. - really works!
    Hey RhoXS....

PDANET uses the same com port connection to the computer as Hotsync does with the cable. If you are hotsyncing with the cable and trying to connect PDANET with the cable, you have a com port conflict on the computer.

In the system tray on the 'puter, click the hotsync icon and uncheck the local usb connection at the top of the window. This should get PDANET connection with the cable going.

Do the opposite with PDANET if you want to hotsync.

I use PDANET with my computer. What I do is Hotsync with the cable because it fast than bluetooth and I use bluetooth connection to the computer with PDANET. This uses a different com port. Hence, no com port confict and I don't have to remember to disable a hotsync connection to use PDANET and visa versa with the cable.

Chuck
  4.    #4  
    Chuck, thank you for the good advice. I was very optimistic that this would solve the problem. Unfortunately, I still receive the same error 777 message.

I first tried using the USB cable by unchecking the USB connection from the Hotsynch tray icon pop up menu as you suggested. When this did not work I just terminated the Hotsynch app. I then tried using a Bluetooth connection. Then, I completely uninstalled the already disabled laptop internal modem. The same sequence occurred with each variation including the exact same number of bytes received and sent.

The Treo is obviously communicating with the laptop but it seems something stops the process from initiating the call. I wonder if the Cingular Sim card is able to prevent an external application from dialing a number? The phone is unbranded with ROW software.

Magohn, you are correct that it is really the intent to use the providers data service. However, PdaNet is supposed to let you either use the providers data service or dial an independent ISP's modem. About a year ago I used Cingular's $40.00/month service for three months or so. It was unreliable and too slow when it was available to be useful. Also, my only real need to dial my ISP away from home/office is to check email on the rare occassions when I do not have access any other way. I use my phone so little that I have a balance of over 12,000 roll over minutes. I have plenty available minutes to burn to call my ISP every once in a while. Since I paid for everyone of these unused minutes, I really could care less if Cingular has a problem doing this. I could be like my wife and tie up infrastructure talking for every one of her thousands of plan minutes a month (she uses it for business).
    Quote Originally Posted by RhoXS
    Chuck, thank you for the good advice. I was very optimistic that this would solve the problem. Unfortunately, I still receive the same error 777 message.

I first tried using the USB cable by unchecking the USB connection from the Hotsynch tray icon pop up menu as you suggested. When this did not work I just terminated the Hotsynch app. I then tried using a Bluetooth connection. Then, I completely uninstalled the already disabled laptop internal modem. The same sequence occurred with each variation including the exact same number of bytes received and sent.

The Treo is obviously communicating with the laptop but it seems something stops the process from initiating the call. I wonder if the Cingular Sim card is able to prevent an external application from dialing a number? The phone is unbranded with ROW software.

Magohn, you are correct that it is really the intent to use the providers data service. However, PdaNet is supposed to let you either use the providers data service or dial an independent ISP's modem. About a year ago I used Cingular's $40.00/month service for three months or so. It was unreliable and too slow when it was available to be useful. Also, my only real need to dial my ISP away from home/office is to check email on the rare occassions when I do not have access any other way. I use my phone so little that I have a balance of over 12,000 roll over minutes. I have plenty available minutes to burn to call my ISP every once in a while. Since I paid for everyone of these unused minutes, I really could care less if Cingular has a problem doing this. I could be like my wife and tie up infrastructure talking for every one of her thousands of plan minutes a month (she uses it for business).
    Hey again...

Okay, I think I understand what you are trying to do. It appears you are trying to dial a dial up connection through the phone for the computer. If you already set up a custom modem connection in PDANET on the computer, it may be your carrier is not allowing the connection to go through.

Chuck