1.    #1  
    i realized why i couldn't hear any of the normal sounds or audio/min wasn't working during phone calls... because my treo thinks that the headset is plugged in... but it is not!

when i plug a headset into the botton... things sound normal and work through the headset, but when i remove it... the phone still thinks it's plugged in.

how can I fix this? any ideas or suggestions? Please respond ASAP!!! Thanks.
  2.    #2  
    nevermind... i just fixed it... after playing with the headset jack further... i was able to get it fixed somehow.... i tried before... but i guess it just took some persistance.
    This is actually a well known hardware problem with the Treo's. You should think about getting a replacement if this happens again.

The problem is with the solder connections on the headset jack. They can become broken very easily. When this happens, your Treo will think it perminantly has a headset plugged into the headset jack. The following things are possible symptopms of the problem:

1) You loose sounds to your handset speaker
    2) You loose sounds to your speakerphone speaker
    3) Your MIC stops working - people can no longer hear you

One or more of the above will happen depending on what connections have actaully failed on the headset jack.

You can sometimes get everything working again by moving the headset jack. But this is probably a short term fix.

Jeff
    Anyone had any success fixing this? Any ideas which solder connection it is exactly? My third replacement unit (just received) is now having this problem.

I'm about to give up on the Treo 650 all together. 3 replacements, with no more than a week's use out of each is unacceptable.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmsx3
    Looks as if I had to order a warranty replacement.. But in the interim, I figured out a trick (I beat the Treo LOL). If you turn the bluetooth on and when you recieve or make a call you can use the screen to turn it off manually and then from there if no device (Bluetooth) is found, the phone will default automatically and it has worked perfectly! I am able to hear and talk via the phone. No earpiece is necessary! Wooo hooo!

The 1st signs to my problem were the static break-up on the headset and I had to "wiggle" the jack around as well quite often.
    Quote Originally Posted by keltorsori
    Anyone had any success fixing this? Any ideas which solder connection it is exactly? My third replacement unit (just received) is now having this problem.

I'm about to give up on the Treo 650 all together. 3 replacements, with no more than a week's use out of each is unacceptable.
    My new treo had it since day one. It seems the problem is in the jack, not the soldering of the jack. The jack has 6 pads that are soldered for the 4 poles (conductors). The 2 extra are:

1) switched left channel, which disconnects when the jack is inserted

2) unswitched right channel.

(p.s. developers guide shows the reverse, which incorrect!)

Basically, current for the right channel flows in one way and out the other, no matter if something is plugged in or not. The problem is that these contacts are 2 separate pieces and don't make good contact and loosen up with time.

Other experience problems of unsoldered pads, but I beleive the major problem is actually in the jack. A simple bridge between the two pads with a wire will fix the problem.

I think Palm initially tried to do something else in regards with switching in the jack (the doc error suggest it) and changed it last minute.

Anybody eles look at the jack in detail?
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Don't ever use the headset jack... Sorry, but that's about the only solution I can think of since people are experiencing this problem even with moderate gentle use of said jack.

The Cardo Scala 500 BT headset is $30 if you look around, and does quite well. As for playing music through the headset jack, dunno what to tell you there.
    Just had it myself after 7 months of no problem. Replaced the unit which, other than need to reinstall a buncha software, is not a bad thing since gotta shiny case, and some of the keys were getting fussy. Altogether I think it wise to have a "failure" just before the warranty is up and get a new unit to launch into no_warranty_land.

BTW: complements to CNG CS. No hassle with return, quick service.
    Mike Caldwell
    Well, I'll try for another warranty replacement in the morning. I'm not a very happy Palm customer these days
    You can use Freedom.... It works like a charm... You just have to re enable it after every reset.... But I had the same problem but not since i installed Freedom found here Freedom 1.4
    Freedom does not fix a broken jack. I guess it would give you your internal speaker back.... i would try it!
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Yup it gives you your audio back...and you can reroute it into the back speaker or build in head set.
    Quote Originally Posted by xFilthyxJesusx
    Yup it gives you your audio back...and you can reroute it into the back speaker or build in head set.
    Yes and in your case the jack wasn't broken in the manner normally "observed." Your jack was physically ripped out of the Treo (gone). I find it kind of amazing that Freedom solved that issue.

--
    Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman!
    Yes and in your case the jack wasn't broken in the manner normally "observed." Your jack was physically ripped out of the Treo (gone). I find it kind of amazing that Freedom solved that issue.

--
    Mike

Ya me too but it did. Thnx for your help as well Tinman!