Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    what soap powder did you use to clean your Treo?
  2.    #42  
    Hey everyone,

sorry for not posting an update sooner, just wanted to be sure of things before I posted about any success. Let me just say that I put it back together Wednesday of last week and have been running it with much joy ever since! My wife says I have mad laundry Karma. Ha. Yes, the spots are gone too.

Having something like this happen really makes you appreciate what matters in life, like our little friend Treo.

ekerbuddy: I believe it was "All"?
    current: GSM Unlocked, SonyEricsson T610 Unlocked
    macuser: AI 1.5 & Pismo 500
    pics man, pics! Good job, you restored your precious treo. I am glad I don't wash my clothes... J/K i have my treo in my hand if it isn't in my pockets. Don't wash your treo anymore!
    PDA History

Treo 90 > Sony Clie SJ-20 > Tungsten E > HP Ipaq 4355 > Dell Axim X30 > Tungsten T|3 > Tungsten T|5 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Tungsten T|5 > Tungsten E|2 > Tungsten T|X > Blackberry 7250 > Treo 650 (Current)

Functional Palms
    Treo 650, T|X, and T|E2

Too Many Palms!!!
    Great Job!! We love watching these little dramas play out.. . . .
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Wow, that was amazing! This was good to read as I seem to be partial to electronics dunking over years myself...
    Quote Originally Posted by neps
    Yep, I'm an ***. Just found my Treo on the bottom of the laundry machine.
    How stupid! Treos should ALWAYS be hand washed.

Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    This weekend I fell into a lake with my Treo 650 in my jeans pocket. As soon as I got out of the lake I removed the battery, placed the Treo inside my car, and haven't turned it on since.

From the outside my Treo appears healthy but if I press near the top of the LCD I can see there's a tiny amount of water settled where the screen meets the top of the phone.

I'm wondering if I should try fans and ziplocks without dismantling the Treo and then power it up and see if it works or if I should start by dismantling the Treo and cleaning and drying it thorougly.
    ok, I just got my treo 650 yesterday evening. I also ordered every accesory imaginable for it, Of course I had not received anything except the phone and extended battery so I decided to go to the movies with it and show it off. I went to the bathroom afterwards and had it in the front pocket of my hoodie so right when I finished using the bathroom and was zipping up my fly, it fell in the toilet full of pee. I quickly pulled it out and dried it off with paper towels, I took the battery out and in the car held it up against the fully blowing vent with warm air coming out, when I got home I blew dried it thouroghly for about 45 mins. I also called all of the people I know who had the same problem as me and theirs didnt make it but theirs was in plain water. I had it next to the hair dryer on warm but not hot for the last 30 mins, and just recently put in in a tupperwear container and put a light on it, as I read to do, I had no silica gel packs either for some reason. I wondered if there is anything else I should do, thanks
    At least you didn't drop it into a bowl of #2.
    Yes, you did great -- battery OUT as soon as possible !!

SILICA PACKETS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do not put the battery back in until you are sure it is dry !!

I would go to a pharmacy tomorrow or an electonics store and ask for any silca packets they can find. Put the Treo in a sealed zip lock on a sunny window sill with as many or those that they can find. Leave it in there for a day or more. Those packets will suck any moisture left in it -- right out -- even between the screen layers.

As for pee. . . . . . . . If you had dropped it in salt water -- you must rinse the Treo (battery out of course) with regular water -- dried salt on the electronics will eventually corode them. Not sure about urine. I am not sure on whether to tell you to start over with a rinse of clear water or not.

Sorry I cannot be more decisive on that.

Good luck.
    Last edited by gtwo; 12/09/2006 at 11:31 PM.
    thanks I will try that and I will keep you posted :0
    Last edited by sbccdancer2; 12/10/2006 at 02:58 PM. Reason: ?
    hey, I just tried it out and it works perfectly, I have tested everything, and it is as good as new, and looks that way too. I really dont think all that much water go into it anyways! thanks so much, it is perfect and it doesnt even smell its great! thanks a million
    Wow! 3 submerged Treo stories and all Treos ended up functioning again!

Gotta love happy endings!

..Handspring...\..........Palm.........\.........Palm........\.........Palm......\.....Motorola.....
    .VisorDeluxe.../............Vx.........../........M-100......./......Treo650.../.......Droid........
    Wow, this was the best thread I've read in a long long time.

It was a wonderful stories and had me going with each and every message that was posted by everyone giving great advice and watching the final outcome.

This thread should be printed out and mailed to Palm's marketing department it would make a great commerical.

I had drop a Motorola StarTek and in toilet once years ago just like this other guy said, it fell out of my shirt pocket. I took the battery out as well and let it dry and it managed to come back to life as well.

I am surprised that there wasn't any dry spot left over on the screen. I always get spots on my glass wear when I run the dishwasher even with the spot remover stuff.

Again, great story, no make that great reality story!!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

I have another (apparently) good news story. Saturday I dropped my Treo 650 into a glass of water shortly after lunch - while the PDA was on. It was only in the water a few seconds and the screen stayed on for about another minute, so I didn't think there was going to be a problem. However, the Treo was non-functional for the remainder of the day.

I found this forum thread that afternoon and tried drying out the Treo by shaking it and using some of the techniques suggested here including using a hair dryer. I then went to a local Walgreen's and got several silica packs to help dry it out. I put the Treo into a sealed plastic container with the silica packs around 5PM. By around 9PM, the Treo start-up screen did appear when I inserted the battery, but then the screen went blank after that and the keyboard still was illuminated. So, I removed the battery again and put it back into the container and checked it again in the morning.

At 5AM Sunday, things still looked bleak: start-up screen, then blank with keyboard on. Out came the battery again and back in the container it went. However, I checked it again around 8:30 AM and this time start-up was normal. I turned the phone on it found my network. I turned on my bluetooth headset and made a call - no problems!! But .... a few minutes later I discovered that once the screen blanked that I could not wake up the PDA. So again I removed the battery and put everything back into the container again for about another hour. Since then, every thing has seemed fine with my spare battery, although I'm still not sure about the battery that was in the Treo at the time of the incident. I know that it has only been a day - but so far so good!!!
    Hi People,

I was doing laundy today and i noticed my treo 700p phone was washed. it went thru probuably 20 minutes of the cycle.

so i took it out,i took the battery out and blow dryed it and i then googled what else to do and it brought me here.

so i took it apart and put in a tubberwear thing it one of those "Do Not Eat" asprine thingys.

is there anything else i can do- i googled it and one post said to submerge it in rubbing alcohal

is that true has anyone tried it

thanks]

Mel
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I am amazed how common it appears that our phones are being dropped in water. To me it is incomprehensible. These are like mini-computers at about the price of a cheap laptop. But, accidents do happen and it is even more amazing that this little treo seems capable of taking the pounding/drowning and coming out the other side ok. Good news I guess if I become part of the treo drowners out there.
    Robkz

Accidents do happen. I have a 700p now but back when I first got my 650 it drowned while I went surf fishing. I had my phone in my tackle box and a fox ( im not kidding) tried to run off with my tacklebox while I was reeling in a fish. It dropped the tackle box in the surf and ran away. I have pictures and everything.
    Before that happen I was like you in that I could not imagine how a phone could
    get wet. Thats why they are called accidents.
    I fish and hunt and there is no way I would ever go out into nature without a phone. Now that we can use the treo as a hand held gps device , it's amazing it dosen't happen more

The funny part is that the phone still worked after it dried. The only problem I had was that much later the contacts on the bottomofthe phone corroded and they replaced the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald600 View Post
    Robkz

Accidents do happen. I have a 700p now but back when I first got my 650 it drowned while I went surf fishing. I had my phone in my tackle box and a fox ( im not kidding) tried to run off with my tacklebox while I was reeling in a fish. It dropped the tackle box in the surf and ran away. I have pictures and everything.
    Before that happen I was like you in that I could not imagine how a phone could
    get wet. Thats why they are called accidents.
    I fish and hunt and there is no way I would ever go out into nature without a phone. Now that we can use the treo as a hand held gps device , it's amazing it dosen't happen more

The funny part is that the phone still worked after it dried. The only problem I had was that much later the contacts on the bottomofthe phone corroded and they replaced the phone.

Since you said surf -- salt water will corrode the internal electronics even after the water is gone. So, for all you future readers, if your Treo went for a salt water swim -- remove the battery as soon as possible and then rinse the Treo(dunk it) in clear water for awhile and then start the dry out processes. I would never be too anxious to put the battery back in. . . . . . hair dryer, fan, whatever . . . . . to get the majority of water out . . . . then let it sit at least a day or two in the sealed ziplock with as many as the silica packets as you can find. Then try the battery back in.

Cheers, Perry.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast