Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    I remember some people here trying to rationalize how super duper awesome their 650 is and that "11 MB is for power users only" and that I should get an SD card. Yeah, it's just as good as having RAM and all you need to do is futz with this and that and get ZLauncher.

Well the big joke of it is that Verizon's 1.4 ROM upgrade, which I'll probably need because I'm having Internet connectivity issues, requires 11MB FREE RAM. So much for the "use your SD card" BS. If that were the case then Palm would have made the updater be able to run off that free SD card that some of you got.

The fact that Palm anticipates that you will have to delete a bunch of applications just to install this upgrade is proof in itself that Palm knew it underpowered the 650.

While I've enjoyed knowing my phone, this will very likely be my very last Palm phone. There is no way I'm upgrading to the next version (whatever that is... Windows Mobile... how funny.) Not only will we get something underpowered I'm finished buying my third set of accessories for the Treo series.
    You could just hard reset and create a temp user name then perform the update and resynch with your original user name.

Your rant seems a bit silly. I mean it only takes the 11Mb DURING the update after that it's fine....Relax a little. You'll live longer.
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonman
    You could just hard reset and create a temp user name then perform the update and resynch with your original user name.

Your rant seems a bit silly. I mean it only takes the 11Mb DURING the update after that it's fine....Relax a little. You'll live longer.
    Let's see... considering I have to empty HALF of the RAM available to me that's not exactly a thrill. And if you think I'm going to resynch with my original name off the HD, then you've never experienced the joys of corruption that frequently come with it.

The rant is absolutely justified. It sticks the nail into the coffin of those who were defending the 32MB of RAM as being absolutely adequate for all except for a few power users. To them I say admit it and complain to Palm or they will continue to dump underpowered crap and overpowered prices.

I'm getting a good laugh at the reports of 64MB of RAM in the Windows Mobile device. Hey, it's a lot more RAM but compared to other units it's a joke.
  4. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    Let's see... considering I have to empty HALF of the RAM available to me that's not exactly a thrill. And if you think I'm going to resynch with my original name off the HD, then you've never experienced the joys of corruption that frequently come with it.
    You should HR every once and a while, I do and it frees up 2MB after it has been like 2 months or so. Instead of Re-Hotsyncing try a backup program(BackUpMan), that is what I use. The backup prog will make your life alot easier.

The rant is absolutely justified. It sticks the nail into the coffin of those who were defending the 32MB of RAM as being absolutely adequate for all except for a few power users. To them I say admit it and complain to Palm or they will continue to dump underpowered crap and overpowered prices.
    Write a letter to them. We already have enough threads moaning and groaning about your subject.

I'm getting a good laugh at the reports of 64MB of RAM in the Windows Mobile device. Hey, it's a lot more RAM but compared to other units it's a joke.
    If it is such a problem wait for the 700W.
    For all Palm firmware upgrades II ALWAYS just make a full image with backupman, hard reset, load the upgrade and let 'er run (while plugged into a power source if possible). With the 650 you need to move all your pics over to the SD first, since presently backupman can't save them.

I would NEVER try a firmware upgrade with anything other than a newly hard-reset Palm: too many variables with having installed programs that could interfere with the process, not to mention the pain of shuffling around enough apps to make the space.

Although I agree with you that the amount of RAM in the 650 absolutely sucks, the example you give doesn't really help. Always make a full backup and hard reset before firmware updates, you'll lower your blood pressure exponentially.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Thanks Joad, I remember your good posts.

Fortunately I made a full backup. Something conflicts with 1.4 now and guess what... reset... reset... reset.... reset....

NRG... When you've been kicked in the face by Palm repeatedly you don't go back to the horse for a 700W. By the time that comes out I may be long gone to Windows Mobile unfortunately. Palm has nobody but themselves to blame and the CEO who got bonuses for performance...
    Thanks Slinky.

I left out another important caveat: to restore most recent Palm models from Backupman I always go with the 'restore individual files' option. Usually starting in 'safe mode' (reset holding the 5-way 'up'), begin with saved and unsaved prefs and the basic PIMs (if this fails, leave out unsaved prefs on the second attempt). If it comes up ok, make another backup image then slowly add a series of apps from the old image in stages, from simple to more complicated apps. I've found that the 'individual files' trick will often load all my old apps at times a 'full restore' won't.

Hope this is useful!
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Thanks Joad. I've had another little "trick" that I would use. I do a soft reset. Usually going into the Palm OS home screen sets off the resets -- so I don't. I use the phone "favorites" app and have a link to Uninstall. That launches Uninstall and I can pull out the apps, one by one, until I find the culprit. At this point I figure I'll just go ahead and do a full reinstall, as much of a pain as that is going to be, and then do a clean backup with the new ROM.

Much appreciated and great tip as well. I'll have to try that when the new system crashes, lol.
    According to the instructions for the upgrade, you are suppose to do a hot sync, do a hard reset, re-hotsync with a temporary user name, then go sync in the new firmware. That way, you will have plenty of ram and a clean install for the upgrade.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I've found there are 2 essential elements to make a ROM upgrade easy. After copying the upgrade file onto the card, and backing up (I've tried them all, but find Resco backup to restore more quickly and thoroughly than any other), do a HARD RESET.

Then copy that upgrade file from the card to the treo ram (requires some app on the card to copy, such as McFile, Filez, etc). Then REMOVE the card. People have had less problems with the upgrade by making sure there is NO card in the SD slot.

Then upgrade the ROM. Once completed, put card back in treo, and restore from the backup on the card.

This process requires no change in hotsync names, and has worked flawlessly on the last 2 ROM upgrades.
    nice post PDADOC. Although I haven't tried yet, it sounds like you've got a solid "process" that's worked very well for you.

one question, though. WRT the latest ROM upgrade (for unlocked GSM 650s), it sounds like the 11MB of files that are loaded are part of a hotsync/install/executable. Would the process you describe cover this? or more to the point, have you actually tried the "process" with the latest ROM upgrade?

Thanks in advance,

abjomijay
    I always do a hard reset before I install an upgrade it makes life much easier than I reinstall all the prc's it really does not take me that long I have a system down. You can install it from the SD card in fact that is the way I did it but it takes a bit of work.

I am not sure who supported the low memory in this unit, even for casual users you can blow out 32 megs in no time.
    The 700w will need 64 megs if it is running Windows Mobile.
    It is so easy to hotsync before, do a hard reset, do the update, then restore using the standard hotsync procedure. Where's the problem with that? Only takes a few minutes for me.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Doesn't matter. As per my last post apparently the upgrade to the OS is causing several apps to cause endless loop resets. My apps were virtually all the latest versions so this is going to take a while. It's "Garnet." Unless those fixes also include an ability to add a wifi card then I'm not seeing any benefits...
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    abjomijay- can't answer specifically for gsm phones. But I did use the process I described for the verizon 1.04 rom upgrade, which went fine.
    Thanks for the reply, PDADoc.

Sorry for all the questions. Since the updgrade (44 files) is so large and needs the 11MB of memory, was your first step hotsyncing the files to the SD card directly, or did you first clear internal RAM and move to the SD card?

Finally - is the upgrade worth all the pain? if so, what was the biggest benefit?

Many thanks,
    abjomijay
    I commented on an earlier thread, I'm sitting this (VZW) upgrade out. There's not enough there for me to justify even the 1 hr it will take to do the upgrade and re-tweak a few applications.

Besides, mine has been really solid lately.
    -jeff

...the Truth will set you free!
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    It's finally working. I seem to have even freed some extra memory. So far I'm not having the Internet connection problem any more but I'm guessing that has to do with modifying the phone to work with the network. I'd say this is a must upgrade but be prepared.

I just want that damned WiFi SD card capability already. It's bad enough there isn't enough RAM.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    abjomijay- I'm a bit confused regarding "44 files".... The ROM upgrade is ONE file (not sure of the exact name, but something like TreoVerizon-1.04.prc (that is NOT the exact name, but it doesn have 1.04 in it). It is basically a single, installer file. Using my method the single .prc file is copied over from the card to RAM, the card is then removed, and the file is then launched (which then installs the new ROM- takes a few minutes). If this seems confusing, you might want to stick with the "default" directions from palm....good luck!
    I don't get the point of the rant about only having 11m free, when the Treo is clean it has almost 22m of free ram available. 8 of the 10 is the firmware/rom software and the other 2 is likely dbcache or something.

Yes, 64m would have been more appropriate but it's not a huge deal. Use ZLauncher or what not to move programs and data to SD card.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast