Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    I don't get the point of the rant about only having 11m free, when the Treo is clean it has almost 22m of free ram available. 8 of the 10 is the firmware/rom software and the other 2 is likely dbcache or something.

Yes, 64m would have been more appropriate but it's not a huge deal. Use ZLauncher or what not to move programs and data to SD card.
    The only word I have to say to respond is "wrong!!!" I'm usually more patient and apologize in advance.... But I've heard this reasoning why it isn't "necessary" so often to become just irritating, no offense khaytsus.

Half my apps will not run off the card, period. Email programs like Snapper specifically state they won't because of the Palm OS. Other large programs will not work as well, e.g. Mobi-systems office professional which is 6 MB for the suite of 3 excellent applications. We haven't even talked about the real performance hit of needing to have these applications copied into RAM AND the need to have lots of free RAM to run current apps, especially those using large amounts of data like Mapopolis. You should be fine if you just use your Treo to play Pac Man but I thought that a $600 phone should be equipped with the basics. Looks like the 700m is yet another laugher and I hope it smacks Palm right in the face.

I'd love to file a class action lawsuit against Palm and against people individually at Palm responsible for this using the legal tort of "intentional infliction of emotional distress." Punitive damages should be awarded for this kind of corner cutting.
    wtf.. You were *****ing about 11M being free, now you're *****ing about the fact that applications on the SD card must be copied into ram first to work. Well guess what, that's how it works for *.. PC's too.

Yes, you have to have enough ram free to run programs.. Again.. Same as *.

And *every program I've ever tried* will run off the SD card that does not need to stay resident.. If you're not using Snapper to periodically retrieve mail automatically, it too can be on SD card, believe me, I run it from there myself. Obviously stuff that runs all the time has to be in ram, see paragraph above.

I think you just don't understand computers period. And as for the class lawsuit against Palm for your distress.. Get a clue.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    wtf.. You were *****ing about 11M being free, now you're *****ing about the fact that applications on the SD card must be copied into ram first to work. Well guess what, that's how it works for *.. PC's too.

Yes, you have to have enough ram free to run programs.. Again.. Same as *.

And *every program I've ever tried* will run off the SD card that does not need to stay resident.. If you're not using Snapper to periodically retrieve mail automatically, it too can be on SD card, believe me, I run it from there myself. Obviously stuff that runs all the time has to be in ram, see paragraph above.
    1) I'm talking about error free usage and without performance hits that come off using the card.
    2) Not that they are essential in a phone but you've obviously never used video apps. Don't work at all or well, period.
    2a) Oh wait, did you ever try using your phone for IM on the Internet? Try the popular Verichat. I'm happy that all your games work for you on the SD card.
    3) Yes, I use Snapper to periodically retreive mail like numerous other business users.
    4) In the event I forget to put my SD card back in the phone after transferring data it's "goodbye essential app" and there is no good reason for it. What workaround is there for that?
    5) As I stated earlier, some apps like Mapopolis and Act require a lot of FREE RAM. There is no workaround. Others like OfficePro have been reported not to work well, if at all, off the SD card.

I think you just don't understand computers period. And as for the class lawsuit against Palm for your distress.. Get a clue.
    Yeah, right. I know exactly what happens when you run apps off of any external storage media and apparently you don't. When you make broad sweeping statements like you do your undermine your own credibility.

If you still insist 32MB of RAM is plenty then you can argue til you're blue in the face with all the other frustrated users here and be labeled a fanboy.
    This is soooo silly,

Have you ever tried doing a Rom update on another platform like WM? For example, every time I've done a Rom update on my Axim x50v, the installed by DEFAULT does a hard reset! If I don't backup my data, I lose it all!

How the heck is this any different than on the Treo when you a backup and then installing the update using a temp proifile like most people here do, and then just simply restoring all your data later?

What a useless thread...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Yeah, yawn..
    I'd rather be "labled" a fanboy than act like acrybaby.

Of course that's just my opinion...
    I could be wrong.
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    If you still insist 32MB of RAM is plenty then you can argue til you're blue in the face with all the other frustrated users here and be labeled a fanboy.
    You started this thread with a straw-man argument. The very instructions to install the update require a hard-reset. Ergo, RAM is not an issue for the update.

When confronted with this fact you went on a rant that had little to do with the original post in this thread.

Wouldn't it have been easier to just say, "oops, my bad?"

--
    Mike
    4) In the event I forget to put my SD card back in the phone after transferring data it's "goodbye essential app" and there is no good reason for it. What workaround is there for that?
    What kind of workaround would you like? In the event you forget to put your SD card back in the phone, there's nobody to blame but yourself.

Maybe Palm needs to add a message at power up that says "Hey stupid! Did you remember to insert your SD card?"
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    yeah, i think you should always have a backup on you pc as well as your card that way you can't go wrong,and you'll always have you apps/info no matter what....overall the memory issue isnt a big factor for me, between my 2 gig card,powerrun and pxaclocker i can wait the extra second it takes to "load" the apps into RAM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    What kind of workaround would you like? In the event you forget to put your SD card back in the phone, there's nobody to blame but yourself.

Maybe Palm needs to add a message at power up that says "Hey stupid! Did you remember to insert your SD card?"
    is this any way for Moderator to talk - calling people stupid, maybe take a look in the mirror.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    This is soooo silly,

What a useless thread...
    Gee, then don't contibute??
    Quote Originally Posted by ttrundle
    is this any way for Moderator to talk
    Am I not able to post my opinion?

The "stupid" comment wasn't aimed at anyone specific... it was a general statement.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Am I not able to post my opinion?
    Yes, you should be able to have an opinion, moderator or not, as long as your opinions do not influence your moderation. IMHO.

The "stupid" comment wasn't aimed at anyone specific... it was a general statement.
    That is clearly a grey area. How would you have interpreted that comment if someone else made it? Regardless of your intent, it does read like a personal attack. Again, this is just my opinion. As I recall, personal attacks are not tolerated and a mod's decision about such is not questionable. If you were not a mod, my guess would be that you would at the very least be warned for such a remark.

That being said...I agree with the statement 100%.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    I'd love to file a class action lawsuit against Palm and against people individually at Palm responsible for this using the legal tort of "intentional infliction of emotional distress." Punitive damages should be awarded for this kind of corner cutting.
    This is both the funniest and most pathetic statement I have read in a long time. Palm caused you emotional distress? How? By forcing you to buy a device that did not have the hardware requirements to meet your extroardinary needs?

The mentality expressed in your statement makes me sick to my stomache. This country is far too litigious. It is ONE of our biggest downfalls. Perhaps palm should be able to sue users who cannot follow simple directions? That makes just as much sense to me.
    - Albert Einstein
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonman
    I'd rather be "labled" a fanboy than act like acrybaby.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ars/fanboy.jpg

MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    - Albert Einstein
    Oh, that's too funny!!
    Guilty as charged.

Insertion, you are always good for a laugh. Thanks again for for the avatar humor.
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    Quote Originally Posted by ttrundle
    Gee, then don't contibute??

Uh... I did and have done much more on this forum which is more than I can say for the gargled diarrhea you have contributed around here...

Most of the mods here were active posters long before they became mods. That doesn't mean we should shut up for the sake of being PC...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Its never a useless thread when we get to see your avatar again.
    ;-))
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Uh... I did and have done much more on this forum which is more than I can say for the gargled diarrhea you have contributed around here...

Most of the mods here were active posters long before they became mods. That doesn't mean we should shut up for the sake of being PC...
    again I ask, doesn't becoming a moderator mean being held to a higher standard. Able to maintain consistent, non-reactive moderation, not personal attacks such as calling someone's contributions "gargled diarrhea" Grow up man and stop with the stick and stones...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast