Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
    Ah so after installing the 1.12a/E911_Firmware_Updater.prc , even a hard reset won't get rid of it and only installing a new ROM would get rid of it?

So there is no way to integrate E911_Firmware_Updater.prc into the custom ROM before installing the custom ROM on my Treo 650?

Also, for this:

Quote Originally Posted by Tem
    Alright flashed again leaving in the:
    LauncherApp_enUS.oprc

And removing the:
    LauncherApp_SPCS.cprc
    LauncherApp_SPCS_enUS.lprc

And all is perfect.

Did you need to replace those Sprint customizations for the launcher, with something else? What shows in place now instead of the Sprint Customizations since you removed them?

Thanks so much for all of your time and help!
    Last edited by IsLNdbOi; 12/01/2005 at 01:59 AM.
  2.    #142  
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    Ah so after installing the 1.12a/E911_Firmware_Updater.prc , even a hard reset won't get rid of it and only installing a new ROM would get rid of it?
    correct

So there is no way to integrate E911_Firmware_Updater.prc into the custom ROM before installing the custom ROM on my Treo 650?
    You would have to capture a ROM that already had it in it. But I don't know how to extract a base ROM from the phone itself, nor do I need to since running the 911 updater places it in ROM. The file the 911 updater places in ROM is not backed up and its not shown with a resco explorer or captured with backup buddy. If you place the updater itself in ROM your phone would be in a never ending reset loop.

Also, for this:

Did you need to replace those Sprint customizations for the launcher, with something else? What shows in place now instead of the Sprint Customizations since you removed them?

Thanks so much for all of your time and help!
    I did not replace them. I tapped all over the PDA for 20 minutes and didn't see anything missing.
    Thanks again Tem! I'll be trying my custom ROM today.
    Before I do this, should I format my 64MB SD card in WindowsXP or on my Treo 650? If I should format it in WindowsXP, do I format it with FAT or FAT32 file system? Also, I may hold off on updating my ROM for a little bit:

http://shadowmite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1094

This is what I want to do. Dump my ORIGINAL ROM so I have it in case I ever have to restore it. Plus it would be nice to use my original ROM as the base for the custom ROM since it already has the latest patch in it.
  5.    #145  
    Hey all thats pretty interesting. I wonder if it would then be possible to resurrect brick phones through the boot loader?

If it is a card thet has never been in the Treo before you could format it in the Treo. But if it has been in the treo, if it is the card you use, you know you dont need to format it just to do the ROM.
    LauncherApp_enUS.oprc

And removing the:
    LauncherApp_SPCS.cprc

And all is perfect.

Extra information learned along the way was:

You only need to run the ROMUpdater App when reflashing, not the CDMAFirmwareUpdateerApp_device

Also phone info still says 1.12a

Ok, Tem another question. When I turn on and turn off the phone part of my Treo 650, it shows a Sprint splash screen. Is that what these files are that you removed? If so, after removing them, what shows up on the screen when you turn on and turn off the phone part? Thanks again!
  7.    #147  
    How is a launcher overlay related to a splash screen?

I cant test that out since I no longer have a Treo.
    Thanks. Just wondering what/where these LauncherApp_SPCS files are actually at when I'm using my Treo as the only Sprint "overlay" or branding I see is when I turn the phone part on or off (Sprint splash screen shows up).
  9.    #149  
    OIC

Sounds reasonable.
    I guess it may be too late, but do you remember if those files you removed:

LauncherApp_enUS.oprc

And removing the:
    LauncherApp_SPCS.cprc

And all is perfect.
    LauncherApp.bprc -> Built in launcher-BE SURE TO HAVE ANOTHER LAUNCHER INSTALLED
    LauncherApp_enUS.oprc -> Overlay for above
    LauncherApp_SPCS.cprc -> Sprint customizations for above
    LauncherApp_SPCS_enUS.lprc -> Sprint overlay for above

are the Sprint logo / splash screens that show up when you turn on / off the phone part of the Treo 650?
    Last edited by IsLNdbOi; 12/08/2005 at 03:53 AM.
    Ok, so anyone know if the two bolded files above are the Sprint splash screens that show up when you turn on the phone and when you turn off the phone (phone being the cell phone radio)? If they arent' those splash screens, where do they appear in the Treo 650? They are listed as Sprint customizations and overlays for the launcher. Also, has anyone figured out how to completely remove the Welcome app.?
    Global Posts
    297 Global Posts
    Is there a running or Master List of applications which are successfully running in ROM? I believe I saw a link or perhaps a thread but I could not successfully search. Getting my 650 today and I am interested in Java Websphere in particular.
  13.    #153  
    Quote Originally Posted by puyi
    Is there a running or Master List of applications which are successfully running in ROM? I believe I saw a link or perhaps a thread but I could not successfully search. Getting my 650 today and I am interested in Java Websphere in particular.
    There are several threads of programs that users have reported to work but Ive never seen a master list. If you run it on the treo and it shows up in the backup folder then its safe to give it a shot. It wont hurt anything.

On a side note I just read this over at my treo dot net:

Great instructions on possibly recovering from the endless reset loop:

Perform a Warm Reset.
    Find (or create) a blank shortcut space in the Phone App.
    In this space, create a shortcut to the HotSync application.
    Select Done
    Tap on the newly-created HotSync shortcut.
    Open the Menu and select Connection Setup...
    Select New...
    Change the name to whatever you want. It doesn't matter.
    Change Connect to: to PC
    Select OK and then Done
    Return to your PC and delete/move the Backup folder in your PalmOne user profile directory.
    Run the downloaded Treo Updater EXE. Follow the instructions except when it tells you to push your cable/cradle's HotSync button, you should tap the one on the Treo 650 display.
    Follow any instructions presented to you on your PC or Treo screen.
    Your Treo 650 should now be functional again.
    Ok, so anyone know if the two bolded files in post #150 are the Sprint splash screens that show up when you turn on the phone and when you turn off the phone (phone being the cell phone radio)? If they arent' those splash screens, where do they appear in the Treo 650? They are listed as Sprint customizations and overlays for the launcher. Also, has anyone figured out how to completely remove the Welcome app.?
    Hi! Thanx a lot for the explanation, it was really easy to follow. I succeded and managed to create a custom rom from the 1.13 ROW update. So I was able to delete all those Cingular Application that I didn't care of, we don't even have cingular in Italy... Still, in the phone info it says that the software version in 1.22 treo650.apr (yes, I tried something before this, i used an already costumised rom, because nobody told me how to make one )) Do you know if it's ok, or to everything to work fine, do I still have to do something?
    Thanks,
    Roberta
  16.    #156  
    I dont know much about GSM, Cingular or ROW. But I would say no there is nothing more you need to do and there is no way to change what the phone says unless you start with another ace-palmos.zip

Where did you capture the ROM update you used? Did you DL it from PalmOne?

Also we have a good buddy on this site that uses the name whatever7 Im sure its hard to pick as good name here since there are thousands and thousands of names that have been chosen and are unavailable even though no one uses them. If some one came along and choose the name "T.e.m." It would bug me,,,,,, but I'm petty that way
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    Ok, so anyone know if the two bolded files in post #150 are the Sprint splash screens that show up when you turn on the phone and when you turn off the phone (phone being the cell phone radio)? If they arent' those splash screens, where do they appear in the Treo 650? They are listed as Sprint customizations and overlays for the launcher. Also, has anyone figured out how to completely remove the Welcome app.?
    Anyone?
    First, Tem thanks for all your time spent on this thread. Between this one and the instructions in mytreo.net I was able to build and successfully install a new Rom in my Cingular Treo. So, thanks again

There were several differences including such as is only one install file in the new 117 update for the Cingular unit so you have to run through the install till it says to back up, switch out of the install to check where it puts all the install files, which in my case was in the Palm directory in a directory call 650 update, or Treo update or something like that. It didn't put anything in the user directory.

Downloading the java program from Sun's site was not very user friendly, but I got it done although some characters in the name (J2SE instead of JS2E) are transposed in your post. And now it's version 6, plus when in the command prompt the commands are case sensitive which took me a while to figure out.

Plus I put the files in a directory right off the root because when you're running the treo650 tool, if you have a long directory name, it makes it very hard to read the files in the right panel.

Then the file list was different of course, I deleted the language files (except English of course), the getgood stuff (although that wasn't on the list but I didn't think it would hurt and hasn't so far) and the two Cingular specific launcher files but left the other two, and left Versamail because I don't have another mail program even thought I'm mad at versamail because it won't delete messages correctly. I left real player because I don't have another player yet and really left most of the stock apps because I donít know any better since Iím a Treo newbie.

I only ran the rom updater because I already had the firmware update installed.

I haven't put any programs back in yet. I didn't delete much space and really don't know how much I can get away with but I'd like to put Docs to go and Sheet to go in but they are very big.

I also wish there was a more definitive list of what can be pulled out of the rom. There are a lot of files that have no comment on them that I'm sure can be pulled out.

Next I'll start experimenting with sticking files in the rom and pulling out other apps.

I have a directory named Treo in the root that has a directory for the stock rom, the empty rom (the one that I took everything out of) and the 650 tool, etc. That's the one I'll work out of and will start keeping a library of roms I've tried and like.

Iíll just grab the empty rom and start sticking stuff in, or take stuff out until Iím happy. Itís easy to do one you have the palmos pulled out. You can just run the 650 tool, load the rom file youíre interested in changing, change away and reinstall it. But donít forget to empty the custom rom directory and delete the temp directory it makes, that got me in trouble once. Fortunately, I noticed it before it burned me.

Anyway, thanks again and so far so good!!!

Gary

P.S. I forgot to mention that the annoying Xpress mail thing went away as well.
    Last edited by gspears; 12/13/2005 at 03:44 PM.
    TEM,

Thank you for your informative instructions for the "Custom ROM" for the Treo 650. I have been contemplating on making one for my Treo 650 but do not have the courage to do it since I may "fry" my phone (I don't know if I could live without it).

However, I was thinking.....I have a Tungsten C and I like Blazer 4.1 better than the web browser on the Tungsten C (I would like to add a few programs to ROM, change Datebook to Calendar, switch Graffitti 2 to Graffitti, and may do other potential upgrades). I was wondering if it is possible to "extract files" from other ROM updates (like Treo 650, Lifedrive, T5, etc) and transplant them (following your instructions for the Treo 650) in the ROM update for the Tungsten C. Do you think this is possible or am I just dreaming a false dream to "update/upgrade" my Tungsten C (and should, instead, purchase a TX or Lifedrive)?

Thanks

vsluv2golf
  20.    #160  
    gspears thanks, I made the change to the J2SE. I tried my darndest to give a direct link the the sun java program but the sun java site just wouldnt let me. You mentioned case sensitivity,,,,, you didnt mean I needed to change something in the instructons did you?

Yes Im sure there are several apps that can be pulled out. It looks like intrest was lost in updating that list.

Im glad to help
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast