Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
    oK I have some questions before I make my owm custom ROM. My current ROM / firmware that came with my Teo 650 is: Treo650-1.12a-SPNT

There is an update on Palm's site that turns 1.12 (instructions in the very first post in this thread give a download link to just 1.12, no "a" at the end) INTO 1.12a:
    http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...11_sprint.html

The update is simply this file: E911_Firmware_Updater.prc

Can that file be added to my custom ROM so that after I install my custom ROM and go to the phone app. and check the version, it will still show: Treo650-1.12a-SPNT like it does now on my Treo 650?

Also, I have a number of apps. that require JpegLib.prc (ZLauncher among them). Is JpegLib.prc safe to put into ROM and if it is placed into ROM, will the apps. that need it that I install in RAM later, be able to find it and use it?
    Last edited by IsLNdbOi; 11/30/2005 at 05:07 AM.
  2.    #122  
    I have never researched weather or not it is safe to add the E_911 prc to a Custom ROM or not. If it is in you backup folder than yes it is definately, if it is not then it would be safer to just sync it to the handheld after making your ROM. As far as it saying 1.12a in phone info, I dont know. It really wouldnt matter, it would still work all the same.

As far as the jpeg lib for zlauncher, the same applies. If it is a prc in the backup folder then it is OK, and yes the apps that use will it will see it.

If you have any other Qs, ask away, I'm happy to help.
    Also, can you please clarify step 12:

(12) I then deleted the original prc and palm database (pdb) files that were in my ROM folder, (I snapped a picture of the screen and highlighted the files to delete in the attachments below named "delete original files" and "Donot delete zips or new files").

Are we supposed to delete the files showin in BOTH "delete original files" AND "Donot delete zips or new files"? My ROM folder did not have all those files that have "Copy" in the beginning if their names.

E911_Firmware_Updater.prc is not in my backup folder because I did not have to use it since my Treo 650 came preloaded with it. Anyone know for sure if it can be added to a custom ROM?

OR can I just download the ROM from my Treo 650 so that I will have a backup of the original AND just use that to customize? Thanks again.
    Last edited by IsLNdbOi; 11/30/2005 at 01:00 PM.
  4.    #124  
    Well I went ahead and downloaded it and it is not in my backup folder either. Why does it matter. You can just sync it the the phone after the update. It doesnt need to be in ROM. It can be in RAM. It works all the same.

Thanks for telling me about the picture. I went ahead and fixed it.

IsLNdbOi,,,,,, does that mean you are an Island boy?
    My Treo 650 came with that update already installed. I have hard resetted at least a couple of times and have noticed that the update is still there after the hard reset. I just want to have the latest ROM to customize (in this case it would be the one on my Treo 650 since it already has the update in it). Also, I need a copy of my current / factory installed ROM or 1.12 with the update added to it so I can restore my Treo 650 in case I ever have to send it in for repair, return, exchange, etc..
    Last edited by IsLNdbOi; 11/30/2005 at 01:37 PM.
  6.    #126  
    Hmmm,,,, you sure are picky

You should Google custom ROM 1.12a
    Hehe, yeah I just want to have a ROM just like the one that came with my Treo 650 for restore purposes if I ever have to send it in for repair, return, exchange, etc..

Also, again in step 12:

(12) I then deleted the original prc and palm database (pdb) files that were in my ROM folder, (I snapped a picture of the screen and highlighted the files to delete in the attachments below named "delete original files" and "Donot delete zips or new files").

Which one of your pictures show the exact files to delete in step 12?

donot delete zips or new files.jpg
    These are all the files you capture from updater before you drop command prompt.jpg
    card.jpg
    delete original files.jpg

I'm assuming it's the last one, "delete original files.jpg" right? Thanks again!
  8.    #128  
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi

Are we supposed to delete the files showin in BOTH "delete original files" AND "Donot delete zips or new files"? My ROM folder did not have all those files that have "Copy" in the beginning if their names.

You should delete the ones in the jpeg titled Delete original files
  9.    #129  
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    Hehe, yeah I just want to have a ROM just like the one that came with my Treo 650 for restore purposes if I ever have to send it in for repair, return, exchange, etc..

If you didnt mind waiting Im in the process of moving my data from my treo to my PPC and I would be happy to put the prc in ROM to check it out for you when I'm done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tem
    If you didnt mind waiting Im in the process of moving my data from my treo to my PPC and I would be happy to put the prc in ROM to check it out for you when I'm done.
    Sure!

Thanks again!

I plan on removing:

GetBC
    all the HandangoLauncherApp stuff
    all the default connection databases except for the English one

This is all I'm going to add to the ROM:

E911_Firmware_Updater.prc (I'll wait for you on this )
    Graffiti Anywhere
    JpegLib (for ZLauncher and some other apps.)
    ------------

From Shadowmite's pdf of files that are safe to delete, it shows this:

LauncherApp.bprc -> Built in launcher-BE SURE TO HAVE ANOTHER LAUNCHER INSTALLED
    LauncherApp_enUS.oprc -> Overlay for above
    LauncherApp_SPCS.cprc -> Sprint customizations for above
    LauncherApp_SPCS_enUS.lprc -> Sprint overlay for above

If I want to get rid of the Sprint cusomizations, do I just delete the last two (cprc and lprc files) or do I delete the Overlay as well as the last two (cprc and lprc files)? And do I have to replace those files with others or will the launcher then just be the standard, unbranded one?
    Last edited by IsLNdbOi; 11/30/2005 at 01:57 PM.
  11.    #131  
    Many have had trouble when removing the built in launcher.

So your going to leave in the handango launcher spam.
    What's the Handango launcher spam? I am going to remove all the HandangoLauncherApp stuff. Also, I'm not going to remove the launcher, I just want to remove the Sprint stuff from it. So again, from Shadowmite's pdf of files that are safe to delete, it shows this:

LauncherApp.bprc -> Built in launcher-BE SURE TO HAVE ANOTHER LAUNCHER INSTALLED
    LauncherApp_enUS.oprc -> Overlay for above
    LauncherApp_SPCS.cprc -> Sprint customizations for above
    LauncherApp_SPCS_enUS.lprc -> Sprint overlay for above

If I want to get rid of the Sprint cusomizations, do I just delete the last two (cprc and lprc files) or do I delete the Overlay as well as the last two (cprc and lprc files)? And do I have to replace those files with others or will the launcher then just be the standard, unbranded one? OR should I just leave all the launcher stuff alone?
  13.    #133  
    OIC,

I am curious about that myself and wil try that out.
    Cool. Keep us updated then.
  15.    #135  
    Alright first results are back. If you put the 911 prc in rom it will kill your phone because it is an updater, not a regular program prc!

This is why it is extremely important to only put applications in ROM that come from the Back Up folder or the Archive folder!

If any one wants to put an application in ROM that is not in the Back Up or Archive folder, first run the program on the phone and sync it to the desktop so it will be placed in the Back Up or Archive folder!

Then add it to a rom from those folders

Thats what I did. I ran it on the phone first and then looked in the backup folder.

So IsLNdbOi you would use the updater in the steps on my first post to do your custom ROM. Then sync the 911 updater to the phone and open it on the phone, It will be placed in ROM that way and will survive a Hard Rest and also shows 1.12a in phone info.
  16.    #136  
    Results of second step:

Took out:
    LauncherApp_enUS.oprc
    LauncherApp_SPCS.cprc
    LauncherApp_SPCS_enUS.lprc

Launcher could not launch, it said it was missing something

More to come......

You owe me for this
  17.    #137  
    Alright flashed again leaving in the:
    LauncherApp_enUS.oprc

And removing the:
    LauncherApp_SPCS.cprc
    LauncherApp_SPCS_enUS.lprc

And all is perfect.

Extra information learned along the way was:

You only need to run the ROMUpdater App when reflashing, not the CDMAFirmwareUpdateerApp_device

Also phone info still says 1.12a
  18.    #138  
    Alright you owe me big, big for burning up 2 hours and risking my Treo before it goes on Ebay
    Thanks Tem! I gave this thread a 5 star rating.

Since my Treo came with the E911 update installed (1.12a), can I still run the updater on my Treo to get the files out of it? Also, can you please clarify this:

Quote Originally Posted by Tem
    You only need to run the ROMUpdater App when reflashing, not the CDMAFirmwareUpdateerApp_device

So I only have to put ROMUpdater App in the Launcher folder that I make, instead of putting both ROMUpdater App and CDMAFirmwareUpdateerApp_device? Your instructions in the very first post of this thread, don't have any reference to running CDMAFirmwareUpdateerApp_device. You do say though to run ROMUpdater App after the Treo does the checklist. So what's different here?
    Last edited by IsLNdbOi; 11/30/2005 at 09:13 PM.
  20.    #140  
    After you do your custom ROM, meaning after you are finished with step 26, you would DL the 911 updater from P1 and sync it to the phone then tap it on the handheld. It will install itself into ROM making your custom ROM 1.12a

There are instructions in my first post to run the CDMAFirmwareUpdaterApp_device

(21) I then hard reset the Treo and then placed the SD card back in the treo. It went to the card view and I tapped CDMAFirmwareUpdaterApp, it opened and I tapped the big button in the center, update or something to that effect. I took about 5 minutes to run then the treo turned off.
    Yes. I suspected this before I did my first ROM that you need not run the CDMAFirmwareUpdaterApp_Device (if you already have ROM 1.12) when I read a post here:

Vague explanation
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast