Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
  1.    #61  
    Evank it just kills me how people can go out of there way to be jerks when their seated safely on the other side of a keyboard. Your like the little worm who flips people off as their train pulls away.

I gave plenty of warnings that users were to use caution and I was also upfront about my level of experience.

Your post is rude and worthless. If you can find incorrect info in my steps then let's hear it.

All who have followed the info I have given have made perfect ROMs and no one has had a problem.

You are not welcomed here.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Yes, I went "out of my way to be a jerk"...

In your original post, you acknowledge being "a complete unskilled newbie". I applaud you for figuring out this complicated custom ROM task, especially as a newbie. But I'm just being realistic here. Perhaps my post was a tad blunt, but subtlety rarely succeeds in cautioning your fellow newbies about the risks of this huge task. Therefore it was hardly "worthless" -- someone's got to play the role of reality-checker here.

"no one has had a problem" -- have you read this whole thread lately? Sounds to me like lots of people had problems and were left phone-less for days while desperately trying to bring their $500 Treos back to life.

"You are not welcomed here." ... Not worth commenting on.
  3.    #63  
    No you don't need to play the role of reality check. I have a obvious disclaimer at the beginning of the thread, I state I am a newbie, I state I am unskilled in relation to these tasks, I comment during the steps that I had to do a great deal off reading to learn and figure this out, I comment in posts later that I had to read a great deal more and take many attempts to complete a task to help another out. Your rude slams are not a reality check, they are trash talking buy a little person in an attempt to make themselves fell bigger.
    No one was left without their phone or had to bring it back to life you jerk. You are doing your best to make me sound bad so that you may sound right. Cherylb followed a step incorrectly and restored from back up instead of reimaging with the new ROM until they got off work to look at it again, others have stopped to ask questions but no one has been stuck without their phone or needed to bring it back to life. Your stretching of the truth is easily picked apart in text, if this is how you communicate in life its no wonder why you act this way, life must be very frustrating for you because your thinking skills are lacking.
    Go work on yourself so that you may one day have a better outlook and a better attitude.
    Evan,

The ONLY difference between Tem's writeup and probably 60% of ALL the writeups you see on the Internet is that Tem was HONEST about how he figured it out, versus how most people don't know what the heck they are doing at first, but are hiding it so they seem all-knowledgable and powerful.

Heck, most of the articles you read in magazines were written by someone who just learned how to do something prior to firing up Word. Trust me. I know.

Thanks Tem.

-Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
    Move on guys. Custom ROM and Tem's initial disclaimer is indication of risk.

If this exchange escalates further I will close this thread.
  6.    #66  
    I cease, desist and will argue no further. I've said my peice and believe evank has said theres. I respect others opinions and hope others do mine. In the spirit of impersonal debate and with the goal of understanding I appologise to evank for name calling.
    alright, so Tem, any comment on my post #58?
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
  8.    #68  
    I'm sure some one would email you a copy of that ROM if you PMed them.
    I'm getting the impression that I may have to use the method on here to switch to ROW before I can even attempt a custom ROM. Can anyone tell me if this is true or not? Should I be able to build custom Cingular ROMs and get them loaded?
  10.    #70  
    They talk about ROWs in the Treo 650 Firmware and custom ROMs section on MTDN http://mytreo.net/treofaq/TreoFaqHome
    I think im just going to go ROW as there are benefits to this anyway. I'm trying to think of all the Cingular settings that I will need once i flash it to ROW, i have the phone prefs like what number to call for voicemail (no it isnt my own number), and the Network prefs for getting on Cingulars GPRS network. Is there anything else i should note before flashing this thing?
  12.    #72  
    I hope someone else can answer that one for ya because I havent even reached the newbie status relating to GSM phones.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe
    I've finally gotten around to trying to flash my Cingular branded, unlocked, Treo 650. I captured the base Cingular ROM using the instructions at shadowmites, I edited the ROM using the instructions and reference docs here and shadowmites (removed and added files), moved the files to the card in the correct directories, I backed up, hard reset, insert card, tap "FirmwareUpdater". I get a screen displaying the following info:

I hit "Update Now" and i'm asked if I want to update my Treo with new firmware, "OK". It flashes to the Updating Treo screen but imediatly throws up an error dialog stating "Fpl ( 0005)" with an "OK". The "Update: NONE" seems odd to me, have I mucked up the dir structure on the card somehow? I have the PALM folder and the ROM folder set up with the correct files in each. Anyone have any ideas for this one?
    It' s simple. Your ace-palmos.zip is too large. The max. file size I could flash successfully is 6,844 kb only.
    Quote Originally Posted by treoluv
    It' s simple. Your ace-palmos.zip is too large. The max. file size I could flash successfully is 6,844 kb only.
    omfg, its thats all it is ive been doin a lot of work for nothin, thanks!

I'll try editing it down, though right now its only 6,823 kb
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    I'm getting the impression that I may have to use the method on here to switch to ROW before I can even attempt a custom ROM. Can anyone tell me if this is true or not? Should I be able to build custom Cingular ROMs and get them loaded?
    Use the Cingular ROM you don't have to worry about carrier settings, especially for GPRS, MMS, SMS, and web proxy server settings, etc.... as your comment in some recent posts.

ONE advantage of Cingular software is that it let you silent the incoming call ringring tone by pressing the volume rocker buttons ROW doesn't have that function. I repalced CNG with ROW then switch back to CNG because I like this func. Rightnow, my phone is running on 1.15-CNG custom, and "leaked" FW 1.41.

The Voice Mail number doesn't include in the ROM settings, it's simply "read" you SIM card config. and "know" what number to dial your VM number.

About your comment of SIM locked Cingular Treo 650: you couldn't re-lock it evenif you are unlocked by original unlock code from Cingular Customer Service.

For all locked Cingular users: locked phones (at least Cingular's) do not prevent you flash any custom ROM.

BTW, I'm a Cingular user and live very close to you, Falls Church, VA
    Last edited by treoluv; 10/18/2005 at 03:11 PM.
    Ugh, well i dont think ROM size is the issue, i just tried again with a custom ROM thats 6,745 kb and I get the same error. No love for me The error I get is something that people see when they are unlocking their phones, but mine is already unlocked I'm not sure what is going on here.

BTW, I just bought a townhouse closer to Falls Church, but still in Arlington. Currently im sitting in my office in McLean....
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Send me your file. I'm willing to have a look and MAY install it into my T650 (turn it to be an experimental mouse )
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Ugh, well i dont think ROM size is the issue, i just tried again with a custom ROM thats 6,745 kb and I get the same error. No love for me The error I get is something that people see when they are unlocking their phones, but mine is already unlocked I'm not sure what is going on here.
    I couldn't install your file because you didn't include the md5 file. However, I did create another md5 file base on your ace-palmos.zip and I did flash it succesfully to my treo without any problem. So re-check the method you use.

BTW, silver.prc in your ROM doesn't run properly. It cause Treo crash every time I try to launch.
    Quote Originally Posted by treoluv
    I couldn't install your file because you didn't include the md5 file. However, I did create another md5 file base on your ace-palmos.zip and I did flash it succesfully to my treo without any problem. So re-check the method you use.

BTW, silver.prc in your ROM doesn't run properly. It cause Treo crash every time I try to launch.
    Odd, i sent the md5. Thanks for trying, i think that confirms that there is something else wrong. Also thanks for trying Silver Screen. Is your treo unlocked?
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    I have 2, one is unlocked by the original unlock code from Cing, another is still locked. But I don't have any problem when I flash the custom ROM on both.
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast