Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516171819 LastLast
    I tried following the instructions given by the original poster but I'm having problems trying to figure out which file I need to use in place of CDMAFirmwareUpdaterApp_device for my 650 Cingular. I've read through this entire thread but there is not detail on this step.
    I'm stuck at where Steve was before. What's the GSM equivalent to CDMAFirmwareUpdaterApp_device? Anyone? Steve, have you found out? Please....
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    I must be the ultimate dummy.
    I am giving up on ROM making before I wreck sumthing good.
    If anyone feels like helping a charity case here I am
    was trying to do a verizon 1.04 w/ fat32..if i could have done it I would have dumped real and tutorial as well
    Quote Originally Posted by sissa223
    I'm stuck at where Steve was before. What's the GSM equivalent to CDMAFirmwareUpdaterApp_device? Anyone? Steve, have you found out? Please....
    Im still waiting for a answer on that one. I have everything setup on my SD card and I've tried placing the file named 'FirmwareUpdateApp' and running this after a hard reset with no luck.

Anyone?
  4.    #264  
    Quote Originally Posted by pump142
    I must be the ultimate dummy.
    I am giving up on ROM making before I wreck sumthing good.
    If anyone feels like helping a charity case here I am
    was trying to do a verizon 1.04 w/ fat32..if i could have done it I would have dumped real and tutorial as well
    I downloaded that for you and got it all set up. Do you want everything out of it? Languages, Get bc, world clock, handango launcher,,,,,,?
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    Tem you so rock.
    not everything...maybe just real player and quick tour
    maybe add fat32
    I've don it. I used berdinkerdickle's method:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ace-palmos.zip

I needed to create my own ROM because there did not exist a LAP version with what I wanted.
    I wanted Realplayer, Calculator and Tutorials removed. And FAT32 added.
    I removed:

RealPlayer
    RealDRM.prc
    RealLib.prc
    RealMP3Codec.prc
    RealMP3FF.prc
    RealPlay.bprc
    RealPlay_enUS.oprc and other languages
    RealRMCodec.prc
    RealRMFF.prc

Calculator
    ScientificCalc.bprc
    ScientificCalc_enUS.oprc and other languages

Tutorials
    TutorialApp_Device.prc
    TutorialApp_Device_SPCS.cprc
    TutorialApp_Device_SPCS_enUS.lprc
    TutorialRsc_Tips.prc
    TutorialRsc_Tips_SPCS.cprc
    TutorialRsc_Tips_SPCS_enUS.lprc

Flashed my Treo and it's working fine. I owe someone a coffee !!!!!!
    ............. or a beer !!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Roobuls
    I've don it. I used berdinkerdickle's method:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ace-palmos.zip
    ...clip...
    Flashed my Treo and it's working fine. I owe someone a coffee !!!!!!
    I am glad to hear it worked for you.
    I prefer to do it that way,
    It is so Fast and Easy!
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    VZW question, can I add the patched BTManager into the ROM at any point (because there is no BTManager.prc, but there is a BTManagerApp.bprc) or is it better to add it to the RAM after the fact by using Filez?
    Done! Whew! Using instructions from both berdinkerdickle and Tem (thanks guys, you guys are awesome!), I was finally able to flash successfully! Whew~ yet i'm not really that satisfied. I took out realplayer, calculator, get good, tutorials, and language files. In turn, i couldn't put in that much. At first i tried putting in documents to go, slovoed, resco explorer, butler, and mvoice. I checked the size of the newly built rom and it was 7.5 mb which is way under 8.5 mb limit that berdinderdickle and tem advised not to exceed, so i tried to flash with that rom and i got an error message saying something like Partition Full, Error, Partition Does Not Match.
    Well so i started all over again and put in three applications instead of five, with the result of the rom being 7.1 mb. But i still got the same error message.
    Then I started all over again. This time I just put in two applications: butler and resco explorer. And it worked! Well, i am really that I made it work thanks to you guys of course, but i want to put in more than just two applications. Anyone have an idea why i'm getting the error message??
    Also, if anyone who has cingular branded treo and have managed to build a custom rom, can you please tell me what the file names are for Xpress Mail?? I want to get rid of it real bad.
    I have a question about the legality of this process:

A few days ago, I wanted to share my knowledge about custom roms in a french forum. I first asked the moderators if this was possible, but they replied no because it's illegal. I wrote that removing or adding a prc from a zip was not what I would call "reverse engineering", but one of them pointed these words from the 1.20-ENA update license agreement:

Modification, reverse engineering, reverse compiling, or disassembly of the Software is expressly prohibited.
    This clearly means that no change is allowed to what is provided in the package.

So what ? How can you explain that Palm never said anything about this process they are perfectly aware-of ? I know they asked Shadowite to remove the ROMs from his site, but they never asked him to remove the T650 tool or anything related to ROM customisation...

I'm a bit confused, and if you have more information about it, I would be glad to listen to what you have to say.

Thanks in advance,

Stipus
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    I build a new rom using shadowmites romtool and one of the custom roms pointed to on this site. I deleted all languages aside from english and german and put some programs in rom like filez, filepc2pda, splashid and pockettunes (all are on the green list), and all went well aside from pockettunes. (I had deleted those files from my backup-folder that are now stored in rom and restored my ram by hotsyncing.) When tapping on the icon, pockettunes told me something like: "have to reset for beeing able to connect to pc" or so and resetted twice. The next time I enter pockettunes, it tells me, that there was a reset. Trying to register brings a reset. Trying to start the program another reset.
    What went wrong?
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by checkmate
    This stumped me aswell Hicks. The Shadowmite PDF list doesn't mention the language files as they are not in CDMA roms. I wasn't sure whether I could safely delete all language files that don't say "enUS" at the end. I've seen mention of a "carrier version 249" error that happens if you don't have a certain number of language files, which makes me a little nervous. Can't find it in any searches though.....
    Tell me how it goes.
    Well after several failed attempts last night I finally installed a custom ROM

I removed all Realplayer and tutorial files and added in Resco Explorer, Uninstall Manager. FAT32, SMS fix thingy and SnapCalc. All seemed to be working well, but as I had finally perfected the procedure I stupidly thought I could improve on my custom ROM today (and I've wasted about 3 hours!).

I tried to strip all language files out except for the german and english languages (I read somewhere that this helps to keep the Carrier DB at 255) and added in two more additional programmes, namely Resco Locker and BackupMan. This is where it all started to go 'Pete Tong'....

For some reason Resco Explorer wouldn't install, even though it was in my custom ROM, and I lost Blazer! I tried various combinations, playing about with the language files and installing the above extra apps. In the end I had to revert back to the ROM I created last night.

I'm still quite happy with it despite the frustrations and worry! Overall results are:

Seems slightly quicker.
    More RAM available (as moved Uninstall Manager, Resco Explorer, SnapCalc to ROM).
    I think my DB Cache is about the same as before.

I ran VFSMark, using my normal 1GB SD Card and got the following results:

File Create: 158%
    File Delete: 67%
    File Write: 33%
    File Read: 653%
    File Seek: 2360%
    DB Export: 76%
    DB Import: 419%
    Record Access: 882%
    Resource Access: 914%

VFSMark: 618

Pre custom ROM my results were:

File Create: 127%
    File Delete: 62%
    File Write: 33%
    File Read: 672%
    File Seek: 786%
    DB Export: 84%
    DB Import: 403%
    Record Access: 786%
    Resource Access: 724%

VFSMark: 408

Not too sure how to interpret these results, but It looks like an improvement!
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Quote Originally Posted by stheo
    Could someone who has successfully made a custom rom and installed it using the latest Cingular update off Palm's site post a step by step on how they did it. I tried following the instructions given by the original poster but I'm having problems trying to figure out which file I need to use in place of CDMAFirmwareUpdaterApp_device for my 650 Cingular. I've read through this entire thread but there is not detail on this step.

TIA,
    Steve
    Can anyone help me out with this? I have a locked Cingular Treo 650 with 1.17-CNG software. I have setup both the PALM and ROM folder as instructed on my SD card and created my custom rom successfully and placed it in the ROM folder on the card. I have also placed both the FirmwareUpdaterApp and RomUpdaterApp files under the PALM/Launcher folder. I'm having no luck running the firmware app and when I try running the rom updater app it sees that there is a rom in the folder but it doesn't try to load it even after I issue the commands as posted here on the first post. Any help?

TIA,
    Steve
    I tried to strip all language files out except for the german and english languages (I read somewhere that this helps to keep the Carrier DB at 255) and added in two more additional programmes, namely Resco Locker and BackupMan. This is where it all started to go 'Pete Tong'....

For some reason Resco Explorer wouldn't install, even though it was in my custom ROM, and I lost Blazer! I tried various combinations, playing about with the language files and installing the above extra apps. In the end I had to revert back to the ROM I created last night.
    Does this mean your custom ROM still has all the language files? I need to have a play, but it takes ages to double-click all those Italian, Spanish and French files!

How's the 1.20 updater working for you? I kept getting Blazer resets so I reverted to 1.13.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by checkmate
    Does this mean your custom ROM still has all the language files? I need to have a play, but it takes ages to double-click all those Italian, Spanish and French files!

How's the 1.20 updater working for you? I kept getting Blazer resets so I reverted to 1.13.
    It still has all the language files. I've flashed my Treo literally 10 times with my custom ROMS, it was easier to leave them in. It takes about 15 minutes to go through all the files each time! When I did take them out I lost Blazer....

My treo's as stable now as it was with 1.13. I still get the odd reset using backupman, and I still lose my saved preferences db now and then- but it's pretty good overall. A useful function of 1.20 is that you can flush your db cache just by going into Blazer- saves performing a soft reset to start TT Nav 5.
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  17.    #277  
    Quote Originally Posted by conum
    all went well aside from pockettunes.
    What went wrong?
    The last time I looked at the lists at mytreo.net pocket tunes was said to not work in ROM.
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tem
    The last time I looked at the lists at mytreo.net pocket tunes was said to not work in ROM.
    I have looked at shadowmites list where pockettunes is listed to run in ram.
    I deleted pt from my custom rom and installed another one - and it works now.
  19.    #279  
    Quote Originally Posted by stipus
    I have a question about the legality of this process:

A few days ago, I wanted to share my knowledge about custom roms in a french forum. I first asked the moderators if this was possible, but they replied no because it's illegal.

So what ? How can you explain that Palm never said anything about this process they are perfectly aware-of ? I know they asked Shadowite to remove the ROMs from his site, but they never asked him to remove the T650 tool or anything related to ROM customisation.........

Stipus
    Palm didn't ask Shadow to take down the ROMs. A palm employee did. We were guessing it was not a higher up and that he was not formally asked to do so.

Its not illegal to modify your device but it does void your warranty.
  20.    #280  
    Quote Originally Posted by stheo
    Can anyone help me out with this? I have a locked Cingular Treo 650 with 1.17-CNG software. I have setup both the PALM and ROM folder as instructed on my SD card and created my custom rom successfully and placed it in the ROM folder on the card. I have also placed both the FirmwareUpdaterApp and RomUpdaterApp files under the PALM/Launcher folder. I'm having no luck running the firmware app and when I try running the rom updater app it sees that there is a rom in the folder but it doesn't try to load it even after I issue the commands as posted here on the first post. Any help?

TIA,
    Steve
    I think you should delete all related files and programs from the computer and start over. Trying to figure out which file is bad is pert near impossible.