Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Getting sick and tired of blazer.
    It should be called slowzer.
    I had webpro 3.5 proxy patched v3 on treo 600. It was awsome. Faster than xiino. But it doesn't work for treo 650 it says something about memery error and crashes upon exit. I'm using xiino on t650, but stuff is all over the place.
    What is a good browser that's fast.
    Is there a way to make webpro work on treo?

Thanks
    Made this just for fun...I'm Kermit

I think you and I are using the best blazer for the 650 xiino. No, I have yet to find a patched version of webpro 3.5 that works I believe there was a 3.1 version that worked halfway decent but didn't support 5way and crashed on me on exit. I have tried webpro 3.5, xiino, and webviewer on my old t600. I would have to say webpro was the slowest of the three browsers. Webviewer was the the fastest followed by xiino. On the 650 xiino was faster than any of the others I have tried but doesn't render the pages too well. I hope the treo 700p has an upgraded blazer that works half way decent. A solution to using xiino which works pretty well is to enter all urls through skeewzer. https://www.skweezer.net/ It seems to speed up the loading and helps with the page rendering.
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
    Jayzee..thanks for the detailed explanation. I too was having problems with webro but had no idea about using skweezer with xino. It works great and again thanks for the tip.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    yea thanks.
    There was a "illegal" release of of webpro 3.5 it was called: WebPro_v3.5.proxy.v3.patched

It works wonders on the treo 600. the page loading was a snap even on GPRS it took about 10 seconds to load up the yahoo page. I didnt have any problems at all with it. The mini view option was excellent. Normally I would be mad with that option on pocket pc, but on the 650 i couldnt find any problems with it, it was just a gift from heaven.

I hope the preson that made the patch works out one for the treo 650 it would would super.

Here is the original readme from the file.

Code:
    PalmOne WebPro v3.5.proxy.v2.patched
    http://www.palmone.com/us/software/webpro35/

I spent sometime and worked out a little patch for this application. It removes the "you are not authorized to run this application" error message. I've only tested it on my Sprint Treo600 so I can't verify if it works with any other Palm devices. I'm only posting this program because PalmOne does not allow users to purchase it. If they did, then this post would not be here. So thanks go to PalmOne!

This patch release (version 2) enables proxy support for treo600 users of webpro v3.5. Unlike the previous patch that was released, this version allows you to go to the preferences->advanced menu and enable the proxy. The setting you choose will stay in effect until you restart webpro. So, everytime you start webpro, you will have to re-enable the proxy if you wish to use it (recommended). Once enabled, it will stay enabled throughout the current session. 

Let me know if there are any problems with the patch.

Enjoy!
    -Kevin

I took a look at Kevin's work, and changed his proxy patches a tiny bit, and added a few patches he missed. The real work was all done by him, as I wasn't able to figure it out until I looked at what he did. My additional patches allow the proxy settings to be remembered, as well as all the other preferences and display settings, making WebProV work exactly like it's supposed to. I have only tested it on my GSM Treo600. (For what it's worth, I don't find the PalmOne proxy to speed things up much).

Kevin, let me know if you want to know what I added and changed.

Enjoy!
    -Haywood

There's a new Novarra browser called nWeb 4.5 that runs on the Zires, originally written in Java, I think. I have read that it roars on the 600 and 650. But I can't find a version that will run on Treo.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    opera browser seemed like a nice option - very fast. I used it for a few days but ultimately got rid of it because it requires java runtime. I may reinstall soon because I needed the java runtime for kmaps. The cool thing about opera is that when you request a page, it is parsed for mobile viewing on a seperate server before you even download it - which saves a bunch of time.

picsel browser is really cool. Clean, interesting interface. It renders pages as they would appear in any other browser on your computer and gives you a really cool and easy to use zoom function. It seems to have a lot of enhancements for speed and there is also a program called picsel accelerator that enhances it even more.

xiino is okay. It's just so ugly that I can barely stand to use it.

I'm just waiting for a firefox port ...
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor
    There's a new Novarra browser called nWeb 4.5 that runs on the Zires, originally written in Java, I think. I have read that it roars on the 600 and 650. But I can't find a version that will run on Treo.
    yep its the same for webpro it has to be patched

yup it flys well on my t650 now it has proxy on/off mode the 5way nav isn't the best but its still in beta test mode check out novarra.com ask for a test copy plus check post in communications forum .
    Yes, I liked Opera too but 2mb worth of Java crap was too much space for me.
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
    I'm also considering a separate browser because for Blazer always opens the WAP connection even if my Internet GPRS or BT reverse Dun connection are already open when started. The only way I can make it connect to the right connection is to use FileZ to copy the right version of NetworkDB.pdb across to memory....anyway

Was wondering if anyone uses Avantgo to browse - it's been a long time since I had that running on my Palm.?
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sam-i-am
    opera browser seemed like a nice option - very fast. I used it for a few days but ultimately got rid of it because it requires java runtime. I may reinstall soon because I needed the java runtime for kmaps. The cool thing about opera is that when you request a page, it is parsed for mobile viewing on a seperate server before you even download it - which saves a bunch of time.

picsel browser is really cool. Clean, interesting interface. It renders pages as they would appear in any other browser on your computer and gives you a really cool and easy to use zoom function. It seems to have a lot of enhancements for speed and there is also a program called picsel accelerator that enhances it even more.

xiino is okay. It's just so ugly that I can barely stand to use it.

I'm just waiting for a firefox port ...
    isnt picsel browser or picsel viewer i think its called for sony UX series only?

Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spanky32
    yup it flys well on my t650 now it has proxy on/off mode the 5way nav isn't the best but its still in beta test mode check out novarra.com ask for a test copy plus check post in communications forum .
    i dont see the t650 version. i downloaded the one for the zire 71 but cant run it.

Quote Originally Posted by David Sydney
    I'm also considering a separate browser because for Blazer always opens the WAP connection even if my Internet GPRS or BT reverse Dun connection are already open when started.
    WHAT in the heck are you talking about? Blazer uses the default network connection, and if a network connection is active, it uses it. Simple as that.

I use GPRS, used to use CSD sometimes, and have a BlueTooth network set up, and whichever one is active or default is what gets used.

Sounds like your networkdb is hosed or something.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Hey, a few people here mentioned Opera -- I couldn't find a Palm client on their download page -- what's the story!?
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Disregard, I found it ... should have searched before posting, sorry!
    its not listed yet since its still in beta mode but i can tell you it really runs great on the 650 . this is a busines version thing so i dont know if it will be made public but i gues asking for it on there website cant hurt all i can say is i dont use blazer/webpro/xino or the java messy one anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by evank
    Disregard, I found it ... should have searched before posting, sorry!
    Okay, I did a search on the Opera website and nothing comes up for Palm OS to download a browser.

Could someone please supply a link?
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    Okay, I found it at http://mytreo.net/forum/index.php/topic,18865.0.html

Now to play around with it.
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    I'm testing the Opera Mini browser now. Works pretty well. I plan on trying it when my blazer is locking up to see if it is blazer or the connection itself.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Khaytsus, Not so on my phone. Something to do with the carrier profiles. or my particular network carrier - the automatic setup of the Treo when it first pulls in the Network Profiles based on which carrier is listed on your SIM card. I tried to track it down in some of the unsaved/saved preferences to no avail. Obviously this is not a common problem but reference point for may occur sometimes. Palm support can fix it with a few new CarrierProfiles files. But their answer wipes out the WAP connection altogether leaving just GPRS - which I don't want to do because on my plan WAP is free, GPRS is not.

Anyone have any comment on internet surfing with Avant Go - is it reasonable or not?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast