Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
    I'm testing the Opera Mini browser now.
    How'd you get it? Apparently, you have to live in Norway to get it ... if there's another way, please do let me know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buran
    How'd you get it? Apparently, you have to live in Norway to get it ... if there's another way, please do let me know.
    Did you read this thread? Hint...look 3 posts above yours. Incredible.

BTW, a quick search would produce some very useful info...
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    it's good to hear that
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    Speaking of browsers, does the newest update of Opera Mini still require Java? I saw the writeup on it on the main page, and followed the link, only to find that it didn't mention any requirement of Java. Could someone clarify this for me?
    Yes, it still requires Java VM. (A bit careless of Brian to forget to mention it in his review.) Palm no longer distributes it, so you'll have to dig around with Google to find it.
    Powered by Palm since 1996...
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Tungsten T > Trēo 650 > Centro > Prē > Prē F102

...gave up and switched to iPhone4 7/15/10
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    Thanks for clarifying that; I was hoping it might be a "Java-less" version as even thr listing on freewarepalm.com neglected to mention on for system requirements. Thanks again!
    Inspired by the recent review of Opera Mini, I tried it out on my Treo 650. First, I had to spend an hour hunting down the Java VM. Then, after all that, Opera Mini would crash when I asked it to do pretty much anything. Sadly, I've gotta give Opera Mini a Big Thumbs Down, at least on a Treo 650.
    Kenji
    Quote Originally Posted by kenji View Post
    Inspired by the recent review of Opera Mini, I tried it out on my Treo 650. First, I had to spend an hour hunting down the Java VM. Then, after all that, Opera Mini would crash when I asked it to do pretty much anything. Sadly, I've gotta give Opera Mini a Big Thumbs Down, at least on a Treo 650.

The same thing happened to my 755p a couple of weeks ago when I tried installing it. Had to do a hard reset (OMG!) but did get it working when I installed IBM Java VM, immediately after the Verizon software update.

Like you, I would rate it the same...and, for that matter, rate the article that way, too. Showing us pictures from 2 or 3 years ago doesn't do the program any justice. Why don't you show a new shot from the NY Times?

I really thought there was going to be something "new" in that article. What a let down.

EDIT: I did a hard reset, then added the Verizon software update and then installed IBM Java VM. On a "clean" machine it seems to work w/no problems. It just doesn't seem as useful/practical to me. Much quicker w/the bookmarks in Blazer, no nagging "data message" when going online, etc.
    Last edited by fanofdatreo; 03/24/2009 at 04:55 PM.
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    I've tried other versions of Opera on my 700p an had no luck, finding it to lock up the phone frequently, and rarely exiting the app without other problems. It amazes me that people get it to work at all, let alone as nicely as it did for the write up I read. Again, I was really hoping for something different from them.
    It works great on my Centro. Just make sure to get the right version and use the right settings.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    It works great on my Centro. Just make sure to get the right version and use the right settings.
    I second that, VERY rarely crashes on my Centro, it's a pity Palm/IBM/Opera couldn't work out a way to dump blazer and make this work on the Centro out of the box.

I'm using Prefs for IBM Java VM:
    - Mem Max - 1mb
    - Stack size - 32Kb
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    Quote Originally Posted by brum View Post
    I second that, VERY rarely crashes on my Centro, it's a pity Palm/IBM/Opera couldn't work out a way to dump blazer and make this work on the Centro out of the box.

I'm using Prefs for IBM Java VM:
    - Mem Max - 1mb
    - Stack size - 32Kb
    May I ask which version you're using?

Thanks
    4.1.10781 for me, and it makes a HUGE difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    4.1.10781 for me, and it makes a HUGE difference.
    I'm currently using 4.1.11355 on an unlocked GSM centro..tried 4.2 (from mini.opera.com) yesterday but it's crap as it kept on crashing my centro...I am going to try 4.1.10781 today

I think I might have tried 10781 before but I'm not sure- I will report back later.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12