1.    #1  
    Hi all:

I've just got my Prism up and running...now I cannot get my contact info from Outlook Express into the Prism...I am sure that I saw somewhere in the Palm desktop setup that I specified Outlook Express as my email client, but looking at the pocket Mirror FAQ, I see that it does not support Outlook Express.

I know that my excitement has probably clouded my senses...am I to understand that I have to hand-enter all my contact info from Outlook Express to my Prism??

Thanks for helping out a befuddled new user!!

Cheers,
    Chris
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Go it the hotsync icon in your Windows tray (bottom right corner). Right click. Select Custom. Double click on the word Mail. Choose the setup button. You will also have to do something in Outlook express. The setup will explain that.

You can also do this in the Palm desktop program.
    Mike
    Originally posted by cbye
    Hi all:

I've just got my Prism up and running...now I cannot get my contact info from Outlook Express into the Prism...I am sure that I saw somewhere in the Palm desktop setup that I specified Outlook Express as my email client, but looking at the pocket Mirror FAQ, I see that it does not support Outlook Express.

I know that my excitement has probably clouded my senses...am I to understand that I have to hand-enter all my contact info from Outlook Express to my Prism??

Thanks for helping out a befuddled new user!!

Cheers,
    Chris

actually what i think you were asking was 'how do i get my contact info onto the prism?' not 'how do i get my mail onto the prism?' correct?

if so, what are you using for your calendar, todo and memo? if you're using palm desktop, then go into outlook express and under the 'File' menu, select 'Export' and then 'Address Book'. Select 'comma delimited values' and export your contact info to a file in folder where you can find it.

then go into palm desktop and under the file menu select 'import' then find the file (make sure you change file type from .aba to .csv)and import the contact file you exported in outlook express. it should guide you the rest of the way!

if you're using outlook for your calendar/todo/memo, there is a function in outlook express address book. open the address book and under the tools menu, select options. there will be two choices...select the one that 'shares your address book with outlook'

hope this helps.
    wow, it's been awhile.....things have REALLY changed...why is my Visor Edge still in my hand? Will a Treo fit better?
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the input folks. Basically, I think you've answered my poorly phrased question - what I want to do is to get Outlook Express info (i.e. emails and contact info) into the visor. So I think that by combining your responses, I can get it sorted out.

At the most basic level - should I uninstall Pocket Mirror if I am using Outlook Express??

Thanks again.

Cheers,
    Chris
    I don't use OE but if I recall correctly, you can not sync contact info to it on the PC (I think you can on the Mac).
    I think that's because Outlook Express doesn't really have its own address book, it uses the Windows Address Book.
    You are limited to exporting from OE and importing to the Palm Desktop.

I'm not sure why nobody has a WAB-->Palm sync tool; I think I'd use it if it existed.

And correct, you do not need Pocket Mirror installed.

Thanks for the input folks. Basically, I think you've answered my poorly phrased question - what I want to do is to get Outlook Express info (i.e. emails and contact info) into the visor. So I think that by combining your responses, I can get it sorted out.

At the most basic level - should I uninstall Pocket Mirror if I am using Outlook Express??

Thanks again.

Cheers,
    Chris
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the help...I've got all my contacts from OE into the Visor...still struggling a bit with the mail, as I can't seem to find the "Make OE the default MAPI client" setting - the HotSynch setup makes it sound like it's a failry obvious setting, although I'm sure that if I dig a bit deeper, I'll find it.

Thanks for helping me out!

Cheers,
    Chris
    Thanks for the help...I've got all my contacts from OE into the Visor...still struggling a bit with the mail, as I can't seem to find the "Make OE the default MAPI client" setting - the HotSynch setup makes it sound like it's a failry obvious setting, although I'm sure that if I dig a bit deeper, I'll find it.

Thanks for helping me out!

Cheers,
    Chris
    The older OE had that setting, the newer version does not. You can now set it from Control Panel|Internet Options|Programs.
    It's also accessable from Internet Explorer's Tools|Internet Options|Programs.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for the tip - I took a look on my work machine today, and was unable to find the setting!!

I'll try your suggestion tonight on my home PC.

p.s. I realize that perhaps I should have started this thread up in the "How To" section...jumped onto the board, saw "Software", thought "Hot Synch = software", and had at it...my apologies to the moderators!!

Cheers,
    Chris