1.    #1  
    This person says he can surf in color while talking to his mom in Florida? I don't think I can use the browser during a call. I'm with Sprint. Can others do this? http://www.forbes.com/technology/per..._1006treo.html
    nope - I can open a blazer session, but it won't send data while on a gsm call.
    Factory unlocked/unbranded GSM 650 - Tmobile; FW: 1.71; SW: 1.20-ENA; Carrier DB: 255; HW: A

If I'm repeating what someone has already said look at how long the thread is and ask yourself if you really expect me to read the whole thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by scsanden
    This person says he can surf in color while talking to his mom in Florida? I don't think I can use the browser during a call. I'm with Sprint. Can others do this? http://www.forbes.com/technology/per..._1006treo.html

I think the writer you're referring to was trying to be a little creative in their writing. I wouldn't worry about it.
    I can browse and talk. Cingular GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by sam-i-am
    Really? I've never tried it...hmm...I just tried it and my browser doesn't actually load any content. It stays stuck in "Sending..." and then gives an error
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    Double check that
    Sure you can, I can too on my CDMA phone. I can browse the web and talk, I can chew gum and walk too, I have been able to do for over 30 years now. What I cannot do is surf the web or have an active data connection and make a call using my Treo 650. That I have to learn i guess
    Treoing & Loving it
    Quote Originally Posted by gt5l
    Sure you can, I can too on my CDMA phone. I can browse the web and talk, I can chew gum and walk too, I have been able to do for over 30 years now. What I cannot do is surf the web or have an active data connection and make a call using my Treo 650. That I have to learn i guess
    Ha! Very well said. I cant be on an active call and then start a web session. What I can do is receive a phone call when I am viewing a web page. If it is sending or receiving the call will go to VM, but otherwise the phone will ring and I can answer. I haven't tried to use email, but I expect it would act the same way. Can't send or receive data while on a GSM call.

I think Sprint PCS and Verizon are more restrictive. They will always send the call to VM if blazer or versamail are open. Correct?
    Factory unlocked/unbranded GSM 650 - Tmobile; FW: 1.71; SW: 1.20-ENA; Carrier DB: 255; HW: A

If I'm repeating what someone has already said look at how long the thread is and ask yourself if you really expect me to read the whole thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by rbenjami
    I think Sprint PCS and Verizon are more restrictive. They will always send the call to VM if blazer or versamail are open. Correct?
    I am not sure about always, but during active data connections (green arrows) all calls are sent to VM.
    Treoing & Loving it
    I am not sure about always, but during active data connections (green arrows) all calls are sent to VM.
    I'm going to test that when I get off the can.
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Retired Treo 650
    My arrows are always green, even while on a call. I do know that calls go to VM while I'm actively sending/receiving data, but calls come through as soon as data stops - even if the browser is still open. The green arrows only tell me that I am signed in to my T-Mobile account, not necessarily sending data. I think it's a GSM thing.
    Last edited by gregb882; 10/07/2005 at 07:25 PM.
    Unlocked/Unbranded GSM Treo 650
    1.71/1.30 ENA, HW A
    T-Mobile Total Internet
    Quote Originally Posted by gregb882
    The green arrows only tell me that I am signed in to my T-Mobile account, not necessarily sending data.
    The green arrows indicate data actively being sent or received. Gray arrows indicate a data connection that's idle.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    The green arrows indicate data actively being sent or received. Gray arrows indicate a data connection that's idle.
    Sorry, but no. I just double checked. My arrows are always green, even when data is being sent/received. (I even put on a good pair of cheaters to make sure I could see the difference between colors. ) Like I said, maybe it's a GSM thing.
    Last edited by gregb882; 10/07/2005 at 08:39 PM.
    Unlocked/Unbranded GSM Treo 650
    1.71/1.30 ENA, HW A
    T-Mobile Total Internet
    It is. GSM arrows are always green
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    I can confirm that on Sprint, a phone call does interrupt an idle data connection. I've had it happen more times that I'd like.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    There has always been a lot of info on this in the Chatter forum (for obvious reasons, since Chatter is always online). There's some good info here:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ighlight=voice
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ighlight=voice
    http://www.chatteremail.com/index.ph...d=44&Itemid=57

The issue of data useage/blocked incoming calls (as well as of battery drain) is addressed in the links above.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by scsanden
    I love the picture of the 600, but it says it's a 650 right next to it
    Okay, if you're actually "Sending" or "Receiving" data, then it goes to Voicemail. If the page has already loaded and you're in your browser, the call comes through, even with green arrows on.
    Also, I either have green arrows, a black triangle or nothing. I haven't noticed gray arrows.
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Retired Treo 650
    I can't speak for CDMA phones, but GSM Treos either show the black triangle (GPRS is available) or the green arrows (GPRS in use). Just because GPRS is in use does not mean your Treo's transmitting or receiving a packet of data. There's a lot of idle time due to latency, waiting for acknowlegements, etc. During those momentary "lulls" a GSM phone will not direct an incoming voice call to VM whereas my understanding is that a CDMA phone will (unless it's using EVDO, but that's a different thread ). CDMA will "hold" that data connection for up to 10 seconds after the last packet of data is transferred.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...