1.    #1  
    Been having an odd problem lately. First off, let me say that I baby my 650. Its never been dropped, jarred, or had anything spilled on it (became uber-anal about it when I learned Cingular wouldn't let me insure it).

Anyway, over the past two weeks whenever I receive or make a call, my end of the conversation drops out and the person I am talking to can no longer hear me. I can still hear them without any issue.

I ran it by the folks at Cingular and they said it must be a device issue and that I should call warrenty exchange. Just wanted to get everyone's input as to whether they thought it was a service or device issue. Anyone else have this problem?
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    does it only happen when you are using a wired headset? when i use my wired headset, people that i am talking hear what sounds like me hanging up on them (i guess like a click and then silence. however, i can still hear them. i have to unplug the headset and plug it back in to fix the problem.

my phone is on the sprint network, so i think it is a device issue. i had taken the phone in two times before, only to have them tell me that the tech couldnt reproduce it. what i ended up doing was using one of their demo phones in the store to call myself, and then just waiting for it to happen.

sprint is replacing my phone on friday. its going to be a refurb, but thats better than having people think that you hung up on them.

t
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by t00mies
    does it only happen when you are using a wired headset? when i use my wired headset, people that i am talking hear what sounds like me hanging up on them (i guess like a click and then silence. however, i can still hear them. i have to unplug the headset and plug it back in to fix the problem.

my phone is on the sprint network, so i think it is a device issue. i had taken the phone in two times before, only to have them tell me that the tech couldnt reproduce it. what i ended up doing was using one of their demo phones in the store to call myself, and then just waiting for it to happen.

sprint is replacing my phone on friday. its going to be a refurb, but thats better than having people think that you hung up on them.

t
    Actually, it doesn't happen at all with my Bluetooth headset. Only seems to happen when I am dolding the device to my ear (and no, I didn't hit "mute" by accident). I may just suck it up and do the warrenty exchange. Not happy about it but it might be the only fix.
    My wife and I have 650's that are used in our home offices most of the time. We were having the same issues as you intermittenly. I was also losing access to the GPRS network. Since I use Chatter for push mail, the data network loss was very noticable and very annoying. Called Cingular and they said it was the phones.

We went to Italy for a couple of weeks and used our Wind SIMs. Not a single problem, no dropped calls, no dropped sound, no resets, no loss of GPRS service. The phone worked as it should for the entire time. We came home, put in the Cingual SIMs and the problems are back.

I called Cingular to complain again and told them about the phones worked well on a network that works well. They then told me they have been experiencing "network issues" and their is no projected resolution date.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jcatan
    My wife and I have 650's that are used in our home offices most of the time. We were having the same issues as you intermittenly. I was also losing access to the GPRS network. Since I use Chatter for push mail, the data network loss was very noticable and very annoying. Called Cingular and they said it was the phones.

We went to Italy for a couple of weeks and used our Wind SIMs. Not a single problem, no dropped calls, no dropped sound, no resets, no loss of GPRS service. The phone worked as it should for the entire time. We came home, put in the Cingual SIMs and the problems are back.

I called Cingular to complain again and told them about the phones worked well on a network that works well. They then told me they have been experiencing "network issues" and their is no projected resolution date.
    I had a feeling it was more network related than device related. I went to the Cingular store to have them check out my SIM to make sure it had all its updates and the... err... "customer service representative"... well... I won't get into it. Needless to say, she was not very.... er... helpful.
    I'm on Cingular and have experienced this issue as well from time to time. Usually a soft reset will fix the problem if you're running the newer firmware, not that this is any real help in the middle of a call... More than likely it is a software based bug, I haven't really noticed this happening since switching from Cingular to ROW...
    I have had many users report this problem. Every time it has turned out to be a bad MIC in the Treo or a bad headset jack. To confirm this, I would recommend loading VolumeCare and crank up the MIC volume. If you suddenly hear a difference, then you are good to go. If not then you probably need a replacement phone.

Another comment. I mentioned the headset jack above. The headset jack in the Treo 650 fails quite regularly. When it fails it does some or all of the following:

1) Handset speaker in the Treo will pop, crackle and even stop all together.
    2) Speakerphone speaker in the Treo will pop, crackle and even stop all together.
    3) The MIC stops working

Hope this helps.....

Jeff