1.    #1  
    My Treo 600 has recently developed a problem with the keyboard; some columns of keys, especially at the left of the keyboard, don't work. The problem was intermittent at first, but now appears to be permanent.

I've talked to my carrier (Cingular) about upgrading to a Treo 650, but their upgrade price is way too high to make it worthwhile (~$450). I've talked to Palm about repairing it, but they have a one price repair policy of $179 for ANY repair, regardless of how complex or simple the problem is. I'm not happy spending that without knowing if it's just dirty connectors, or something more fundamental. I'm also not happy about having to spend a large fraction of the price of the new device on mending defective hardware that's only 18 months old. (Since it is 18 months old, it's out of warranty.)

I'm pretty sure the problem is something like dirty contacts, or a simple mechanical problem. Squeezing the unit sometimes causes the keys to work again.

So, I'm looking for information on how to open the Treo 600 up to examine it. I've read the horror story thread about breaking display connectors (and it didn't put me off trying). Any instructions or advice?
    Go to performancepda.com and find their instructions for opening the treo which includes pictures. Watch out for the 4 tabs that hold the case together. The two upper ones were easy to dislodge on my phone but the lower ones were difficult. I had to use a small flat screwdriver to pry the tab from the back case. The lower tabs are approx. inline with the nav key.

You can buy a new keyboard or other parts at the same site. Their replacement speaker solved my "disapointment".
    ajcduggan...I'm curious why you would purchase a phone that costs as much as a Treo and not get insurance? I never considered it on a par with throw-away flip phones
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    ajcduggan...I'm curious why you would purchase a phone that costs as much as a Treo and not get insurance? I never considered it on a par with throw-away flip phones
    I never buy insurance for any device I can afford to replace or get along without. Insurance through another company is always higher than just risking it yourself.

Since I can afford to replace my Treo if it were to break or go bad, I don't buy insurance for it. Over my life, this will end up saving me lots of money...

-Sim

NoisyGecko
    ajcduggan,

what I did was find someone, on craigslist it turned out, that was selling their T600 (that's what I have) because they dropped it and had broken the screen. I bought it for $20 for parts.

I had some keybard problems after that, similar to yours, and it turned out that the visible keys, which are all one piece of plastic with a little "pointer" on the back side of each individual key, which then in turn presses into a membrane switch on the face of the actual keyboard, had warped such that the little pointer on a couple of the keys weren't properly aligning with the membrane-switch-array keyboard that is "behind/underneath" the visible key array. So I just swapped the plastic visible key pad unit out of my "parts phone" into the phone I actually use, and it was fine.

HTH,
    mobileuser
    [PalmCentro-Sprint / (K)Ubuntu GNU/Linux]