1.    #1  
    My Treo 650 saved the day, just wanted to share it
    http://www.gadgetsonthego.net/2005/1...saves-day.html
    Jimmie Geddes
    Outstanding!!!

Now I can go back to being bored while on my mini vacation.....

Chuck
    No offense, but you are not supposed use your Sprint internet with BT dial-up unless you have something more than Vision.
  4.    #4  
    I have pcs vision, 15 bucks a month unlimited data. I think I am allowed to do this, if not, I still will My Treo 650 saved the day!
    Jimmie Geddes
  5. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    I think people who use their phones for DUN for excessive amounts of MB have gotten some kind of warning letter about how they're not supposed to be using DUN. I remember somebody who was using lots of MB on their Treo for streaming music got a letter like that. They weren't actually using DUN, they just got the letter because Sprint(? or was it Verizon?) assumed that large amounts of data must have been a result of DUN. The bottom line is, they apparently can't tell when you're using DUN, so I guess it's hard for them to enforce the rule.

It's one of the more ridiculous restrictions that carriers have, I think. Especially for Verizon, where I'm paying $40 for "unlimited" internet. I pay about $40 for freaking broadband from my cable provider, I better be able to check my e-mail and browse the web a little from my phone. But DUN is a bit of a pain on the Treo, so I only use it when I absolutely have to, and I'm sure I'd never use enough MB to raise any flags.
  6.    #6  
    I pay $15 a month and use it a lot, I use mySprint Treo 650 with my powerbook while away for the weekendd. I have neve gotten a letter from sprint on this. I use it for hours, sprnt's network is actually pretty good and fast. But I do wsnt my verizon DSL back,
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I two have a powerbook and a sprint 650, but I only use DUN when i'm off campus. My only issue with DUN is it cuts off at random.
    Treo 650 (Sprint)
  8.    #8  
    I've been using DUN going on my 2nd day now. I write for Palm Addict, and my own blog. I've been able to write for both, im, email, surf without getting cutoff, thank God. I am getting aroun 120kbps as opposed to 1.5mbps with Verizon dsl, but it's actually not as bad as the numbers look. I wrote an article about my 2nd day w/out dsl:
    http://www.gadgetsonthego.net/2005/1...t-to-show.html
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Palm should include stories like yours on their web site as testimonials.
    My 650 let me upload (crappy) Treo camera shots of my new baby from the hospital last week, plus keep up with email and ssh into my servers to keep an eye on things.

Good stuff.
  11.    #11  
    Great stuff! I'll let you guys know if I get any letters, or notice from Sprint. I have been using "their" network using BT DUN that "they" enabled on "their" Treo 650 that I bought from "them", and pay them monthly bills I've been using my Treo 650 a few hours at a time, and never got dropped from their network. I am quite surprised how well this is working out, that I don't know if I will go back to DSL. Only kidding! It's great for a jam like this, it's reliable, gives me a constant connection. I don't think they have a problem with it, but if they do I'll let treocentral know. What a great smart phone we've got!!!
    Jimmie Geddes
    Is it really that fast that you don't get annoyed?! How long does the typical page with a couple of images take to load?
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
  13.    #13  
    Trust me, I am not a patient person,lol. I wouldn't be bragging about this, and writing so much if it took long. This page took about 7 seconds to load, Engadget takes about 10, my blog about 5, palmaddict 5. It is so much better than I though it was going to be. I figured I'll use it to just check my email, some sites. I've had an undropped connection looking up at my time from the internet connect in the top menu of my powerbook, it's 3:43:22. I've been able to use aol, leave it on. I am very surprised at how great it works, and fast. DSL is instantaneous, this is like dial up on speed.
    Jimmie Geddes