Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    *Note - This application is currently in beta testing. Version 1.0 will likely be made available within 1-2 weeks.

WAGWARE Systems, Inc. and GX-5 have partnered to develop a new application called LibertyControl. LibertyControl is a BlueTooth application for the PalmOS which allows you to wirelessly control your laptop (or Desktop) PowerPoint Presentation, Internet Explorer, 'My Playlists' in Windows Media Player, mouse, keyboard and more.

LibertyControl allows you to use your Treo 650 to control the following wirelessly on your PC (using BlueTooth):

• PowerPoint Presentations - The focus for LibertyControl was to allow anyone to remotely control a PowerPoint (Or Macromedia Flash) presentation using their Treo 650. You can make available a list of presentations that can be started from the PDA, load a specific presentation, start/stop/forward/back, +More! One really useful feature is that there is a companion application which allows you to import your PowerPoint Slide notes, update them, set timer warnings for each slide (to alert you if you are spending too much time on it). Once the notes have been defined, the Treo can now display the slide notes right on the device! We are not aware of any stand-alone PowerPoint hardware devices that deliver this type of functionality at ANY price point.

• Internet Explorer - Another nice feature of LibertyControl is that it allows you to control IE right from the Treo 650. You can easily launch IE, enter a URL, click links (using the 5-way Nav. as a mouse) or use most of the common browsing functions such as: Forward, Backward, Home, Stop, etc. This application also includes a built-in history of your most entered links, QuickText (to quickly enter common .com, http://, etc.)

• Desktop Control - the Desktop control allows you to use your thumb to move the mouse cursor on the Desktop, hardware buttons allow you to click mouse buttons (left, right and left+hold) or use the on-screen Virtual Keyboard.

• Windows Media Controller - The Windows Media Control integrates to WMP 7-10 and allows you to load playlists that you have defined in the 'MyPlaylist' section of WMP. From there, you can control the sound tracks by selecting Forward, Back, Play/Pause, Mute, Stop, Vol +/-, Shuffle, Repeat or Refresh the WMP Play lists all from the Treo 650!

Before installing the demo, please make sure the following prerequisites have been met:
    • You have BlueTooth on your laptop (or Desktop) computer. If it's not built-in, you can use a USB BlueTooth adapter.

• You have assigned a BlueTooth COM port and paried your Treo 650 to your laptop.

• You have a Treo 650 or other BlueTooth-enabled PalmOS 5.x device with a 320x320 resolution display.

Please send feedback to support@wagware.com. You may download or purchase the current beta from http://www.libertycontrol.com.
    Palm and PocketPC Development with CASL (make your own Treo apps, easily)
    CASL is here
    LibertyControl is here
    or visit WAGWARE Systems, Inc. here
    software forum? Looks cool anyway. Will it work to control winamp? Can you control a powerpoint via tcp/ip? I dont know why you would want to ... jusr asking.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by sam-i-am
    software forum? Looks cool anyway. Will it work to control winamp? Can you control a powerpoint via tcp/ip? I dont know why you would want to ... jusr asking.
    BlueTooth is what is supported since it makes the most sense for this type of application (short-range radio, lower power consumption, easier connection, no need to worry with IP addresses/hostnames, etc.). Have we considered Wi-Fi, sure. We may even add it at somepoint. WinAmp isn't currently supported but custom Playlists in Windoes Media Player is. PowerPoint was the #1 priority for v1.0. We are considering integration to other key applications for future versions and welcome your feedback.
    CASL is here
    LibertyControl is here
    Interesting... sounds like a PC version of Sailing Clicker!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    sweet program. I want to vote for support for either winamp or itunes. I think it would be so cool to have guests that come over to create their own playlists and stuff. I guess it could be very similar to salling clicker for the Mac (http://www.salling.com/Clicker/)....Thanks, James
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmydu3
    sweet program. I want to vote for support for either winamp or itunes. I think it would be so cool to have guests that come over to create their own playlists and stuff. I guess it could be very similar to salling clicker for the Mac (http://www.salling.com/Clicker/)....Thanks, James
    Thanks James, I'm glad you like it! Not sure about Salling, I don't have a Mac... About 6 months of development went into this application. As mentioned previously, the main feature we wanted to develop was the PowerPoint presentation capability (and allow viewing notes on the PDA). The idea for LibertyControl all came from a visit to CompUSA the cost of a simple hardware device for controlling PowerPoint costs (with about 4 buttons) was anywhere from $50-$89. That is when the thought of using a Treo 650 over BlueTooth with added functionality (including adding a presentation timer, slide notes, etc.) could add more value to individuals that need a PowerPoint control app.

After developing the prototype to support the above, we also looked at other ways that most users might want to use LibertyControl. That is when we enhanced support to include direct support for Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player, mouse control, Keyboard, etc.

With the current version, you can control anything on the Desktop. I do appreciate your recommendations for WinAmp/ITunes and will take that into consideration for future versions.

Thanks to those who are trying out the current beta and providing feedback!
    CASL is here
    LibertyControl is here
    After trying it out last night, I can tell a ton of time went into this app. It really is the cleanest, most professional Palm app I think I've seen. The mouse control is fast and using the treo's keyboard and directional pad, it takes the place of a bluetooth mouse and keyboard! I think think this could be huge with people using home theatre pc's...you never have to look for the remote.
    The powerpoint feature is really well developed. I do give a number of multimedia presentations and there is one think I really need added. It is system volume control from the hardware buttons. Often the audio on the presentation changes for different rooms, so I need a quick way to change the volume. I was thinking ability to set the hardware buttons like this:
    button 1: volume up
    button 2: volume down
    center d-pad: left mouse click
    button 3: right button click
    (I really don't need the "hold left button" but since the menu button isn't used, could that be mapped?)

OR: everything could be kept the same if volume control could be mapped to the side scroll buttons.

Thanks again, and one other thing. I can't get the Windows Media Player control working. I've got playlists in "My Playlists" on WMP 10 but the program refreshes and says Update Comlete with no playlists shown. I've got all the other aspects of the program working, except WMP. Thanks again, James
    OH MY! This is what I have been looking for the LONGEST time! I bought Slide Show Commander bec they were "supposed" to develop a BT solution, but it never happened. I have drooled over Salling for the Mac, but can't switch to that OS because of business issues. This works great! A few things...

(1) is there a way to view the image of the slide on the Treo screen?
    (2) how long will the battery last using this program via BT?
    (3) is there a way to "write" on the slide and have it show up on the screen? SSC did this, which was a nice feature.
    (4) is there a way to get the slide show notes on the PP program into the Treo?
    (5) is there a manual so I don't have to ask all these stupid questions?

I'll be buying soon! Thanks.
    Dana A. Max, Psy.D.
    Licensed Psychologist
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, Palm m515, Treo 650, Centro
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmydu3
    After trying it out last night, I can tell a ton of time went into this app. It really is the cleanest, most professional Palm app I think I've seen. The mouse control is fast and using the treo's keyboard and directional pad, it takes the place of a bluetooth mouse and keyboard! I think think this could be huge with people using home theatre pc's...you never have to look for the remote.
    The powerpoint feature is really well developed. I do give a number of multimedia presentations and there is one think I really need added. It is system volume control from the hardware buttons. Often the audio on the presentation changes for different rooms, so I need a quick way to change the volume. I was thinking ability to set the hardware buttons like this:
    button 1: volume up
    button 2: volume down
    center d-pad: left mouse click
    button 3: right button click
    (I really don't need the "hold left button" but since the menu button isn't used, could that be mapped?)

OR: everything could be kept the same if volume control could be mapped to the side scroll buttons.

Thanks again, and one other thing. I can't get the Windows Media Player control working. I've got playlists in "My Playlists" on WMP 10 but the program refreshes and says Update Comlete with no playlists shown. I've got all the other aspects of the program working, except WMP. Thanks again, James
    Hi James,

Thank you for your kind comments. WAGWARE is proud to have been able to team up with GX-5 to deliver LibertyControl. Both companies share the same vision of what we wanted to accomplish. The goal was to focus on functionality that increases a users productivity and I think we've delivered on that initial vision. It can only get better from here.

That said, your request for volume control is a valid one. I've discussed this feature request with GX-5 and we will work on delivering this capability in version 1.0. If it slips, I'll let you know but I think it can be done. This will likely become a setting within the 'Settings' selection as it effects all functionality of the app.

Regarding the playlists not showing, in WMP 10 there is a tab for "Library" and to the left there is a "My Playlists" category. Under that category do you see any playlists listed? When LC starts up it checks for any WMP Playlists under this category and makes them available on the Treo. Although, you may have to press the 'Refresh' button on the Media Control screen to refresh the list. Try exiting LC and restarting it but it should pick it up right away. I've tested this personally under WMP 9&10 and it worked the same on both versions. Technically, it should work as far back as WMP 7. I hope this helps, feel free to e-mail me directly at 'support at wagware dot com' if you need further assistance.
    CASL is here
    LibertyControl is here
    OK, I just bought it to get rid of that pesky 60 transaction screen so I could try it uninterupted. I was disheartened after I bought the program that it said my registration number would be sent in "1 - 2 days" (I wanted it now...of course). Then pop, my email arrived with the registration code in like 2 minutes from purchase! YEAH!!! Thanks. I really like this program. It works extremely well. On the PowerPoint, is there a way to navigate to slides directly (say I'm on slide 3, and someone in my audience asks a question that I get to on slide 6, is there a way to just jump there from the Treo?). That would be a HUGE plus! Also, do I get a free upgrade? Thanks.

Dana
    Dana A. Max, Psy.D.
    Licensed Psychologist
    OK...answered my own question by playing around with the program...hit the virtual keyboard, type in the number of the slide you want, hit enter, there you are. Now if I just had a list of the titles of each slide, because I'll never remember which slide is which on my own, but this works in a pinch. Loving it more I play with it.
    Dana A. Max, Psy.D.
    Licensed Psychologist
    Like James, I cannot get WMP to work either with the controls or get my playlists to show.
    Dana A. Max, Psy.D.
    Licensed Psychologist
    Hi there. To help us poinpoint the problem, can you confirm that in Windows Media Player you have a list of playlists under "My Playlists" as shown in this pic. Thanks
    http://www.gx-5.com/misc/wmpPlaylist.jpg
  14. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Alright! I have been crying for a prog like this for many months now. I really like the prog but here are some suggestions, they are just that suggestions. For WMP I would like the ability to navigate the "My Music" folder instead of just playlists. WMP again I would like the option to have all my songs listed on the device/palm so I could pick from a list instead of flipping through each one by one. WMP again I would like time to be displayed on the device/palm as well. I guess you can see what my main use would be. I would also suggest you goto www.meedio.com to see if you can get some people there to give you some thoughts on this prog. Those poor people have been locked into PPC apps forever. By the Way very nice prog and I eagerly look forward to it's further development.
    Thanks for the input and suggestions. We will be looking more into this. Can you tell us more on how would you like or plan to use wmp with libertycontrol. Thanks
  16. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tj8212
    Thanks for the input and suggestions. We will be looking more into this. Can you tell us more on how would you like or plan to use wmp with libertycontrol. Thanks
    Sure. It seems you are using the part of WMP that allows it play in the background or slave to your own prog, I am not sure how this works. I think Meedio uses this function as well. I would be using it in conjuction with my HTPC(Home Theater PC) to play music through my home audio system. I will also use it on my boat where my laptop function the same as the home HTPC. I think If you look around the website I linked earlier you will get the jist of how we would use LC with WMP and other progs as well if we could. I think the ultimate for it for me would be a full functioning two-way remote, rather similar NetRemote, but for Palm. That setup I think would be a big seller among these crowds, HTPCNews, AVSForum, Meedio, and MP3Car to name a few.I would love to help you folks out as much as I can, just let my know how I can serve you folks.
    Quote Originally Posted by tj8212
    Hi there. To help us poinpoint the problem, can you confirm that in Windows Media Player you have a list of playlists under "My Playlists" as shown in this pic. Thanks
    http://www.gx-5.com/misc/wmpPlaylist.jpg
    Yup, that's exactly how my playlists look. I've tried refreshing both on WMP and LibertyControl.

Also, about Meedio, Media Portal, GB-PVR, and other PVR apps, it's already functioning somewhat. By using the virtual keyboard I can change channels, add songs to playlists, navigation (by keyboard mapping functions to the the virtual keyboard buttons) ....the great thing about many PVR programs is that keyboard keys can be mapped in many functions, so if LibertyControl would ever add a stock PVR page, I'm sure many PVR functions would be able to work however y'all set it up.
    Thanks for letting us know how your wmp is set up.
    Can you let us know the version number of wmp you are running, you can access the dialog from the Help->About Windows Media Player
    http://www.gx-5.com/misc/wmpVersion.jpg

We will be working on this. We will also look into the pvr solution
    Last edited by tj8212; 10/07/2005 at 12:24 AM.
    this app is the perfect companion for my ati multimedia remote. I can control my pc with the remote, but there is no way for me to enter text with the remote
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by R1_Rydah
    this app is the perfect companion for my ati multimedia remote. I can control my pc with the remote, but there is no way for me to enter text with the remote
    There is a virtual keyboard, just click the upper-right keyboard looking icon. Then, in the text window at the top, just type using your Treo keyboard
    CASL is here
    LibertyControl is here
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast