Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Hi, I am considering giong with a treo 650 over some of the PPC competitors and I was wondering if I could log into some of my favorite online radio broadcasts and listen in from my treo.

I don't know if there is a better way to test this than by asking you existing Treo users to try it out and tell me the results. Here is a sample of a website I would like to listen to.

www.wava.com

The 2 "listen live" player options are Real Player, and Windows media player.

If anyone knows a way to get an online broadcast like this to work on a treo I would greatly appreciate it.

Also I heard someone saying that the treo can only download up to 2 MB files? Is this true? Is there a way around that?

Thanks in advance
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    Pocket Tunes will stream broadcasts from www.shoutcast.com. In addition, Shoutcast has tutorials on how you can make your own Shoutcast server.
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    You can listen to other things online besides shoutcast. If a site has an mp3 feed, and the feed is a low bitrate like 28-31, you should be able to listen to it with PocketTunes Deluxe.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    So if the site does not offer a mp3 version of thier broadcast, IE - Live radio, then I won't be able to listen to it unless its listed on shoutcast's site? Is this a limitation that the new Windows Mobile Treo would LIKELY be able to avoid (I know its not out, but if someone has used a WinMobile PPC-phone before treo maybe they can vouch).
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost
    You can listen to other things online besides shoutcast. If a site has an mp3 feed, and the feed is a low bitrate like 28-31, you should be able to listen to it with PocketTunes Deluxe.
    With an EDGE-capable phone (like the 650) and an EDGE data plan, one can listen to streams at much higher bitrates (around 100 kbps)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooks308
    So if the site does not offer a mp3 version of thier broadcast, IE - Live radio, then I won't be able to listen to it unless its listed on shoutcast's site? Is this a limitation that the new Windows Mobile Treo would LIKELY be able to avoid (I know its not out, but if someone has used a WinMobile PPC-phone before treo maybe they can vouch).
    No, it does not have to be via Shoutcast. As long as the stream is in MP3 format you'll be able to listen to it with Pocket Tunes Deluxe. Shoutcast just happens to be one of the more popular sites since every "station" in their directory features an MP3 stream (similar to Live365.com). I would assume that the Treo 700w will be able to stream .asx (Windows Media) files, just as other PPC devices are able to.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    check out http://www.live365.com and http://www.live-radio.net

Both allow you to search or sort by stream type, if I remember right. Also, I've gotten other streams than mp3 to work. Virgin radio in London streams in OGG, for instance.

Note that not every web broadcast is listed in the aforementioned aggregators. I stumbled on www.somafm.com by googling the terms "ambient chill trance radio stream".
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael
    check out http://www.live365.com and http://www.live-radio.net

Both allow you to search or sort by stream type, if I remember right. Also, I've gotten other streams than mp3 to work. Virgin radio in London streams in OGG, for instance.

Note that not every web broadcast is listed in the aforementioned aggregators. I stumbled on www.somafm.com by googling the terms "ambient chill trance radio stream".
    Ogg streaming - sweet!
    Neither Real or WMP streaming files play on any of the Treo multimedia apps. pTunes MAY play .wma files, but I don't think so, but NONE of the players handle real format yet - mostly I believe to licensing issues.

Greg

unlocked/unbranded GSM / T-Mobile
    I check the files, and it looks like the Real stream is .sml format, and the windows is .asx (mms streaming) format - neither of which will stream with any of the Treo media players (that I know of).

I can try hacking the raw asx file, but I don't think that will work. (already tried it once).

Ask the station to setup a .m3u (streaming MP3 type) format for mobile listeners.

Greg
    the 2mb limit is in the web browser program. Nobody uses it if they know whats good for 'em.

Furthermore, just to clarify, mp3 streams ARE live. It's not like, a recording that you are downloading and playing.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sam-i-am
    the 2mb limit is in the web browser program. Nobody uses it if they know whats good for 'em.
    You mean the icon called "Web". Is that different than blazer? I'm not 100% sure what you mean but I would like to knowa way around it if you could explain a little further.
    Web and Blazer are the same thing. Blazer has a 2mb download limit. 3rd party browsers like Xiino don't have this limit
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooks308

Yeah, currently there is no support for streaming wma on palmos due to high lisencing coast by M$. Maybe Ptunes will support this in the future though.

However the Wm Treo should definitely be able to stream anything that you do now on you PPC...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Bah, lol If i go with the Winmobile Treo I drop down in resolution.... Grr I guess I'll have to consider if I have the patience to wait for a GSM model of that or just plunge into a 650 and hope software designers get creative

I use T-Mobile and will have to wait for a GSM model of it if I decide to wait.
    I do not have edge or evdo & I can listen to 96k streams with no hiccups. I can sometimes even get 128k with no hiccups either! keep in mind anything under 96k will not be in stereo.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo
    I do not have edge or evdo & I can listen to 96k streams with no hiccups. I can sometimes even get 128k with no hiccups either! keep in mind anything under 96k will not be in stereo.
    Dunno about that. I listen to 32k stereo stations all the time. It's up to how the streamer sets it up. Check out Astreaux World around bed time tonight. sounds great.
    Quote Originally Posted by ninodelsol
    With an EDGE-capable phone (like the 650) and an EDGE data plan, one can listen to streams at much higher bitrates (around 100 kbps)
    Didn't know the 650 was EDGE capable.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    Quote Originally Posted by treosixoo
    Didn't know the 650 was EDGE capable.
    Yep, check the specs:

http://web.palm.com/products/smartph..._gsmdsheet.pdf

The CDMA version of the 650 can get pretty high speeds with Sprint or Verizon, but the GSM version will require that you have EDGE from your carrier in order to get 100+ kbps.