Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi folks,

I received a new generation car kit cradle for my Treo 650 from Seidio, they called it G4850. Again, thatís an engineering testing sample, but did not affect its performance. According to Seidio, a GPS is already built in the cradle, which is a SiRF Star III chipset, the latest GPS technology, which means no more extra GPS receiver or an addition clumsy cable. I believe this is a new innovation to GPS and car kit industry.

Comparing to its predecessor, G2500, its outlook is sleeker, more decent and streamline even there is a GPS built-in. It also inherit its predecessorís hands-free and the dc-out capabilities. There are ports of mic-in, earpiece-out, dc-in, dc-in, all are compatible with G2500, so an upgrade from G2500 would not have any problem. Since it comes with a GPS built-in, a myth of its receiving performance will become my main concern. After I did a particular field test, the myth is busted and I was astonished by its receiving performance. A 3D fix can be achieved with less than a minute, it can still have great signal reception even I put it near my car stereo or the shift knob.
    In addition, I have tested it with TomTom navigator 5.1 and it is fully compatible. The sound is coming out from the speaker in the front instead of at the back that G2500 did, sound quality is better and louder. It also supports the hardwire capability and external antenna.

For those who do not have any GPS receiver yet, or want to have such stylish and slim car kit design with GPS built-in, this may be a good start on GPS enabled hands-free car kit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (18.4 KB, 368 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (17.4 KB, 334 views)
    the idea of this sounds great. does it also have audio out like the innodock cradle? another plus, would be if it would take a treo in a case like the magnum. if so, this could be exactly what i was looking for. please keep us posted on how this works out for you.
    it's not a crack house, it's a crack home.
    Hi kabuto

I also have an engineering testing sample of G4850 prototype, it works out great with my Treo 650 an also it does have the audio out for FM-Transmitter or hardwire to the car stereo, however it couoldn't dock with any cases I believe it's because of the 360 degree rotatable design so they can keep the Treo 650 safely in place without taking the risk of droping it on the grand. Also the phone conversation volume has improve alot compare to their current G2500 model.
    Does it have a built-in microphone, or do you have to use that stupid wired mic?

Does it allow for an antenna connection to be made while in the cradle? That was an important shortcoming of the G2500
    Quote Originally Posted by sndtubes
    Does it have a built-in microphone, or do you have to use that stupid wired mic?

Does it allow for an antenna connection to be made while in the cradle? That was an important shortcoming of the G2500

Hi

I think the reason seidio want to use a wired microphone is instead of build in microphone is because if they use build in microphone than will generate alot of feedback to the person who you talking to while the build in microphone will capture all the sound come out of the build in ampifier speaker. Also an extenal cell phone antenna booster will fit in this new G4850 model.
    what a great idea ! when is it going to be available ? Is it with the wired receiver, but without wires ?
    Quote Originally Posted by KBKB
    what a great idea ! when is it going to be available ? Is it with the wired receiver, but without wires ?
    My question exactly. Is it a Bluetooth or a wired receiver? Any idea of availability?
    Quote Originally Posted by eafenyes
    My question exactly. Is it a Bluetooth or a wired receiver? Any idea of availability?
    The beauty of it is that it connects with the serial interface of any of the devices we support - Bluetooth and/or extra wires not needed. Initially, our supported model will be the Treo 650, but others will follow. We also have a scaled down version - without speaker - in the works as well. I will announce it here as soon as we have sendable product in stock. We're all very excited about it as well!
    I think I can predict with reasonable certainty that my wife will want to get me one of these for Christmas. She hates her role as the navigator when we go anywhere and she can’t wait to give it up to a mechanical gizmo. I have been looking at the various products available for my Treo 650 and they all seemed to have some aspects I didn’t like. This cradle will solve the hardware problem. Of course, I will still have to decide between TomTom and Mapolis.
    Quote Originally Posted by eafenyes
    I think I can predict with reasonable certainty that my wife will want to get me one of these for Christmas. She hates her role as the navigator when we go anywhere and she canít wait to give it up to a mechanical gizmo. I have been looking at the various products available for my Treo 650 and they all seemed to have some aspects I didnít like. This cradle will solve the hardware problem. Of course, I will still have to decide between TomTom and Mapolis.
    GPS Software availability for Palm devices is extremely limited, as all of us know. We are trying to establish partnerships with manufacturers of WM/PPC GPS software and convince them to port their applications to the Palm. This is somewhat of an uphill battle - especially since the announcement of the 700w. This is extremely frustrating to us as well, as we would like to offer our customers a greater variety of out-of-the-box GPS solutions. We are making incredible progress with our cradles, but we are not software engineers. A grassroots campaign would be nice - emailing some of the more popular WM software providers and petitioning them for Palm support. If anyone gets a positive response, please let us know.
    Can you use a Bluetooth headset while it is in the cradle with a GSM Treo650????????

If so, I can't wait to see it...

The one thing that really sucks about the G2500 is you are forced to use the speakerphone in the car..there is no way to use a wired or B/T headset with the unit in the cradle
    Quote Originally Posted by davisdog
    Can you use a Bluetooth headset while it is in the cradle with a GSM Treo650????????

If so, I can't wait to see it...

The one thing that really sucks about the G2500 is you are forced to use the speakerphone in the car..there is no way to use a wired or B/T headset with the unit in the cradle
    With the 4850, you still won't be able to use your B/T headset - BUT, check out the thread about the G2350. With that cradle (essentially the same as the 4850 but without a built-in speaker), you will indeed be able to use your Bluetooth headset.
    Quote Originally Posted by seidioseidio
    With the 4850, you still won't be able to use your B/T headset - BUT, check out the thread about the G2350. With that cradle (essentially the same as the 4850 but without a built-in speaker), you will indeed be able to use your Bluetooth headset.
    Does the G2350 still have an audio output port so you can connect it to the aux input of your car stereo?

I looked at that thread but it wasnt clear if it was just missing the built in speaker or if it didnt have any audio capabilities.

I use the G2500 to route the audio (mp3's music, GPS commands) through my stereo, and that's key also

thx
    Steve
    Does the G2350 still have an audio output port so you can connect it to the aux input of your car stereo?

I looked at that thread but it wasnt clear if it was just missing the built in speaker or if it didnt have any audio capabilities.

I use the G2500 to route the audio (mp3's music, GPS commands) through my stereo, and that's key also

thx
    Steve
    No, that not planned for implementation at this time. We do make changes based upon user requests, however, and this one is duly noted.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    How's the sound quality when you're on the phone using the built in speaker?
    Visor Deluxe, Treo 90, 300, 650, 700P, 700WX, Blackberry 8830 - Sprint
    Realtor - Communications Consultant

thx
    Steve
    Maybe Seidio can come up a model

1) Model specific for Treo 650 (not arm squeeze type)
    2) No amplified speaker(Since you are going to connect to the car stereo)
    3) Has audio out port
    4) Has external speaker (or can use the Treo internal mic)
    5) GPS builtin
    6) Can use the BT headset
    7) can access to the external antenna
    8) Can be hardwired

This is going to be a winner !

What do you think Steve ?
    Quote Originally Posted by jnjewlz
    How's the sound quality when you're on the phone using the built in speaker?
    Quite good - very easy to hear.

3) Has audio out port
    5) GPS builtin
    8) Can be hardwired

1. All of our cradles are model specific -= there are no "arm squeeze types" like Arkon models
    2. There is, however a speaker on both the 4500 and 4850 models
    3. The 4500 and 4850 both have audio out ports
    4. Still need a microphone with both models
    5. The 4850 has a GPS chipset built-in
    6. We are working on a model that allows you to use your BT headset
    7 You can access external antennas with both the 4500 and 4850
    8. You can hardwire both models

We are working on additional models that will eventually encompass any and all needs and/or desires that Treo owners want.
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seidioseidio
    GPS Software availability for Palm devices is extremely limited, as all of us know. We are trying to establish partnerships with manufacturers of WM/PPC GPS software and convince them to port their applications to the Palm. This is somewhat of an uphill battle - especially since the announcement of the 700w. This is extremely frustrating to us as well, as we would like to offer our customers a greater variety of out-of-the-box GPS solutions. We are making incredible progress with our cradles, but we are not software engineers. A grassroots campaign would be nice - emailing some of the more popular WM software providers and petitioning them for Palm support. If anyone gets a positive response, please let us know.
    I tried Navman SmartSt (which I hated) and I'm currently trying TomTom5 which shows promise, but I still prefer (and use) iGuadance on my PPC. I would love a Palm version of this app (along with the Navtech maps instead of Teleatlas).

3) Has audio out port
    5) GPS builtin
    8) Can be hardwired

KBKB,

I think the 4850 is really close to this....the only thing I'd add to what seidioseidio said is

2) If the amplified speaker doesnt add much to the cost, its still a bonus even if you have it hardwired to the stereo...there have been a couple times when I'm using the AM/FM on the stereo so I just use the builtin speaker so I can hear the GPS commands when they come up (when I've got the treo piping music through the stereo the GPS commands also come over the car system...you can actually adjust the volume in TomTom so it plays over the music nicely)

6) Yup, the B/T headset is one thing that doesnt integrate (at least yet)...more of a Palm limitation but I believe Seidio is working to over come it...If you need to use the B/T headset, you can just pull the Treo up slightly so it sits on the cradle but isnt connected to the cradle interface jack

the rest of it is already in the 4850 (and I should have one shortly so I can comment on it)

ps..thanks for the PM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast