Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    All this talk of iTunes and the Treo and no one mentions Tea Vui Huang's Mass Storage Synchronizer (click here)? Syncs flawlessly with your iTunes...directly.

Combine that with an iTunes skin for pTunes, jHymn to remove DRM and you basically have an iPod.
    so , is the easiest way to go to burn a Cd?
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    With your iTunes app on your PC, burn the music to an audio CD-R, then rip the tunes to MP3 format with any old MP3 ripper (I used CDex).
    Quote Originally Posted by o_town_racer
    With your iTunes app on your PC, burn the music to an audio CD-R, then rip the tunes to MP3 format with any old MP3 ripper (I used CDex).
    That's the least efficient way.

Why not use jHymn? It removes all the DRM and info from the file and even automatically updates your iTunes file list. You don't even need to tell it which files..it'll scan your entire library for the DRM'd ones. Jhymn is by far 1) the fastest 2) the easiest way to get rid of DRM'd files.

Heck, if you're going to use the old "burn'em to CD" method, why not mount a virtual-drive to burn them to and then rip 'em back. This will at least save you wasting tons of CDs....
    JHymn is not compatible with iTunes 6. There are details on the JHymn site. Ripping to CD and re-encoding would be the only way to change formats.
    How can you mount a virtual drive? This has always intme with the capabilities ive heard of it. But I am clueless as to how to do it.
    Unless you need iTunes 6 or higher (only for video ipods) you can stick with 5.01 (available here).

As far as mounting a virtual drive...I haven't done it in awhile but I'm fairly certain there's a function to do it in Nero 6.6 (and later versions). I'm sure if you do a google search or read the Nero help file you can figure it out. Not too hard.
    Ive never heard of being able to "burn" to a virtual drive... but I guess thoeretically its possible. I use Daemon Tools for all my virtual drive needs...
    Quote Originally Posted by durex
    Ive never heard of being able to "burn" to a virtual drive... but I guess thoeretically its possible. I use Daemon Tools for all my virtual drive needs...
    Edit: actually seems this doesn't work directly with iTunes anymore (doesn't recognize the virtual drive) but it used to work. In this case I'd still stick with jHymn and iTunes 5.01 which is easier anyways...

-----------------------------------------------------------
    It's not a question of being "theoretically" possible. It is possible as I've done it before.

But to be more specific for people here I did a quick google and found this link:

Image Burning Method

This method doesn't need a CD-R to burn on and might be a little faster. Another advantage is that you can probably burn more than 80 minutes of music at once (I never tested it, but I think it'll work). Many CD recording programs allow you to burn on a "virtual recorder", creating a CD Image file on your hard disk.

1. In Nero, do this by clicking "Recorder" > "Choose Recorder..." > "Image Recorder" and then creating a new CD as usual.
    2. After clicking on "burn", you're asked where you want the file to be saved. Select a drive that has enough free space to save all the contents of the CD.
    3. When Nero has finished, you need a virtual drive like CloneCD's "VirtualCloneDrive" or the virtual drive in "Alcohol 120%". You can get a 21-day trial version of VirtualCloneDrive at http://www.slysoft.com/en/download.html . An alternative is Daemon Tools 3.47 or 4.00, both of which can be downloaded at http://www.daemon-tools.cc/ . Note that the newer 4.00 version contains Adware.
    4. Right-click on your virtual drive and select "open image file..." or something similar - depending on which software you use. Then open the image file you created.
    5. After loading your image file, rip the CD in the virtual drive as you would do with a normal CD.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 02/20/2006 at 10:51 PM.
    The easiest thing to do is NOT use iTunes. I was simply suggesting a work-around if you are stuck with a large iTunes library you want to transform to MP3. Personally I would use a music service that lets you download MP3 format files (Sony Connect, Best Buy MusicNow, Napster, Yahoo, etc) and you won't have to worry about this translation process. Also, I use the "Free Hi-Q Recorder" to generate my own MP3 files from streaming on-line music videos. Just think how much $$ you'll save at $1/song you record on your own. Now days, you can play almost all the pop music videos online for free. The Hi-Q recorder works just like a tape recorder. Hit "record" and anything that plays over your PC's sound card is recorded to an MP3 file. Hit "stop" when you're done. It's that simple.
    Last edited by o_town_racer; 02/21/2006 at 07:40 AM.
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    Ya maybe when Apple buys out palm, and flips Moto the birdy
    I know this is an old thread, but I just came across SyncTunes and thought it would be worth mentioning again, might save some of you a lot of time. For the year I've had the 650 I've struggled with manual copying of files to the "MUSIC" folder on the SD card and never quite had it right since keeping track of what I had vs. what I wanted was inconvenient and I'm lazy. Then I found SyncTunes. I was totally impressed at how much this free app does and how convenient it is to use. If you're a Mac user, have MP3 and AAC files, use iTunes and want to manage the music on your Treo, download SyncTunes! Rather than to take up space in this thread, you can read about SyncTunes and my review of it here.

(No, of course it still won't play DRM-protected music like that you buy from the iTunes store. So just bite the bullet, rip the DRM'ed songs to CDs and import them back to iTunes.)
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by o_town_racer View Post
    The easiest thing to do is NOT use iTunes. I was simply suggesting a work-around if you are stuck with a large iTunes library you want to transform to MP3. Personally I would use a music service that lets you download MP3 format files (Sony Connect, Best Buy MusicNow, Napster, Yahoo, etc) and you won't have to worry about this translation process. Also, I use the "Free Hi-Q Recorder" to generate my own MP3 files from streaming on-line music videos. Just think how much $$ you'll save at $1/song you record on your own. Now days, you can play almost all the pop music videos online for free. The Hi-Q recorder works just like a tape recorder. Hit "record" and anything that plays over your PC's sound card is recorded to an MP3 file. Hit "stop" when you're done. It's that simple.
    This program is great, and the paid version lets you play a whole playlist of songs and it hears the silence between the songs as a sign to create a new track.

You just have to make sure you turn off all crossfading on your player and all other system sounds. I was recording a song and trying repeatedly to open a folder on my network and geting lots of error sounds, so it came out like:

La la la la la la BONK la BONK la la BONK BONK BONK.
    Safety and happiness can only come from individuals, classes, and nations being honest and fair and kind to each other.
    - C.S. Lewis
    The easiest thing to do is NOT use iTunes.
    That's easily said, but, I have a 60 GB iPod and had been using iTunes 6+ to rip and buy content before I went with the Treo 650. So, I'm stuck either waiting for JHymn to crack the encryption or doing the burning/ripping thing to strip the DRM from my bought tracks.

"Every silver lining has a cloud." (TS Garp in The World According To Garp), iTunes is probably the best audio / video library management system out there, but this DRM thing is their "cloud". It's too damn bad that they have to put these limits on the music they sell to keep the record labels happy. All I want to do is listen to the music I bought the way I want to listen to it.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Mike Lohsl
    Mobile Evangelist

From The Mind Of Mike...
    You can always burn the iTunes music to audio CDs and re-rip them to MP3 files to be use in ANY OTHER PLAYER. iTunes is such a rip off. If you're paying for the files, you should be able to download them in any file format.

Yeah, like using the beautiful AllofMP3.com
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Then there is always this:

http://hymn-project.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1555

And a friend told me it also converts your data (track name, artist, album, but not rating or playcount).
    Safety and happiness can only come from individuals, classes, and nations being honest and fair and kind to each other.
    - C.S. Lewis
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12