Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I see a lot of discussion on the delay when dialing a number, but less on an annoying delay on powerup that I'm getting. When I press phone or power/end, it takes 4-5 seconds, at least, for the screen to come on and display the keyguard prompt. One consequence is that the keyguard prompt only pops up for a second or so since its timer seems to start when the first button is pushed, not when the screen comes up and I can press the second.

This behavior occurs independently of: SD card installed/not, phone on/off, Bluetooth on/off, keyguard on/off.

The Palm was supposed to be "instant-on". I can't begin to explain how annoying this behavior is.
    It is some software running in the background, or trying to connect to the network (voice or data), hogging up the CPU cycles.

Try turning off Bloetooth and IR if you are not using them. Post your list of applications. Are you in a strong signal area?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    This is a pretty universal problem that appears to be completely independent of any third-party software or signal strength issues. Search for the multiple threads on this here and you'll be hard pressed to find any sort of consistency or pattern in this behavior, except that it occurs on Treo 650's. I've seen this happen on virgin phones in high signal strength areas, so I know it's unrelated to those symptoms.

Chalk it up to another Treo ideosyncracy.
    I'm back!
    What is crazy to me is the time it takes to do a soft reset. Windows xp boots up faster than the treo.
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by Praxis
    I see a lot of discussion on the delay when dialing a number, but less on an annoying delay on powerup that I'm getting. When I press phone or power/end, it takes 4-5 seconds, at least, for the screen to come on and display the keyguard prompt. One consequence is that the keyguard prompt only pops up for a second or so since its timer seems to start when the first button is pushed, not when the screen comes up and I can press the second.

This behavior occurs independently of: SD card installed/not, phone on/off, Bluetooth on/off, keyguard on/off.

The Palm was supposed to be "instant-on". I can't begin to explain how annoying this behavior is.
    It has been fixed in ROM 1.14. Phone pops up instantly. (Maybe not really instantly, but less than 0.5Sec).
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by cellneuron
    It has been fixed in ROM 1.14. Phone pops up instantly. (Maybe not really instantly, but less than 0.5Sec).
    Verizon's currently at 1.03 (though their site says upgrade if you have < 1.04, they only offer 1.03). I assume I have to wait for their upgrade and that 1.14 is the unlocked version?
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    This is a pretty universal problem that appears to be completely independent of any third-party software or signal strength issues. Search for the multiple threads on this here and you'll be hard pressed to find any sort of consistency or pattern in this behavior, except that it occurs on Treo 650's. I've seen this happen on virgin phones in high signal strength areas, so I know it's unrelated to those symptoms.

Chalk it up to another Treo ideosyncracy.
    This is how I debug this: If this happens after a warm reset (nothing loaded, not even the phone), then it is a hardware issue. If after a hard reset, but with the phone on, it's something to do with the Radio signal. If after loafing applications, it is related to the applications ...

In my case, I don't have the problem, unless there is a background process (Xpress Mail updating, Handmark Express or something running in the background). This used to happen a lot with earlier versions of ProfileCare. I have not installed PC in many weeks now ...

On the whole, I gree that this is still a mystery in many cases.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by Praxis
    Verizon's currently at 1.03 (though their site says upgrade if you have < 1.04, they only offer 1.03). I assume I have to wait for their upgrade and that 1.14 is the unlocked version?
    I was wondering exactly the same thing. I could have sworn I saw
    1.04 there but what you said is what I saw.

I'm waiting for the 1.04 upgrade (and some time from the announcement
    so that others can be the guinea pigs.)
    For me:

1.15 Cingular locked ROM, fresh hard reset - 2 seconds to power on the screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    This is how I debug this: If this happens after a warm reset (nothing loaded, not even the phone), then it is a hardware issue. If after a hard reset, but with the phone on, it's something to do with the Radio signal. If after loafing applications, it is related to the applications ...

In my case, I don't have the problem, unless there is a background process (Xpress Mail updating, Handmark Express or something running in the background). This used to happen a lot with earlier versions of ProfileCare. I have not installed PC in many weeks now ...

On the whole, I gree that this is still a mystery in many cases.
    Which is why I've always just written this off as another "shrug, something else I hate about my Treo" thing. It's an annoyance that I've just learned to live with. It's far easier to take than the lockups and resets when a call comes in.
    I'm back!
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanc2
    For me:

1.15 Cingular locked ROM, fresh hard reset - 2 seconds to power on the screen.
    It's normal taking 2 sec to load phone app in GSM verion treo 650. Foruntately the incoming update (OS 5.4.8) increase it to 0.5 sec, so cheer up.
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by cellneuron
    Mine doesn't, and I'm using ROM 1.14 w/Sprint.

I haven't cleared it out and tested it that way though...
    Quote Originally Posted by longterm
    Mine doesn't, and I'm using ROM 1.14 w/Sprint.

I haven't cleared it out and tested it that way though...
    Sorry, I am talking about the leaked GSM version ROM 1.14.
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smcracraft
    I was wondering exactly the same thing. I could have sworn I saw
    1.04 there but what you said is what I saw.

I'm waiting for the 1.04 upgrade (and some time from the announcement
    so that others can be the guinea pigs.)
    1.04 is now out - http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...r/verizon.html
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by mk3013
    How timely! Hope it works.

I assume something like Backup Buddy is recommended for upgrades like these? I keep seeing it recommended, but I never really see people saying why, aside from "hotsync doesn't back up everything". So, what doesn't it back up? I'm sure there's some stuff, even though I haven't run into any myself.
    Mine is based on my SD card - Kingston 1GB. When inserted ~2 seconds to power up. When not inserted ~.5 seconds.

1.28/1.13 ROW custom on locked Cingular.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanc2
    Mine is based on my SD card - Kingston 1GB. When inserted ~2 seconds to power up. When not inserted ~.5 seconds.

1.28/1.13 ROW custom on locked Cingular.
    As I mentioned, mine is not related to my (quite small) sd card. The update cleared the delay up for now, though.
    Sprint 1.08. Always much less than a second. Until:

1. Installing Voice Dial by VoIce Signal. Had to wait for quite a few seconds to minutes (inconsistent). Sometimes ejecting and reinstalling the card would work. Other times I'd have to soft reset.

2. Installing Profiles by Milan. Have it set to detect plugin & plugout (charge cable) to change profiles. Have to wait a few seconds after plugging in or out, if I don't wait it doesn't turn on. Wait a few seconds, press again, and it's on.

It's already too easy to dial on this thing, so Voice Dial to the trash bin (I often use bluetooth headsets anyway). I kept Profiles. I value it much more, and I can deal with rare, predictable, short delays.

Maybe it's because I installed Profiles first rather than the other way around. Or maybe Voice Dial doesn't get along with some other software I've got.

Note that I used only the trial version of VoIce Dial - I never paid for it. Don't know it that would've made a difference.
    Praxis, Jayzee, Mine has been doing this from day one. I don't believe it's a bug it just gets itself confused sometimes, with applications running in the background sometimes powers offm then I push power on but no response then I push it again. Sometimes assured to happen through combination of apps/hacks lagging button presses - ie. by the time it catches up I've pushed power button twice & thus it's off again.

Anyway no sweat - 100% of the time, if I pop out the SD card & reinsert it - it make the treo wake up again. It is not hung & does not need reset.
    I've had this problem a couple of times and resolved it by doing a soft reset.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650 | T-Mobile
    Received: 2/10/2005
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast