1.    #1  
    Hello,

Does anybody know of a program similar to Pilot Install that allows direct installation of files to the treo or expansion card to avoid having to wait for the Palm desktop to sync everthing else? I know that Palm has the Quick Install option, but this does not allow for selection of where on the expansion card I want the files to be installed. Pilot Install allows for these things but I can't get it to work with my Treo 650.

Anybody have any ideas or know of any application that will do this?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mattjh
    Hello,

Does anybody know of a program similar to Pilot Install that allows direct installation of files to the treo or expansion card to avoid having to wait for the Palm desktop to sync everthing else? I know that Palm has the Quick Install option, but this does not allow for selection of where on the expansion card I want the files to be installed. Pilot Install allows for these things but I can't get it to work with my Treo 650.

Anybody have any ideas or know of any application that will do this?

Thanks
    fyi...no need to post the same thread twice.

You can use a card reader to copy a file directly to the sd card
    found this
    Pilot Install will work with the Treo 650. Follow these instructions courtesy of rbienstock on TreoCentral.

1. Create a separate folder and put pinstall.exe in it.
    2. Search your hard drive for other versions of pinstall, and if they exist, delete or rename them.
    3. Copy USBTransport.dll from your Palm directory (usually C:\Program Files\Palm) into your new pinstall directory.
    4. Make a second copy of USBTransport.dll in the same directory and rename it USBport.dll
    5. Go to your System32 directory (usually c:\windows\system32) and rename the file USBport.dll to something else.
    6. Copy USBTransport.dll and USBport.dll from the pinstall directory to the System32 directory.
    7. Run pinstall and do Options>Unregister Filetypes, then do Options>Register Filetypes.

After that pinstall will be associated with all your palm filetypes and you can install them merely by doubleclicking.

Now ... I can get this to work on my Win2K machine but not on my XP machine (both using Treo 600)
  4.    #4  
    Thanks a million!

That took care of it! It now will install to both the card and Treo. Before, all I would get was an error message. I didn't do the registering part of your message because I don't mind adding the files to Pinstall before hotsyncing. I'm also running WinXP Home on my computer and it seems to work fine.

Thanks again!
  5.    #5  
    I found that when renaming USBport.dll in the system32 folder to something else it would cause my normal Palm Desktop hotsync not to work. After trying a lot of different things, I found that the only files needed to be copied to the Pilot install folder is two copies of the USBtransport.dll from the Palm directory. Then place another copy in the system32 folder. Rename one of the files in the Pilot Install folder to USBport.dll and that's it! Nothing needs to be done to the USBport.dll in the system32 folder. If you want, place a shortcut to the pinstall.exe file on your desktop. Now both the Palm Desktop hotsync and the Pilot Install hotsync work.