1.    #1  
    Ok i'm totally befuddled.
    I've converted a dvd to my hard drive using Mac the Ripper but now i'm not sure where to go next to take those files and compress them further for playback on my Treo 650. If someone could explain the next steps I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks,
    Cris...
    get Handbrake. free program that will take your dvd file (or just rip a .avi file directly from a DVD) and convert it to an .avi file. Handbrake settings: output format AVI/MPEG-4/MP3 audio : MPEG-4 encoder XviD (i use custom kbps of 150 to keep quality good, and file size down) : leave 2 pass encoding unchecked. Crop to 320 : audio Bitrate 32 . Copy .avi file to SD card and view using TCPMP. Make popcorn. : > of course i've never done this, it's just what i've heard.
  3.    #3  
    Treoperk, ok i'm going through this process and it says it's going to take 18 hours is this normal?
    oh yeh what player do you use to view the finished product on your treo?

Cris...
    Quote Originally Posted by coastalfog
    Treoperk, ok i'm going through this process and it says it's going to take 18 hours is this normal?
    oh yeh what player do you use to view the finished product on your treo?

Cris...
    Get TCPMP.
    Do a search. It is stable. It is versatile. And best yet... it is free.
  5.    #5  
    ok we'll i've downloaded and installed TCPMP now if this thing ever finishes compressing i'll let you know how it works.

Does it take this long for everyone or am i doing something wrong.

Cris...
    I use D-Vision 2 (another free app for the Mac) to encode. It usually takes about 4-5 hours, so I rip the movie using Mac the Ripper, then start encoding right before I go to bed.
  7.    #7  
    THanks Pablo that's what i ended up doing last night ;-)
    What kind of settings are you having the best luck with in D-vision.
    I compressed a full DVD down to 132 megs but it's a little pixelated so i'd like to recompress it again with different settings. Just wondering what others are using.

Thanks again
    Cris.
    Video:

Xvid
    1 Pass
    Best/Slow
    NTSC

300 kbps
    320x height depending on aspect ratio
    keyframe interval - 25 frames
    frames/sec - 23.976

Audio:

mp3 @96 kbits/sec and constant bitrate

Movies usually come in between 300 and 400 megs. Can get much lower, but the quality is great at this rate.
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    You might also want to checkout this thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=81371

I have often referred to it when ripping DVD's for my T650. Using the tread mentioned results in a pretty small file, usually between 100-200 megs (depending on the desired resolution and frame-rate), and all the tools used are free
  10.    #10  
    Pablo thanks for the settings, i'll give them a try.

spiVeyx, i found that thread today and used them to create a dvd which i'm copying onto my treo as i type. I'll let you know how it looks it was only 130megs.

Thanks again to both of you .

Cris...
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    I would recommend fairuse wizard. It is a simple, one step process. At 300mb, the matrix looks great. Transfers right from the dvd down to whatever size you want. You can specify by quality or by memory size.
    Fairuse Wizard appears to require Windows. This is a forum specifically for the Treo with regards to OS X related issues.
    Kimona isn't free, but it has been the most reliable and best compression/playback solution I have experienced on a mac. My movies compress without pixelation using the preset 650 settings and the playback is terrific.