1.    #1  
    All,

About a million people have my phone number, which is OK, but that means I get a lot of calls from people who aren't in my address book.

As a result, when CallerID is enabled, I can see the incoming telephone number, but if they aren't in my address book, I don't see a name.

When I want to see who that caller was, I can frequently go to the call log, copy the phone number, fire up the web browser, go to Google, paste the phone number, do a search, and let Google tell me who it was who called me.

It doesn't work all the time of course, but you'd be surprised how often it works.

Now here's the thing: I would think it is easy to program an app to pull a number from the call log, check it on Google, and report back what Google says. So simple, in fact, that I'm not sure that I'm just remembering a program that I may have seen earlier.

So, does anyone know of a program like this?

If not, if one of the clever programmers who read this forum sees this idea and wants to run with it, please feel free to run with it for all you've got - just kindly offer me a free license in exchange for my releasing all rights to this idea.

Cheers!

-Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
    Get the Directory Assistance app....search here for it.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    anywho.com is a reverse look up
    Of course you can already copy the phone number from the log. Another program, not free, is Handmark Express. Last week it was $35/year but now it is back up to $70/year.
  5.    #5  
    Hmm, well, I already use Directory Assistant for pretty much everything else. I suppose it does the trick, BUT with just about as much keypresses as using a web browser (with a bookmark) to google.

Perhaps I'll write to DA's author and ask if reading directly from the call log is a possibility...

-Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
    Why not just SMS google with the 10 digit phone number? i.e. SMS 46645 While you're at it, check out the other fun features you can do with SMS and your friend google.
    Handmark Express 411 has reverse phone number lookup. I believe there's a 1 month free trial:
    http://express.handmark.com/
    You can subscribe to just 411 without subscribing to the whole express suite.