Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    I have the unlocked with 1.13/1.31 if I go to 1.13/1.41 will I be able to go back to 1.31 without any issues incase there are problems with 1.41?
  2.    #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    Does anyone know the source of the new ROM update? Is this from Palm directly?

Jeff
    As said in hi-PDA, somebody got this rom first from his friend (possible a software engineer in Palm). Then another guy download the ROM and customized it. The ROM you saw is actually the customized version.

That's why you will actually found two versions of this ROM on Hi-PDA. One version is in the RAR package with Chinese filename. That's the unchanged version from the Palm guy. The other one is what you saw here.

- Added on 10/6:

I was wrong when I post this one.

The customized version you see here is NOT from Hi-PDA. And I don't know where it comes from.

There is actually a customed version on Hi-PDA. But it doesn't have the VolumeCare in it.
    Last edited by onnow; 10/06/2005 at 04:01 PM.
  3.    #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by jgm
    The Chinese software includes CJKOS which is a Chinese IME, what appears to be some sort of firewall, Chinese versions of Butler, McPhling, RescoExplorer, PowerRun, VolumeCare and a Chinese dictionary. It also includes a TealCalc DA but it is in a RAR file. Not sure how that works. Finally, there is something called FixMPY650, the Chinese in the filename just says it was created by some guy surnamed Xu, have no idea what it does.
    FixMPY650 is actually a patch to a Chinese IME program. The IME was originally developped for Treo600. But it doesn't work well on Treo 650. So Xu released this patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    Yes thanks! Please call me ASAP. Drop me an email with your phone number and I will call you back.

Jeff
    jeff@GoTreoSoftware.com
    Hi Jeff,

This piracy is happening in another country, likely mainland China as that is where HiPDA appears to be, so you might be better off contacting the commercial section in your consulate in Beijing and asking their advice.

I don't know if it is worth the expense to put up a major fight though. There are not a lot of Treos in China as there is no official distribution network. Most of the units sold have been purchased in Hong Kong by the store owner in China. The pirated version has likely been modified to use only simplified Chinese characters so it would only be useful in mainland China or Singapore. Hong Kong and Taiwan use Traditional Chinese. If they were posting an English version that had been hacked to solve any password issues and avoiding your built in protections then you would have something to worry about.

I would suggest that you add a pop-up message to your built in protections that alers the user he is using a pirated version and that its performance has been altered. No use having some guy that doesn't know he has a pirated version bad-mouthing VolumeCare. Word of mouth spreads incredibly quickly in China.
    Amazing that these guys are stealing this software, modifying their phones to the point they may not be fixable and I bet a few will take their phones back to the carrier wanting them replaced and blame the Treo. Jeff, I hope you legally get each of the people who have illegal copies of your software from this hack and you get the people who put this custom ROM out there. And to think they are doing all of this because it supposedly makes their phone apps load a second quicker...
    Quote Originally Posted by jgm
    Hi Jeff,

This piracy is happening in another country, likely mainland China as that is where HiPDA appears to be, so you might be better off contacting the commercial section in your consulate in Beijing and asking their advice.

I don't know if it is worth the expense to put up a major fight though. There are not a lot of Treos in China as there is no official distribution network. Most of the units sold have been purchased in Hong Kong by the store owner in China. The pirated version has likely been modified to use only simplified Chinese characters so it would only be useful in mainland China or Singapore. Hong Kong and Taiwan use Traditional Chinese. If they were posting an English version that had been hacked to solve any password issues and avoiding your built in protections then you would have something to worry about.

I would suggest that you add a pop-up message to your built in protections that alers the user he is using a pirated version and that its performance has been altered. No use having some guy that doesn't know he has a pirated version bad-mouthing VolumeCare. Word of mouth spreads incredibly quickly in China.
    I apprecaite the advice.

As for the pop-up, this is not at all reliable since anyone that hacks a program is going to remove this pop-up message. There is no good answer to this type of situation.

Jeff
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    Just installed new firmware (not custom ROM) and I can verify DTMF tones are now shortened to a normal length and that the network connection is quicker than previously. BTW, no change in BT.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mendo
    Yes, shorter tones, I seem to be able to dial faster, put in passwords faster, I like it so far, I may be making this up, I think the whole thing is working faster. have had no resets, only had one or two a month before so I will see.
    It does seem faster overall . After I put it through its paces tomorrow, I'll know for sure.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Does anyone know if the software upgrade will do anything? Or should i just upgrade the firmware? Has anyone updated the software too?
    Jeff,

This is what you should really worry:
    what if Palm really did fix the volume issue in this firmware upgrade.

BTW, pls take this license issues to another topic. Most people here are trying to talk about the firmware, and to discuss ways to take out those included warez before upgrade.
    Volume is a bit louder by default, but volumecare would still be helpful.

Also, mine rings outloud now even with the headset plugged in, whereas it used to ring in the headset. Can someone else confirm?

Other than that I've noticed no difference. I started having crashes this morning and put the new firmware on and it has still been a little buggy. Crash! reports that thse crashes are caused by various apps, some of which haven't been run in days, while *#377 reports unknown or picsel browser has caused the crashes.

BTW, how does one uninstall picsel accelertor?
    I started a thread over at shadowmite's forum about this. It has toasted one person's phone so far.
    http://shadowmite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=929

Sounds like maybe he ignored the low battery warning or perhaps didn't get it?
    Upgraded the firmware only (now is 1.43).
    1. TouchTone issue is fixed/improved, it sounds normal when comparing to other phones.
    2. Volume is acceptable without VC.
    Quote Originally Posted by xwaiz
    Upgraded the firmware only (now is 1.43).
    1. TouchTone issue is fixed/improved, it sounds normal when comparing to other phones.
    2. Volume is acceptable without VC.
    You're from Hong Kong? Can you read the original page? Is there any other information you can glean from it that we haven't already covered?
    I have successfully upgraded my Treo 650 unlocked GSM to Treo 650-1.14dbg/6000/01.43-ROW This correctly displays under phone info unlike what other forum members previously posted. The following are the software related improvements:

1.OS is now Garnet 5.4.8
    2.Blazer now ensures it has enough dbcache by pausing a bit prior to launching. This only happens if max db cache is low. I confirmed this using mem info. It has also been updated with a higher version.
    3. Media app has also been updated. I have yet to test this out.

I will be posting the download link for this in an hour. I have tested this thrice and have no problems with installation. Some factory settings will be reset as a result of the rom based apps being upgraded. Take note that this is a stripped down rom. This increases available dbcache for the system.
    Quote Originally Posted by sam-i-am
    You're from Hong Kong? Can you read the original page? Is there any other information you can glean from it that we haven't already covered?
    Hi Sam-i-am, nothing much from the Chinese web site, most of them are just begging for the download link. anyways, i think we have covered all their conversation.
    Last edited by MFB; 10/05/2005 at 03:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFB
    MBF,
    thanks for posting the fw+sw upgrade.

My question is: can I install it over 1.28 - 1.13ROW?

Thanks in advance.
    Has anyone gone from 1.28 to 1.43? How does the radio handle poor reception areas? I've read reports that 1.28 was better than 1.31 in this respect (signal strength, phone shutting off, etc). I for one know I had better reception before 1.31.
    Quote Originally Posted by vittogn
    MBF,
    thanks for posting the fw+sw upgrade.

My question is: can I install it over 1.28 - 1.13ROW?

Thanks in advance.
    Yes. I upgraded from 1.31/1.13
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast