1.    #1  
    Sorry to post yet another of these threads, but I have a few specific questions that I cannot find obvious answers to.

I owned a Treo 600 between Oct 03 - Oct 04 and it was ok but I found it quite restrictive in some respects. It seemed ridiculous not being able to access picture files from my computer, and I seem to recall there were other major restrictions as far as copying files to/from the device. At the time everyone's answer was to email them onto the device. This to me seems a crazy suggestion, paying for data transfer when I have the Treo and my mac connected for free. Has this changed in the Treo 650? I subsequently owned the i-mate PDA2k for about 6 months and it was relatively easy to transfer files (and with wifi I could often download stuff directly via my home network).

My other question relates to Bluetooth. One MAJOR reason I ditched the 600 was the lack of bluetooth. However, the i-mate PDA2k support was terrible. It was possible to have the Jabra connected as though you were in a call even when not making a call, and this rapidly drained the battery (often occurring by the button on the Jabra being pressed while in my pocket). I never realised how my Jabra BT250 was supposed to function until I replaced the PDA2k with a SE K700. It's a dream to use now - I switch it on and the K700 automatically connects, I can press the button on the Jabra to end the call etc. If the button on the Jabra is pressed when there isn't a call it doesn't 'connect' and cause the problems that happened with the PDA2k. Those PDA2k problems were extremely irritating. When the Treo 650 came out lots of people complained about Bluetooth, but that seems to have settled down. I presume these have been fixed with subsequent bug fixes?

Finally, it seems that Versamail is a common cause of problems with the Treo 650. I was suprised to find that this is software bundled with the device and not just some third party add on that people have chosen. I wonder why Palm are still supplying this software if there is a general concensus that it's a major cause of problems? Are there good alternatives to this email software?

I have wondered about whether to wait for the Windows based Treo but it's going to be a long time before it's available in the UK, the specs seem to be worse than the 650, and my experiences with the PDA2k make me extremely wary of ever touching a Windows Mobile device ever again. However, the improvements of version 5, and with Palms enhancements, there is a slight temptation. However I need something with a bit more capability in terms of calendars, contacts, email than I can currently squeeze out of my K700!
    Whoa alot of question there!

It seemed ridiculous not being able to access picture files from my computer, and I seem to recall there were other major restrictions as far as copying files to/from the device.
    I don't recall any restrictions with transfering pics on the 600? Anyway, transfering pics is easy enough on the 650. All you have to do is add then to the Palm Desktop Media Folder. It will then automatically resize (if you want) and sync to the ram or card of the Treo the next sync. It's as simple as that. The builtin Media app on the 650 is fine but a bit slow. I recommend a 3rd party viewer like Resco etc for much faster rendering...

When the Treo 650 came out lots of people complained about Bluetooth, but that seems to have settled down. I presume these have been fixed with subsequent bug fixes?
    The BT headset question is a mixed bag in the sense that you will have to do some research as there are wide and varying opinions on them. Search the forums and see which headsets most people like. The Moto and SE seem to be the most popular.

Finally, it seems that Versamail is a common cause of problems with the Treo 650. I was suprised to find that this is software bundled with the device and not just some third party add on that people have chosen. I wonder why Palm are still supplying this software if there is a general concensus that it's a major cause of problems? Are there good alternatives to this email software?
    I don't use Versmail and instead totally rely on CHATTER which imo is the best Treo email client out there period! Plus is also supports IMAP push!

I have wondered about whether to wait for the Windows based Treo but it's going to be a long time before it's available in the UK, the specs seem to be worse than the 650, and my experiences with the PDA2k make me extremely wary of ever touching a Windows Mobile device ever again. However, the improvements of version 5, and with Palms enhancements, there is a slight temptation. However I need something with a bit more capability in terms of calendars, contacts, email than I can currently squeeze out of my K700!
    I say get the 650 now. The WM Treo 700 will initially only be 1xEvDo based which is a CDMA standard. I highly doubt there will be a GSM/UMTS version for the next gen WM Treo until much much later in 2006. However when the next gen palmOS Treo is released is another matter and many rumors indicate sometime early next year...but no one really knows at this point...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I am not sure versa mail is the cause of *any* problem!

Since I stayed away from PDF, which Treo can't read anyhow, versa mail has not crashed on me for over 2 months.

I did one additional change, I set connection to "auto disconnect" when I leave versa mail. I found the system very stable - only problem I have is when signal is very weak. System hung, I think it is actually busy "Searching for Network..."

Rick
    I second that I have not had any problems with versamail at all.
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro