1.    #1  
    I'm having some problems playing a specific audio book using Audible on my 650.

I can play all of my other audio books without problems by transferring the files to SD card using either the cable method or via card reader. When I transfer my most recent audio book (128 MB), the transfer completes fine & AudibleManager sees the file, but Audible on the 650 does not.

The audio book file itself is fine as it plays on my laptop.

The only thing that I could think of is that it's too big. I tried only transfering a portion of the file (using the dialogue that pops up in AudibleManager on the desktop), but it still doesn't show up on the 650.

Any suggestions?
    How did you transfer the file to the SD card? I use the desktop software and it automatically places the file on the card and it places the book in a directory right off root called /AudibleAudio. I think thats the only place Audible reads books from on the card. I've listened to books up to 90mb but never seen then over 100mb. Was this a book you compiled yourself? The Audible download manager usually breaks the books down into 50-60mb chunks. Lastly what format are you trying to listen to? Is it #3 or #4? If you downloaded a #4 I don't think Audible will even see the best quality (#4 seems to be exclusivly reserved for iPODS I'm sure it's some licensing agreement they made).

TS
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the response. I purchased the audio book (Count of Monte Cristo, unabridged) from audible.co.uk and downloaded the file (several times to ensure it wasn't corrupt) in formats 2, 3, and 4. Only 2 & 3 work on the Treo. All files play fine in iTunes and Windows Media Player.

I transfered the files to my SD card via AudibleManager using first the Treo (SD card in Treo, cable from Treo to laptop) and then by using a card reader built into my laptop.

In all cases the file ends up in /AudibleAudio, but the application doesn't see it. Although I can place any other audible file in there & the handheld application sees it & plays it just fine.

I have never had the Audible download manager split a file -- it always downloads the whole file in one shot. When I go to transfer it to the Treo, I get a dialogue that lets me only copy a segment of the audio book. Tried that & it doesn't work.

Could a different algorithm by validating my file or something to that effect; by that I mean the Audible encryption algorithm? I sometimes use 2 computers, same account, but this is the only audible file that doesn't work.
    Hmmm strange, here are few things you can check/try...

1st. When you drag the book within audible manager to the treo and it asks you the range (it brings up the blue bar asking you a beginning and end part) choose a small section like 30 minutes and see if that works. Try both on the card and in internal memory.

2nd. Try downloading the book or a small section using AudibleAir (search treocentral or audible for it) it's a book downloader for the T650 and works GREAT.

3rd. Lastly, make sure the Treo is activated via the audible manager, I know this sounds silly but it will ensure the books wont play. What version of Audible for the T650 are you using I *think* the latest is 3.6.

Hope this helps.
    TS
  5.    #5  
    Very strange indeed. Get this...

I tried your suggestions & no luck with the "type 3" file; however, the "type 2" file is recognised now. Here's what I did.

I deactivated & reactivated the device, deleted the audio file on the laptop & re-downloaded it.

Audible automatically started to transfer the file to my Treo when the download was complete.

I tapped close on the communication screen and the Treo froze.

Reset the device -- audio file still not visible in Audible Player.

Hard reset & file is available to play.

I tried this with both the "type 2" and "type 3" format, but only type 2 worked. I did it twice, just to check it.

So, I now have a playable audio book, albiet of lesser quality. Better than nothing.

Thanks for your suggestions & assistance.