1.    #1  
    I set up Chatter and am able to receive e-mails but have been unsuccessful with sending via Chatter. To receive, I use a pop3 which forwards to Fastmail which Chatter then picks up.

I would like to have my outgoing e-mails look like they're coming from my work account. (pop3)

I set up my SMTP profile using the Fastmail server (mail.messagingengine.com) and have my login name and password for my fastmail account. I've also input my return address and full name.

I'm able to create an e-mail but it never seems to connect. At the bottom of the Outbox screen it shows the name of the account (Jeff's mail) and at the right corner it says SMTP Cnct.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance. You guys amaze me with your knowledge and helpfulness.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffg11570
    I set up Chatter and am able to receive e-mails but have been unsuccessful with sending via Chatter. To receive, I use a pop3 which forwards to Fastmail which Chatter then picks up.

I would like to have my outgoing e-mails look like they're coming from my work account. (pop3)

I set up my SMTP profile using the Fastmail server (mail.messagingengine.com) and have my login name and password for my fastmail account. I've also input my return address and full name.

I'm able to create an e-mail but it never seems to connect. At the bottom of the Outbox screen it shows the name of the account (Jeff's mail) and at the right corner it says SMTP Cnct.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance. You guys amaze me with your knowledge and helpfulness.
    Do you have the free fastmail service? If so, you won't be able to use their SMTP.

Can you set up your work email to use for outgoing mail?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Send a log, please, if this continues. Instructions in the FAQ at www.chatteremail.com

Marc
  4.    #4  
    Should I be able to use my pop3 account in my SMTP profile to send e-mail from Chatter? I tried it but it isn't working either.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffg11570
    Should I be able to use my pop3 account in my SMTP profile to send e-mail from Chatter? I tried it but it isn't working either.
    Most of the time. But it depends on who you use. For instance, many ISP's won't allow "relaying", meaning, unless you computer is physically connected to their network, you can't use it.

Are you getting an error message? If so what is it?

You can always use your cellular services SMTP. I noticed from your profile you're on Cingular, so I'm not sure of the settings. Use their server, and in the "reply to" field, put whatever email you want.
    Last edited by Insertion; 10/01/2005 at 08:52 AM.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  6.    #6  
    Brilliant Insertion! That made sense to me (and I should have thought of it myself) but now when I input the cingular SMTP info. and tried Reset Connections I get a Chatter Email Error:
    Sending Error: 500 5.5.1 Command unrecognized: "AUTH LOGIN"
    Your message has been saved in Drafts.
    If you're using your wireless carrier's smtp server, you should check "No Auth".

Marc
  8.    #8  
    Marc, Insertion...thanks for the help. It works!!!

Marc - thanks for the free trial. I'm paying!

Insertion - While I miss Maximus Munk I can't wait to see where the Munk ends up next. Fear the munk? No, hail the Munk!