1.    #1  
    Hi,
    Let me start by saying I love Chatter! It's the best.

The last two weeks or so my T650 has been resetting a LOT. As much as every 4 minutes. At first I thought it was Cingular's network.

Then I found a thread that gave me the same error I commonly found:
    Application: MMNotify 3.0
    MemoryMgr.c,Line:3732, NULL handle

I went to this thread: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d=1#post814998
    and followed the directions. Right now, I've deleted the Versamail files with Filez and my Chatter is not connected; I haven't reset for over 10 minutes and counting.

I'm wondering if anyone else is having this problem or if there is a known fix. I would hate to have to give up Chatter.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    My guess here is that the background sync of mail was having a problem in VersaMail and not a chatter thing. Of course I could be wrong, as I frequently am

In any case, if it works you could verify it by re-setting up the VM accounts and setting up a schedule for it to get/send mail and see if the problem persists. Chatter and VM might be conflicting over certain system resources that aren't being handled appropriately.

Dang
  3.    #3  
    Okay, when I left Chatter on it crashed repeatedly. I'm thinking it's having a conflict with Versamail. Here are the last two error logs:
    A crash occurred on 9/29/05 at 1:20 am while running
    "Phone":

MemoryMgr.c,
    Line:2659, chunk over-locked

and

A crash occurred on 9/29/05 at 6:46 am while running
    "Applications":

MemoryMgr.c,
    Line:2659, Chunk over-locked

I then turned off Chatter. I haven't noticed a reset since I'm at work, but then again it's on vibrate. Still, I have it out for extended periods and it's not resetting.

HELP please. How do I get rid of Versamail?
    I have this being discussed in another thread (http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d=1#post815221) and I'm not sure where Mark or anyone would respond so I'm posting here also.

Thanks
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Retired Treo 650
    Global Posts
    435 Global Posts
    My experience with "Chunk over-locked" was that nothing got rid of it short of a replacement Treo. Took over a month of dealing with Sprint to get them to replace it.

Just curious: is your phone "Hardware:A" (Phone / Options / Phone Info)? My original was A, the replacement which has had no such resets is B. I can't say this means anything since the sample size is only 1 so far ...
  5.    #5  
    Yes, it's hardware A
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Retired Treo 650
    Umm, Chunk Over Lock does not mean to replace the hardware. It's a software issue that many apps will overcome, but a simple soft reset (push reset pin next to battery) solves.

Saying it must replace the treo is like throwing away your PC when an app behaves badly....
    Global Posts
    435 Global Posts
    Believe what you want, dang. My experience was that soft reset DID NOT fix the problem. Hard reset DID NOT fix the problem. Running with only the Palm software didn't fix the problem, though it occurred far less frequently, I suspect because the unit was hardly ever doing anything. With the new hardware, I am running ChatterEmail and VeriChat - a combination which just about guaranteed a reset within 10 minutes with the old hardware - without any of those annoying resets.
    lordbah,

It's not what I believe, it's the cold hard facts. If in fact you had a hardware issue, it was NOT related to chunk-overlock's it was a hardware problem - period. The definition of a chunk overlock is:

When a handle is locked, the OS increments a lock count for that handle. You can lock a handle up to 14 times before you receive a "chunk overlocked" error. Each lock you perform on a handle, you must also unlock. If you unlock a handle more times than the lock count, you will receive a "chunk underlocked" error.

And if you really want to find out about the memory so you do understand it read this article:

http://www.codeproject.com/ce/palm_memorymanagment.asp
    Global Posts
    435 Global Posts
    *sigh* Yes, I've read that article, as well as others, in a fruitless attempt to find diagnostic software to test the memory of the Treo. Consider: if the memory is bad then on occasion the lock:count and lockwner values read in for a chunk will be incorrect, and could be reported as chunk over-locked or chunk under-locked, perhaps against the wrong application.

Does seeing a single "chunk over-locked" error mean you have bad hardware? Most likely not.

Does seeing lots of "chunk over-locked" errors, always from the same application, which was actually being used, mean you have bad hardware? It might, but I'd still say the odds are more likely the problem is in the software.

Does seeing lots of "chunk over-locked" errors, attributed to different applications, some of which haven't even been used, even after doing soft resets and hard resets, even while only having the Palm-supplied software installed, mean you have bad hardware? In my opinion that is now the most likely answer, followed by buggy OS. If you replace the hardware, and the errors totally vanish, when using the same OS and same software under the same conditions, does that mean you used to have bad hardware? Yes.

I feel certain that I had bad hardware which caused the "chunk over-locked" errors.

I still wish I'd found diagnostic software to either pinpoint a problem with the memory or prove it was working fine. It would have vastly shortened the time it took for me to deal with Sprint, and it would have short-circuited this conversation.
    I understand... and if that is what you meant they perhaps you should have prefaced your comments with that understanding:

Quote Originally Posted by lordbah
    My experience with "Chunk over-locked" was that nothing got rid of it short of a replacement Treo. Took over a month of dealing with Sprint to get them to replace it.

Just curious: is your phone "Hardware:A" (Phone / Options / Phone Info)? My original was A, the replacement which has had no such resets is B. I can't say this means anything since the sample size is only 1 so far ...
    I wonder whether a zero-out reset would have helped; I know a few people whose problems all went away after this and a manual reload of apps...

Marc
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter
    I wonder whether a zero-out reset would have helped; I know a few people whose problems all went away after this and a manual reload of apps...

Marc
    Is a zero-out reset the same as a hard reset? If so, I still had the same resets after manually installing apps new.
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Retired Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    Is a zero-out reset the same as a hard reset? If so, I still had the same resets after manually installing apps new.
    Nope...

Go here and scroll down about 3/4 of the page for instructions on performing a zero out reset.

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,kb=PalmSupportKB,CASE=obj(887),ts=Palm_External2001

Loading and deleting apps can leave a lot of confilicting DB's behind.
    When i was having trouble with many resets i did a Zero Out and havent had any problems since. That was many many months ago.

Good luck, and prepare to hold the sylus in your mouth if you are doing the Zero out alone!!
    I balance the Treo on the stylus, carefully hold the hotsync, power, and rocker-up buttons and then apply a slight amount of downward pressure to initiate the reset...

Marc
  15.    #15  
    Okay,
    I got my new Treo in the mail this weekend. Reinstalled my apps, downloaded the newest version of Chatter and I'm up and running again! The newest version has some really nice additions. I think I'm going to try to run a couple of email accounts off it now that you have the new email notification on the bottom of the active account.

Is there a place you could direct me to read up on configuring my .Mac account with Fastmail? I can receive mail, but I can't send it.

Thanks again for the input!
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Retired Treo 650