Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I have given up on trying to have the Sprint Treo activated on Verizon. I already got another one that is a VZW one. Now, the Sprint one has been modified to where when you turn it on, it looks for a signal and locks onto the Verizon network. When dialing 611, it goes to VZW customer service. How do I now change it back to Sprint so I can sell it as a Sprint Treo? Go to a store? I am not a Sprint customer. What can I do?

Thanks for any help.
    mabey do the sprint updater 1.12

Do ya think, anyone

ask shadowmite
    Is it insured? You could always run over it with your car and get a new one.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tem
    mabey do the sprint updater 1.12

Do ya think, anyone

ask shadowmite
    What is the Sprint updater 1.12? Does that put the firmware on it? I am a GSM user, so this stuff is all new to me.
    You said it was a sprint phone and you gave up and bought a verizon phone so what do you mean you are a gsm user?

Yes the Sprint ROM update 1.12 does include the updated PRL 10029.
    But again you should ask shadowmite if the updater 1.12 would do the trick.
  6.    #6  
    You said it was a sprint phone and you gave up and bought a verizon phone so what do you mean you are a gsm user?

But again you should ask shadowmite if the updater 1.12 would do the trick.
    Sorry for the confusion. I initally bought the Sprint Treo for my girlfriend who is on Verizon and I thought this was not going to be such a hassle. Since I was unable to activate it with them, I bought her a Verizon one but I am on Cingular so that's why I said I am on GSM.

I am already in contact with Shadowmite. Thanks so much. Do I have to spend even more money on serial cables and software, etc? This sucks.

One more thing, someone in Canada is interested in it. Do you think Canadian CDMA providers would activate it?
    I'm not sure. Mabe hofo_mofo could point in the right direction on that one, he's up that way.
  8.    #8  
    Ok, I contacted hofo_mofo, let's see what happens there. I suppose I could just call the Canadians myself tomorrow. Bell I think is one. Anyway, I got the Verizon Treo 650 in today and it's awesome. She's totally happy.

As for the Sprint one, what does a ROM update 1.12 mean? How do you put that into the phone? I guess through the serial cable?

Thanks again.
    Sprint ROM update 1.12 is the new ROM for the sprint Treo 650 found on the palm one support web site. If you google "sprint palmone ROM 1.12" it should give the page. Click the search result that indicates a palmone URL. The directions are on that page. I can find the link for you when I get home Monday if you need me to.
  10.    #10  
    Sprint ROM update 1.12 is the new ROM for the sprint Treo 650 found on the palm one support web site. If you google "sprint palmone ROM 1.12" it should give the page. Click the search result that indicates a palmone URL. The directions are on that page. I can find the link for you when I get home Monday if you need me to.
    Hi Tem,

Yea, I found the URL but I don't have the sync cable. Actually, someone in a different forum suggested it might still have Sprint firmware on it and that I only needed to have a PRL update done in a Sprint store.

Alright, so I went to a Sprint store (corporate store) to have it flashed/PRL'ed and the guy was actually really nice and took it in the back to do it. He didn't even try to charge me anything for it. Unfortunately, he came back out saying that "these smartphones have to be activated on a Sprint account first". I thanked him for the effort but it didn't work.

So what's next? This is so frustrating. Any other ideas?
    If shadowmite said the updater would do the trick you could buy a 20.00 sync cable and download the free 1.12 update.

Or some one could mail you one of shadowmites ROMs then you would put it on a MMC card and run it from there without a sync cable.
  12.    #12  
    If shadowmite said the updater would do the trick you could buy a 20.00 sync cable and download the free 1.12 update.

Or some one could mail you one of shadowmites ROMs then you would put it on a MMC card and run it from there without a sync cable.
    Well, my friend in KS let me use her account and when the rep, and later also the tech rep, was about to activate it, the programming failed. This way, I got the MSL for my Sprint Treo 650 so I have that. I just got an AMAZING deal on a Cingular Treo 650 which came with everything so now I also have the software CD and a sync cable. I went back to a Sprint store that does flashing or whatever but the tech guy there printed something out from his internal site, called Wizard I believe. Basically it says to download a patch from the Palm website and to hotsync it with the software. The patch has to do with roaming issues (as it always goes to Verizon towers and never picks up a Sprint signal.) I wonder if this will work.

Again, the ESN, both the DEC and the HEX were verified and came back totally fine by Sprint and now, I also have the MSL. It's just that they weren't able to activate it.

Whew...So now I have THREE Treo 650's. lol...The Sprint one is the only problematic one. I think I am soooo close...Should I use this 1.12 updater?
    Ya, if shadowmite says it will work.
    If you have the MSL, you have to make sure it's entered in the phone correctly. And that's what you need the serial cable for. Did the Sprint tech actually set it in the phone, or just give you the number?

Once the MSL is set properly in the phone application, then yes, you should just be able to run the 1.12 Sprint ROM Update file that you can get from the PalmOne website.

Actually, you can run the 1.12 ROM file without editting the MSL first, you just need the proper MSL number in the phone before Sprint can do anything with it. ALL Verizon MSLs are set to 000000, but Sprint uses unique MSLs.
    Correct CrazyC, the MSL code is REQUIRED for OTA transfers to the phone (such as PRL updates and programming, vision, etc). If your phone's MSL does not match what their database says it SHOULD be, it will fail.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyC
    If you have the MSL, you have to make sure it's entered in the phone correctly. And that's what you need the serial cable for. Did the Sprint tech actually set it in the phone, or just give you the number?

Once the MSL is set properly in the phone application, then yes, you should just be able to run the 1.12 Sprint ROM Update file that you can get from the PalmOne website.

Actually, you can run the 1.12 ROM file without editting the MSL first, you just need the proper MSL number in the phone before Sprint can do anything with it. ALL Verizon MSLs are set to 000000, but Sprint uses unique MSLs.
    The tech gave me the number when he was trying to activate it on my friend's Sprint account. And I did run the 1.12 ROM update and it was successful. However, the problem remains. It still cannot be activated. At no point during the update process was I prompted for the MSL. So I suppose I need this serial cable. And what else, some software? Is there a way I can manually enter the MSL into the phone? The Sprint tech I just spoke with after I did the 1.12 update said, the phone needs to lock on to a Sprint tower in order for the OTA activation to work. Hmmm...
    Go to Shadowmite.com and follow the instructions for converting the Sprint phone to Verizon, except that you will be putting the original MSL code back in place of the 000000 that is currently there for Verizon.

You will need a serial cable (instructions for making one are on that site as well) and you will need the software listed in the instructions.

Sorry man, if you had converted the phone yourself, you'd be all set, but being that someone else did it before you bought it, you'll have to go through all these steps to put it back.
    I have offered to convert it back for him if he ships it to me and pays for return shipping... I am more than happy to offer this service, it only takes me 5 minutes with the phone...
  19.    #19  
    I guess I'll throw some more money at this whole thing. Does anyone think I can use the serial cable for other hacks maybe? Can I permanently destroy the Treo if I mess up? I am kind of excited to do this myself but I am considering your kind offer to do this for me if I ship it to you. Ah, what to do...
    Umm, I pm'd you, but let me add here that:

Yes, if you REALLY mess up, you could destroy the phone, but that is very hard to do via the serial cable and I believe you'll be fine unless you start tinkering with settings that you don't understand.

As for using it for other hacks, not really. With it you can always pull the PRL off the phone, or put a PRL on the phone, but that's about it along with other CDMA modem parameter changes.

Let me know!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast