1.    #1  
    Here is the problem. I have 2 totally different businesses that use the same cell number for contact. Is there a way to have two phone lines so when someone calls, the phone will ring differently based on which number they called?
    seems odd to me that someone would have two businesses and this even be an issue? I mean if you can not afford two lines how are you affording to operate two businesses? furthermore if there is one number for both businesses how would differentiating with which number they dialed make any difference (since you say you only have one number)? are you for real?
    I don't think there is any app to do what you want.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Quote Originally Posted by DVD Guy
    Here is the problem. I have 2 totally different businesses that use the same cell number for contact. Is there a way to have two phone lines so when someone calls, the phone will ring differently based on which number they called?

A simpler solution might be to have separate ringers for the two businesses so that when they call, you can tell the difference...

Anyway, there are dual SIM card holders out there which can let you put two SIM chips on one card. However, you can only use one SIM at a time. You CANNOT use both at the same time...

Finally, the best solution for you is probably to use a separate unified messaging service of which there are many options like Ureach.com. That way you can have separate virtual numbers which can be forwarded to you phone. Thus you can setup different virtual numbers for your businesses and then have the numbers automatically forwarded (or not) to your Treo. You can then setup the Treo to different ringers depending on the numbers...

Hope that helps...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    A simpler solution might be to have separate ringers for the two businesses so that when they call, you can tell the difference...
    +1 on that suggestion.

Assign ringtones to your contacts based on which business you associate them with. That's pretty much what you are after without carrying 2 phones around.

Cheers,
    ChickenHawk
    Treo 755p / Sprint
  6.    #6  
    The problem is I do not always have the same people calling me since one business is sales and one is service. Usually it is a once or twice call.
    The problem is I do not always have the same people calling me since one business is sales and one is service. Usually it is a once or twice call.
    Well, since there doesn't seem to be an application to do this and the ringer suggestion won't work, how about just answering your phone with your name? That way the caller will just start talking to you and won't realize you're running two businesses on one line.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG
    Well, since there doesn't seem to be an application to do this and the ringer suggestion won't work, how about just answering your phone with your name? That way the caller will just start talking to you and won't realize you're running two businesses on one line.
    Simply because of the business my cell number is the "customer service" line. I think it is more professional to answer it with the company name.
    Simply because of the business my cell number is the "customer service" line. I think it is more professional to answer it with the company name.

Again, a virtual number serive seems like it would work for you imo:

http://www.ureach.com/home3/u800_overview.htm

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  10.    #10  
    I will have to look into the virtual number idea. Any other good sites for this service besides ureach.com?