Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    While the whole thing is interesting, looking beyond the next couple years is quite difficult. Who 10 years ago could have imagined Linux where it is today? Forbes while having one analyst touting the rise of WM and the death of Palm OS, also just published an interesting article showing the striking similarities in MS and IBM in the late '80's and early '90's (Forbes Article) There are a lot of twists and turns yet to be played out. Clearly MS wanted in on the champion smartphone device and it makes sense for Palm to offer a WM device. Right now the 650 is selling like crazy and the 700w may very well sell like hotcakes too, possibly not seriously cannibalizing the 650 (or 700p if one comes). In that case, it would be hard for Palm to justify, as a business decision, killing the Palm OS line.

Really, I think the key is going to be Access/PalmSource's next couple moves. They don't have to hit a homerun with their first post merger offering, but it does need to at least be a double and show a clear direction for the line. I think PalmSource was on the right track moving the Palm OS into the Linux camp. Make the internals of the OS an open source mobile optimized version of Linux with an emulator on top to make certain it is backwards compatible with legacy Palm apps. From there, they pick up a huge developer base as part of the Linux community and have some interesting strategic alliance, co-branding opportuniteis.

Who knows? In the technology industry, 5 years might as well be an eternity. Regardless, it will be a fun ride.

Gargoyle
  2.    #62  
    Insertion, I want to post your "I want to believe" cobalt picture to my site this afternoon.
    Jimmie Geddes
  3.    #63  
    With your permission of course.
    Jimmie Geddes
    I would consider a linux based treo if I had access to the shell.
    Combined with sd card storage I could lots of the fun things I do in linux now.

Purely for the geek factor.
  5.    #65  
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    With your permission of course.
    Feel free, knock yourself out.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    YES !!

Sorry, I couldn't hold it in any longer. This will be my reaction on the annoucement of the Sprint Treo 700Palm w/ EV-DO.

Last edited by gtwo; 10/04/2005 at 01:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    YES !!

Sorry, I couldn't hold it in any longer. This will be my reaction on the annoucement of the Sprint Treo 700Palm w/ EV-DO.

It is the silly season but I do so love that photo.
    But you just gotta love the silly season!

(Thanks.)

Cheers, Perry.
    has anyone played with the cobalt version of palm? the only reason I ask is maybe we are looking at something that maybe is not all that it is cracked up to be. i love the palm os, dont get me wrong, but after using the new wm 5.0, it leaves my palm in the dust.
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder God
    has anyone played with the cobalt version of palm? the only reason I ask is maybe we are looking at something that maybe is not all that it is cracked up to be. ..........
    Oh it is, it is. What have you heard? What is it cracked up to be?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder God
    has anyone played with the cobalt version of palm? the only reason I ask is maybe we are looking at something that maybe is not all that it is cracked up to be. i love the palm os, dont get me wrong, but after using the new wm 5.0, it leaves my palm in the dust.
    You can try the Cobalt OS by using the emulator. It's pretty damn cool using the Palm OS on a VGA screen, thought it's on your computer

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Well, if there is going to be a 700p, I highly encourage Palm to announce it soon! All over the web you're starting to hear folks say "Now that PalmOS is dead...". Well, we know it isn't, even if there never is a 700p, but this kind of notion has a tendency to get a life of its own. People will start buying WinMob devices (other than Treos) just because they've heard from their buddies that PalmOS is at end-of-life.

Come on, Palm, kill this puppy while you still can.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    You can try the Cobalt OS by using the emulator. It's pretty damn cool using the Palm OS on a VGA screen, thought it's on your computer

Timmay
    And where would one find the emulator?

Thanks,

Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS
    ..............Come on, Palm, kill this puppy while you still can.
    Come on, Patrick S. Its over. Get over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by longterm
    And where would one find the emulator?

Thanks,

Bob
    palmsource.com
    YES !!

Peery is so optamistic...
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    But you just gotta love the silly season!

(Thanks.)

Cheers, Perry.
    This thread is making me think twice about getting a 650 right now. I feel like I should wait and take an early-adopter bullet on the 700p.

PS. Perry, your avatar photo is absolutely the awesomest!
    My only friends are:
    Shiny PowerBook G4; obsolete gaming PC; OpenBSD firewall; Sun SPARC machines at work; Vegemite
    Treo 600 -> Treo 600 "immobile mode" ->
    Quote Originally Posted by sugoikoi
    This thread is making me think twice about getting a 650 right now. I feel like I should wait and take an early-adopter bullet on the 700p.

PS. Perry, your avatar photo is absolutely the awesomest!
    Thanks . . . . . . . it's the joy of Treo ownership!

(She now has her driving permit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

My gut tells me there will be a 700p. My forecast (and I am in sales forecasting and inventory planning) that it will be on Sprint w/ EV-DO in the first qtr of 2006.

I will be right there with you taking the early adopter bullet.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 10/18/2005 at 08:42 PM.
    Thanks . . . . . . . it's the joy of Treo ownership!

(She now has her driving permit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

My gut tells me there will be a 700p. My forecast (and I am in sales forecasting and inventory planning) that it will be on Sprint w/ EV-DO in the first qtr of 2006.

I will be right there with you taking the early adopter bullet.

Cheers, Perry.
    I don't want to rain on this parade and temper my enthusiasm over the 700p(look at my avatar), but...

If it doesn't have Cobalt (make that read: no multitasking), and it doesn't have WiFi and it doesn't have a Hi-res+ screen, then EV-DO would be the only improvement over the 650.

That's nice, but unless they plug in one of the three other improvements, I'd have to seriously consider staying with the 650 and seeing how the roadmap develops. Or at least wait to see some killer EV-DO based apps.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast