Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    I still believe.

I want to believe. Funny how two weeks ago we had the same quote plastered on a mock-up of a Treo running WM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    I still believe.
    Just for you, Perry
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Insertion,

I was about to ask that someone do just that. But can you put Cobalt on it?
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    I'll believe when Palm talks about a roadmap for PalmOS. Until then, they are allowing it to die by not presenting a roadmap to shareholders.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    From...
    http://www.alwayson-network.com/comm...=12180_0_6_0_C

Anyways, Iíve been saying for quite a while now that Palm is Doomed, and this looks like the final nail in the coffin no? PalmSource got bought by Access and will most likely start to shift towards a Linux-based OS, and Palm hardware is now developing Windows devices, and Iím sure will slowly fade the PalmOS into the background. No company their size can focus on two such disparate OSes, IMHO, the support and development costs will kill them. Eventually theyíll have to choose one path or another, and it probably wonít be the Palm Linux route.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    Insertion,

I was about to ask that someone do just that. But can you put Cobalt on it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    And there is no Palm OS path to be taken or abandoned.
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    Wow, that was one of the stupidest poorly conceived piece of crap I've read in a loooong time...

How does this statement:

Oh, there was one question about the possibility of yet another Treo running on Linux, which Palm shot down. I guess thatís not great news for Access/PalmSource.
    Equate to the fact that Palm will never support future Palm Linux OS?!? That makes no sense. First of all, the question was referring to STAND ALONE Linux platform, not PL. Palm obviaously may not have any interest in pursuing something like a Trolltech Qtopia interface, but that does not preclude them from Palm Linux OS which is completely different b/c it would still allow them to leverage all legacy PalmOS apps going forward. It's amazing how these so called 'analysts' can make such bonehead statements and get away with it...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Thanks Insertion. I think they're out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Just for you, Perry
    Thank-You. It is now my wallpaper.

I believe. (chant)

If we want it, they will build it. (chant)

I believe. (chant)

This year. (chant)

I believe. (chant)

incense wafting in the air

(chant)
    Last edited by gtwo; 09/29/2005 at 09:19 PM.
    The Truth Is Out There.

I've changed my badge of faith thanks to Insertion.
    Yes Perry, there is a Santa Claus and he will leave your precious in your stocking. You just wait.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    This is reminding me of the Mac cult. Seems like Palm is heading down that path.

I used to be a Mac (and UNIX) developer back in the 80s and early 90s. Was totally into the evangelism and Windows was a joke. Win95 came about and Mac lost all hope for corporate momentum.

PalmOS had more dominance in its market than Mac but is heading into cult status. That is, a cult is a religion with no political power.

Pocket PC 2.0 is like the completely unusable Windows 2.0. PPC 2003 is like Win3.1, still not as good as competition in some respects but it's what corporations paid attention to. Windows Mobile 5 is now at the point of Win95. It sets the direction of market dominance. Windows Mobile 2008 will have better integration and networking features. Windows Mobile NT will be a personal web server in your pocket. To be continued...

Mac continued as a cult because Apple hung in there and they are bright, creative people. Palm gave up and sold off its OS.
    Pretty close xenophonite. Having had a few different PPC devices (Everex - man, that was DOS 0.9; Toshiba; Jornada; HP 2215; Axim x50v) I'd say WM5 is getting close to Win98se. In fact, the PPC 2003se on the Axim was pretty stable and usable. And the screen was incredible. I just couldn't live without a converged device, having been spoiled by the Treo 300 and then 600, and used it with my old Moto v551 until Cingular finally got the Treo 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Pretty close xenophonite. Having had a few different PPC devices (Everex - man, that was DOS 0.9; Toshiba; Jornada; HP 2215; Axim x50v) I'd say WM5 is getting close to Win98se. In fact, the PPC 2003se on the Axim was pretty stable and usable. And the screen was incredible. I just couldn't live without a converged device, having been spoiled by the Treo 300 and then 600, and used it with my old Moto v551 until Cingular finally got the Treo 650.
    Everex? The old Palm_size PC days. That may predate my Nino 312.

Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Everex? The old Palm_size PC days. That may predate my Nino 312.
    Yes, the Everex was the first Palm-size WinCE device (following on the heels of the Compaq clamshells - oops, I swore I'd never admit I ever owned one of those ). The Everex was mono only, very poor backlight, and basically worthless even compared to the USR PalmPilot I replaced it with (the PalmPilot was used, and had the Moto 1mb pager added to it). And to think, now I whine and moan about a 32mb, 320x320 stunning screen, 2gb SD card cellular phone with EDGE at 168k download speed (and smaller than the Everex to boot). Man, I must be fruit loops.

I just found an old "specs" page for the Everex, and I'm crazier than even I thought possible (to thinke we ever tried to use an 8mb PPC):

http://www.pocketpccity.com/hardware...-ppc-spec.html
    Last edited by dstrauss; 09/30/2005 at 09:28 AM.
    All those articles in the tech press that people are posting links to are just speculation, and maybe no more informed than the speculation we engage in here. Posting these links as if they "prove" one argument or another is silly.

I have no doubt there will be another PalmOS Treo. I don't think Palm execs would lie about it, and Palm is going to hedge its bets. As well as not wanting to throw away the R&D costs they've likely already invested in the next phone.

But, as time goes on, MS is going to bring incredible pressure on Palm to drop the Palm OS. Just as MS does with it's PC OEMs, Palm is going to get the message that if they want close access to the OS internals, to pre-alpha development information, and to the WM5 development team, they'd better toe the line. To be an MS insider, and get "most favored partner status," you play the game MS's way or you quickly find yourself on the outside.

In the PC world, only the biggest players (IBM, Dell, etc.) make any effort to offer other OSs on their boxes, and they don't advertise the fact very heavily. MS needs Dell as much as Dell needs MS (and a lot more than they need Palm), but if Dell started to really push alternative OSs you'd better believe MS would tighten the screws.

It's only a matter of time before the P-OS is a fond memory. On treos, at least.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Interesting avatar meyerweb. Is that really you driving the trailing bike?

Again, you're probably more right than most of us want to believe. I can't see M$oft letting Palm continue to innovate a rival OS on basically the same device. Just look at the bodies littered behind the M$oft juggernaut. I just hope we get one more steroid induced Palm OS Treo before they give up the ghost.
    YES, just one more with EV-DO, please?

I still believe. You cannot throw me in the trash bin after 10 years without so much as a goodbye.
    Last edited by gtwo; 09/30/2005 at 10:12 AM.
Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast