Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182324252627282930 LastLast
Results 541 to 560 of 582
  1. ink883's Avatar
    Posts
    872 Posts
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    #541  
    I am hoping for Cobolt on the 700p and Garnet on the new lower end treos (lowrider). If palm sticks with Garnet for the high end treo, it would seem there wouldn't be much to the upgrade (i.e. BT 1.2, 1.3MP camera, EVDO, perhaps a little more memory). If it they were going to do such a simple upgrade then shouldn't they have had the Treo done by last November?

    The extra time for this launch seems to justify the idea that there will be a new OS.
  2. #542  
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    gfunk, based on what you say I don't see app incompatibility as being a reason for Palm to skip Cobalt unless the reality is that a high percentage of well-behaved apps didn't run well under Cobalt.

    I guess we'll have to wait and see. I personally am not among the majority in thinking that a Linux kernel future is necessary. If Access was to backpedal and get Cobalt running well and onto some real devices, I could be perfectly happy.
    I don't think he said it was a app incompatibility thing as much as a driver thing and the costs of those drivers.

    As I would die for a Cobalt OS, what scares me is Palm's baby steps attitude, which Garnet would be a baby step and Cobalt more of a leap.


    Did anybody else read the part where they talked about selling the Cobalt OS as an upgrade, maybe that is the upgrade coming for the 650 and at the same time release a 700P with Cobalt. The incentive to buy the 700P then would be for the EVDO, 1.3 MP etc.

    What can I say the wheels are turning.
    Last edited by vikingjunior; 01/23/2006 at 10:45 AM.
  3. #543  
    It was both a driver thing and a compatability thing. Think of it in terms of supporting OS9 and OS10 on the Mac side. While 10 could work with 9 items thru emulation, it honestly was a developer pain to support both. If Palm/anyone could pull it off that programs (drivers are another story) would work easily under Cobalt, it would be a dual win, one for current Garnet owners and second for PalmOnLinux owners who wont have as much a pain with many programs to move.

    Nice to specualte aint it
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

    Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  4. #544  
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    gfunk, based on what you say I don't see app incompatibility as being a reason for Palm to skip Cobalt unless the reality is that a high percentage of well-behaved apps didn't run well under Cobalt.

    I guess we'll have to wait and see. I personally am not among the majority in thinking that a Linux kernel future is necessary. If Access was to backpedal and get Cobalt running well and onto some real devices, I could be perfectly happy.
    Application compatibility does not seem to have ever been a consideration for Palm. The road from my Palm Vx to my 650 is littered with orphan applications, not to mention those that had to be re-written.
  5. #545  
    App compatability is a developer issue, and also a palmSOurce one. If PalmSource was like tapwave in they way they approved apps, you wouldnt have had that issue going from a Vx to a 650. Of course, that would have meant fewer apps being developed as gatekeepers tend to do that to folks.

    If the app was written completly to specs, it should work, some wont even then and will have to be adjusted. Thats just a fact of the upgrading life.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

    Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  6. #546  
    There is NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO COOOOOOOOBALT!
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
  7. #547  
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM
    App compatability is a developer issue, and also a palmSOurce one. If PalmSource was like tapwave in they way they approved apps, you wouldnt have had that issue going from a Vx to a 650. Of course, that would have meant fewer apps being developed as gatekeepers tend to do that to folks.

    If the app was written completly to specs, it should work, some wont even then and will have to be adjusted. Thats just a fact of the upgrading life.
    Remember when MS did backward compatibility testing and gave one a list of compatible programs?
  8. #548  
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    The incentive to buy the 700P then would be for the EVDO, 1.3 MP etc.
    And BB Connect - if it ever comes out...
  9. #549  
    It appears BB is going to have to "settle" for more than $475 million. I wonder what that wiill do to their customer's monthly fee schedule?
  10. #550  
    How about Cobalt and full GPS, will they play nice together. I think GPS with Sprint in particular is a reality, especially if there current releases are any gauge.
  11. #551  
    I think the most likely senario is NOT that the 700p will have Cobalt, but that they are doing yet another FrankenGarnet version that perhaps brings in the EVDO stack from Colbalt.

    At this point it would not really make sense for them to release a whole new OS, if they are really looking for Linux/POS to take over in a year or two. Given their product cycle, that would mean a new OS with new problems and issues on just one phone, the 700p only to have a new OS for the next device.

    Them rewritting Garnett to work with EVDO, however, does make sense. Otherwise, there will be no reason for most people to move from the 650 to the 700, and no reason for Sprint to carry both phones. Indeed, it would make very little sense for Palm to make both a 650 and 700p if 700p didnt have significant enhancements. Of course, Palm could just stick with the 650 or give us a non-EVDO 700p and drop the 650 altogether, but that would probably not make Sprint happy and they have put a lot of money and effort into the Treo line. They will want a hot new phone like Verizon got.

    Ah well, see soon i hope
  12. #552  
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    How about Cobalt and full GPS, will they play nice together. I think GPS with Sprint in particular is a reality, especially if there current releases are any gauge.
    Well, perhaps a locator service of some kind but not a global positioning satellite system.
  13. #553  
    Quote Originally Posted by illustreous
    And BB Connect - if it ever comes out...
    I would imagine that any update to the 650 with BB Connect is not going to happen until the RIM issue is resolved. It owuld be a customer service nightmare if BB Connect was offered and then the BES service was shut down. the wireless guys would have a stampede of customers switching back their data plans to non RIM versions.
  14. #554  
    Now they're talking about it having a plasma screen. What the heck?!?
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
  15. #555  
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    I think the most likely senario is NOT that the 700p will have Cobalt, but that they are doing yet another FrankenGarnet version that perhaps brings in the EVDO stack from Colbalt.

    At this point it would not really make sense for them to release a whole new OS, if they are really looking for Linux/POS to take over in a year or two. Given their product cycle, that would mean a new OS with new problems and issues on just one phone, the 700p only to have a new OS for the next device.

    Them rewritting Garnett to work with EVDO, however, does make sense. Otherwise, there will be no reason for most people to move from the 650 to the 700, and no reason for Sprint to carry both phones. Indeed, it would make very little sense for Palm to make both a 650 and 700p if 700p didnt have significant enhancements. Of course, Palm could just stick with the 650 or give us a non-EVDO 700p and drop the 650 altogether, but that would probably not make Sprint happy and they have put a lot of money and effort into the Treo line. They will want a hot new phone like Verizon got.

    Ah well, see soon i hope
    if you are correct, we will definetly not see a new palm based treo this year. the results for palm with windows has been pretty good, and i think they will want to focus in on that. it took palm a long time just to get the 650 out, and that was with old software!!! if they want to get a new 700 and new os from palm, just imagine the time they need to test that unit. the likely hood of us seeing a new 700p is going to be a while. i am reading all over the place that the design of the treo is top notch! but, that is a harware point of view. many lusted after 700w, including myself, becasue of the flexablitly of windows. other companies just seem to work at a faster pace than palm os. this sucks for us palm os lovers.
    Naveen

    Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

    Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
  16. #556  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C
    Now they're talking about it having a plasma screen. What the heck?!?
    i doubt that. that would really drive up the cost for them and us. also, has anyone else starting using plasma on cell phones?
    Naveen

    Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

    Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
  17. #557  
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder God
    if you are correct, we will definetly not see a new palm based treo this year. the results for palm with windows has been pretty good, and i think they will want to focus in on that. it took palm a long time just to get the 650 out, and that was with old software!!! if they want to get a new 700 and new os from palm, just imagine the time they need to test that unit. the likely hood of us seeing a new 700p is going to be a while. i am reading all over the place that the design of the treo is top notch! but, that is a harware point of view. many lusted after 700w, including myself, becasue of the flexablitly of windows. other companies just seem to work at a faster pace than palm os. this sucks for us palm os lovers.

    Palm doesn't have the luxury of time like they once did, there is way to much competition out there for that. Samsung, Motorola, Nokia and others are breathing down Palm's neck and more then willing to accommodate Palm customers.

    I believe time is the last thing they have, listen Palm customers will stay loyal for only so long, we have no contract with Palm, we love are Treo's but love can go in other directions also.

    Palm knows dam well were itching for EVDO and Sprint is itching to sell it to us. Palm is running out of time..................Tick Tock, Tick Tock..................
  18. #558  
    Did PalmSource not say a few months ago that there will be a Cobalt smartphone in 06? I have to believe that, coupled with Motorola's reported bid for PalmSource, provides enough evidence of an upcoming Moto Cobalt phone. And we know LG is a licensee. So if Palm can't get it done, there will be others to take their place on both the Palm and WM fronts.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
  19. #559  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C
    Now they're talking about it having a plasma screen. What the heck?!?
    Yes. And a nuclear power supply.
  20. #560  
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    Palm doesn't have the luxury of time like they once did, there is way to much competition out there for that. Samsung, Motorola, Nokia and others are breathing down Palm's neck and more then willing to accommodate Palm customers.

    I believe time is the last thing they have, listen Palm customers will stay loyal for only so long, we have no contract with Palm, we love are Treo's but love can go in other directions also.

    Palm knows dam well were itching for EVDO and Sprint is itching to sell it to us. Palm is running out of time..................Tick Tock, Tick Tock..................
    agreed. back in the day when there was only palm in the market i did care or wonder if there was anything better out there. in todays world palm should have more products in the pipeline. i went from having my black and green screen palm to my 650 and in all honesty the os is almost the same. yeah it can do a little more but it almost 70 percent the same thing. how long can palm sit on the laurels of the 650??? is it time to join the windows revolution?
    Naveen

    Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

    Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.

Posting Permissions