Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 131819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
    Just a fly in the ointment so to speak
    Next gen 3G tech is UTMS right? EVDO isnt next gen to a device that has been on the plans for at least 2 years now then right? So to expect a Sprint 700p to have one would be kinda on point...right?
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    According to this, Palm OS 5 supports ....3G.....If it happens it could be Cobalt or Garnet. Where the OS can't support 3g rumors came from I don't know.

http://www.palmsource.com/palmos/intro_os5.html

With Palm OS 5, PalmSource ushers in the next generation of mobile computing—an era that will see the introduction of Palm Powered products and applications of astonishing power, and the adoption of mobile computing on a scale that few people imagined possible just a few years ago.

Palm OS 5 provides the foundation for this new era by offering the processing power required to take on the most demanding mobile computing tasks, together with the advanced multimedia, wireless connectivity, and security that enterprises require. Best of all, Palm OS 5 makes these advances without compromising the ease of use, flexibility and openness that has made Palm Powered products the clear market leaders.

Despite its major advances, Palm OS 5 has been designed to run most existing Palm OS applications. Which means that our millions of users can discover a whole new Palm Powered world, without leaving behind the applications they already know and love.

And since Palm OS 5 systems can work and exchange information with earlier versions of the Palm OS, customers will be free to choose when and how they want to upgrade. Earlier Palm OS handhelds continue to be sold and serve the needs of many users. But for users with advanced needs, Palm OS 5 provides a smooth path into the future of mobile computing.

Palm OS 5 Advantages:

Greater Processing Power: With built-in support for ARM-compliant processors, Palm OS 5 accelerates even the most demanding software programs, including titles that involve advanced graphics and large database management. Most existing Palm applications will benefit too, with performance improvements of up to 300%.

Advanced Multimedia Features: With support for 320x320 pixel screens (four times the number of pixels of most current generation products), handhelds based on Palm OS 5 take the rapidly growing world of portable content to a whole new level. In addition to these video enhancements, audio capabilities now support the recording and playback of 16-bit audio files—allowing licensees and developers to deliver today the multimedia devices and applications of tomorrow.

Extended Wireless Connectivity: Now businesses and developers can now choose the wireless technology that best suits their needs. Palm OS 5 now offers support for 802.11b solutions at the system level. With additional support for Bluetooth, GSM, CDMA, and 2.5G/3G networks, Palm OS 5 offers a consistent programming interface for wireless connectivity and an increase in processing power that significantly improves connections speeds. Learn more about Palm Powered wireless solutions and partners.

Increased Security: Enterprise customers and consumers all place a vital importance on the security of their information. To meet these requirements, Palm OS 5 includes a suite of best-in-class security services, which can be integrated into applications and corporate security policies when and how developers and enterprises need. Developed in cooperation with RSA, the services include 128-bit data encryption based on the RC4 algorithm and Secure Socket Layer (SSL) support for Internet email, Web browsing, and commercial transactions. Learn more about Palm OS 5 security.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM
    Just a fly in the ointment so to speak
    Next gen 3G tech is UTMS right? EVDO isnt next gen to a device that has been on the plans for at least 2 years now then right? So to expect a Sprint 700p to have one would be kinda on point...right?

3G tech consists of W-CDMA(UMTS, utilized by GSM networks, FOMA, the first 3G tech, developed by NTT-DoCoMo of Japan), CDMA2000 1xEV(EV-DO, EV-DV), and TD-SCDMA, being developed by China.
    Garnet supports 3G like your body supports swimming across the English Channel. Sure its possible, other people have done it, but you are not ready, and unless you do a lot of work, will probably never be.

Surur
    Sprint's Vision network has been referred to as 3G. So has GPRS on the GSM network. I've always considered them to be more like 2.5G, with Ev-DO and UMTS being true 3G, but the service providers have always referred to them as 3G.

So Jimmie...can you provide a little more info about the reliability of your sources?
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    How the hell are they going to release a Palm OS without 3g support, that's like releasing Playstation 2 when X box 360 is already on the market.

So Sprint is going to drop a 3g 700w then turn around and drop a 700p without 3g support

I am not that loyal to a Palm OS ...I want EVDO am tired of waiting for pages to load.

Linux when???? 2007
    Maybe it's like releasing tons of XBOX 360 games and only manufacturing a couple dozen consoles! Could never happen, right?
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    You know. Here we are 3+ odd months down the road from the 700W first info and we have come full circle and are in the same spot; we haven't got a clue about the 700P.

All I know for sure is that Shadowmite had one in his hands and said small steps; radio and memory upgrades.

I STILL BELIEVE !!

700P
    EV-DO

Cheers, Perry
    Last edited by gtwo; 01/17/2006 at 08:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C
    Maybe it's like releasing tons of XBOX 360 games and only manufacturing a couple dozen consoles! Could never happen, right?
    LOL......You know what really sucks about all this fun and games. The uncertainity of Palm's OS and the inability to continue to buy Palm OS software with confidence. There is so many apps I want to buy but am not buying nothing till I know it will follow me into the near future.

We knew in Sept. that the 700w was a reality, how are we suppose to believe this 700p is going to drop in 2 months. There is NO concrete evidence just he say, she say.

I understand the strategy part of it from a business sense for palm but after hearing Ed Colligan at CES totally side step talking about anything Treo related except this stupid windows. What the hell is the trade show for anyway isn't it to show off upcoming stuff.

This is all getting stupid anyway, Palm must realize we have are doubts about the Palm OS future. So what do they do, clam up like the late John Gotti.
    Heck, the Sprint 650 specs were leaked, what, 6 months before the official release?

Man, they have gotten good!

Were they that miffed about the 650 leak, or are they trying that hard to give Mr. Gates and Verizon their window of opportunity?
    If the 700p does actually appear in the next couple months, and Sprint gets it, how long would be typical for sprint to have it exclusively? another 3-6 months? Sucks for those of us with Alltel as the only good option in the area.

I love all of the excitement about it, and had gotten quite excited about it as well. However, I am at this point more of the opinion that this is so much what people (especially on this forum) want, that they believe it MUST be true even without a shred of real evidence. My "source" (hey everyone's got one, mine is only my own common sense) tells me that there will likely be a 700p but not likely available early in the year but likely later.

I hope i'm wrong, mostly for Perry's sake, but i'm losing a little hope and will likely jump into the 650 as my phone is in the process of dying this week. Maybe i'm so sceptical because I just don't want to be kicking myself in 6 weeks if i get one this week
    According to this, Palm OS 5 supports ....3G.....If it happens it could be Cobalt or Garnet. Where the OS can't support 3g rumors came from I don't know.

http://www.palmsource.com/palmos/intro_os5.html

Let's face it. We need a multi-tasking operating system. WM is multi-tasking and Palm 5 is not.
    Quote Originally Posted by akoryj
    If the 700p does actually appear in the next couple months, and Sprint gets it, how long would be typical for sprint to have it exclusively? another 3-6 months? Sucks for those of us with Alltel as the only good option in the area.

I love all of the excitement about it, and had gotten quite excited about it as well. However, I am at this point more of the opinion that this is so much what people (especially on this forum) want, that they believe it MUST be true even without a shred of real evidence. My "source" (hey everyone's got one, mine is only my own common sense) tells me that there will likely be a 700p but not likely available early in the year but likely later.

I hope i'm wrong, mostly for Perry's sake, but i'm losing a little hope and will likely jump into the 650 as my phone is in the process of dying this week. Maybe i'm so sceptical because I just don't want to be kicking myself in 6 weeks if i get one this week
    Let's face it. Silly Season shows no signs of ending. It no longer requires leaks from Palm to keep it alive. Announcements from Palm can no longer end it. It has taken on a life of its own.

Extended Wireless Connectivity: Now businesses and developers can now choose the wireless technology that best suits their needs. Palm OS 5 now offers support for 802.11b solutions at the system level. With additional support for Bluetooth, GSM, CDMA, and 2.5G/3G networks, Palm OS 5 offers a consistent programming interface for wireless connectivity and an increase in processing power that significantly improves connections speeds. Learn more about Palm Powered wireless solutions and partners.

Cobalt didn't have UMTS telephony afiak when it first came out. Maybe Palm will backport them to Frankengarnet, who knows...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Cobalt didn't have UMTS telephony afiak when it first came out. Maybe Palm will backport them to Frankengarnet, who knows...
    When Cobalt first came out?!?!??!?!?!?! What PDA was that on???????? Have you been doing crack with those Miami Hurricanes players again?
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    I believe he means released to manufacturers (December 2004), not in hardware.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    Let's face it. Silly Season shows no signs of ending. It no longer requires leaks from Palm to keep it alive. Announcements from Palm can no longer end it. It has taken on a life of its own.

Sort of like the 2005 Hurricane season. . . . . long and harsh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    OMG - Perry, don't lose faith. Although I'm a constant naysayer, I hate to see our one optimist take a powder; even about Silly Season.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.

The YES! I will exclaim will be heard nationwide, at least!

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    From what I heard the Treo 700p will definitely have EV-DO, and be released by Sprint before March.
    There he goes again! Jimmie, is this something new you heard, or the same rumour you've been talking about for months?