Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 121718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
    How the hell are they going to release a Palm OS without 3g support, that's like releasing Playstation 2 when X box 360 is already on the market.

So Sprint is going to drop a 3g 700w then turn around and drop a 700p without 3g support

I am not that loyal to a Palm OS ...I want EVDO am tired of waiting for pages to load.

Linux when???? 2007
    Nedham Conference Quote provided by Surur:

Palm also plan to release PalmOS Treo smartphone this year to assure the community that they not in anyway leaving the loyal Palm OS users around the world, but the new smartphone will not support 3G technologies, which is not supported currently 'til Access release the new Linux version of the OS.
    (The linked article is dated January 12, 2006)

From Perry:
    Does "3G" refer to just the GSM side of things or does it include both GSM and CDMA technologies? I could read this as they couldn't implement a GSM 3G on the Palm OS quickly, but that leaves open the question of support for CDMA EV-DO side of things.

You see, I am a very stubborn optimist. (What the heck did Shadowmite have in his hand then? He called it a 700P with a radio improvement.)

REPEAT OF EARLIER QUOTE FROM ED C:
    "We'll roll out the Palm Treo 700w smartphone based on Microsoft's Windows Mobile, and we'll announce three additional new smartphones during calendar year 2006." said said Ed Colligan. During the conference call he further stated that these new models will debut with new industrial designs and at different price points. They will also implement next-generation radio technologies.

700P
    EV-DO

I BELIEVE!

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 01/14/2006 at 08:57 AM.
    Well this directly conflicts with a report from Shadowmite.

"The 700p's I have seen are 5.4.7... Sorry......

The 700p's I have seen are 5.4.7... Sorry... Looks like it's just a radio and memory upgrade to the 650. As the 650 was a minimal upgrade to the 600. Small steps.

I feel confident 1 of the other..."

One of them is wrong. Shadowmite or this reporter.

Shadowmite, can u give any assistance?
    I decided to upgrade to a 650. My 600 was suddenly showing issues. I could probably limp along with it..... BUT....

Realistically speaking, before a 700p comes out (if ever) for T-Mobile, with the bugs worked out and the prices rational, I figure it's at least a year before I'd want to upgrade to it. Maybe more, considering the extent to which so many things seem in flux.

So suddenly I'm realistic about an interim solution.
    If it doesn't have a slot for SDHC--I don't want it. Period.
    Hmm. I have theorized that if I were to make that decision (ie to buy a 650 as an interim upgrade for my ailing 600) it would immediately trigger the release of the 700p. No offense, but I support your decision, in the hopes it will precipitate the 700p for the rest of us!
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Dog Doc
    Hmm. I have theorized that if I were to make that decision (ie to buy a 650 as an interim upgrade for my ailing 600) it would immediately trigger the release of the 700p. No offense, but I support your decision, in the hopes it will precipitate the 700p for the rest of us!
    Can you take one for the team?
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    Can you take one for the team?

LOL...

Well until I can find out about the Palm OS future there will be NO more software purchases.

Palm Speak now or..........

"CC goes back into wallet."

Agreed-- no EV-DO/3G on the next Palm OS Treo = no sale IMO. What's the point? I'm fairly confident that there will be no built-in Wi-Fi, so what would the reason to upgrade? More memory? Better Bluetooth? That's a pretty pitiful reason to spend another $600.

-R
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchy9
    Agreed-- no EV-DO/3G on the next Palm OS Treo = no sale IMO. What's the point? I'm fairly confident that there will be no built-in Wi-Fi, so what would the reason to upgrade? More memory? Better Bluetooth? That's a pretty pitiful reason to spend another $600.

-R

Now, the next question would be... Is Palm that stupid??? I understand for Treo 600 users it would be a better alternative to the 650, but for anybody else an EVDO Treo compared to a No-EVDO Treo is a no brainer. I hope all this gossip is just that and Palm releases the Treo we are all waiting for even if it takes them more months to release it.

My prediction is that Sprint is going to start selling the Treo 700w around April and the Treo 700p with EVDO will be released by the end of the year through Sprint. That is the reason why there are no leaks for the 700p and Palm is very quiet about it.

Al
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    Now, the next question would be... Is Palm that stupid???
    Well, they put 32MB RAM in their flagship WM device, didn't they....

Surur
  11.    #431  
    From what I heard the Treo 700p will definitely have EV-DO, and be released by Sprint before March.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    From what I heard the Treo 700p will definitely have EV-DO, and be released by Sprint before March.
    Jimmie, if this comes true, I will give you a great big bear hug and smooch on the cheek!!

And I will party all night long. . . . !!

Cheers, Perry.
  13.    #433  
    Lol, Perry. It's happening.
    Jimmie Geddes
    I hope your "source" is reliable, I don't want to be getting all geeked up for nothing!
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    Lol, Perry. It's happening.
    Timing is everything. . . at lunch today, I gave my Sprint Store Manager my business card with instructions to call when I could come make a deposit to secure the first 700P out of his store. (My prior guy got transferred to a store in another city.)

Treosixoo: GEEKED? The man has me in tears. . . .

Gee, I am going to be busy, I also promised Insertion a dance. . . .

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 01/17/2006 at 01:53 PM.
    Don't all phones go through some period of testing by the provider before they are released? If so then it would be out somewhere and there would be atleast a pic on the web????
  17.    #437  
    Shadowmite said he saw a Treo 700p, he's reliable. The Treo 700p will be the same exact hardware as the Treo 700w, only real difference is the OS.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Handspring's relationship with Sprint is quite special. Without Sprint, Hand likely doesn't survive long enough to turn the Treo into a commerical success. So in my view, Palm now feels that they owes Sprint a big favor for having to wait on the sidelines while the Verizon introduction has been going on. On top of that debt, Palm favors the success of the Palm OS over the Windows OS. With the Palm OS, Palm has virtually a proprietary product that no one else can match. With Windows, it is just a matter of time before MSFT rolls out Palm's software innovations to the other clones and turns the smartphone market into a commodity market place.

Palm took that risk to be able to improve sales with the Enterprise and internationally with a Windows product. It took the risk because Verizon offered them top billing amount among their windows smartphones, and MSFT agreed to supplement Verizon's ad budget in a big way. I even think it took the risk because Vodaphone agreed to carry a Treo in its European lineup. But both Palm's heart and its wallet know that the Palm OS is the "briar patch". Only here is Palm safe from attacks from the natural predators that want to get a piece of Treo's smartphone market share. Palm will therefore do its absolute best to roll out the Treo 700P on its new time schedule, which I think will be late February early March. (Just enough time to allow Verizon 45 days to complete their product rollout.)

In addition to the same improvements that the 700W got, because it had to go second, the 700P , will get something extra. Here's were I am going to lose everyone and be branded as an unrealistic dreamer. Palm wants to be sure, that when the head to head comparisons take place in March, the Palm OS Treo wins resoundingly. They don't want it to be even close. Thats why I think Palm is going to roll out an improved Palm OS which may include parts or maybe even all of Cobalt. If not, I think Frankengarnett will be substantially reworked with extra features. Or maybe wifi will be added to the device to give it an advantage. Thats my strong belief. When the March reviews are in, the Palm OS will still be dancing and the Windows OS will be lying the floor. A technical knockout!
    Well if it does get released and am praying it does, they best not stick that 700w screen in there.

Keep the faith.
    Jimmy, here are your past quotes about thge 700p. In fairness you did not say December of what year...

The quotes!
    He says, "it will be more impressive than the 700w."
    I thinkg Sprint will debut this before years ends, didn't Jeff Hawkins say there would be more devices announced before "years end"?

Jeff Kirvin is a very reliable source. Surur you're just mad because you got banned from the 1src forums, right? Now you post anonymously now,lol.

Palm knows that it has a lot of loyal users. Ed Colligan made it clear at the Treo for Windows press conference (watch the webcast) that the Treo 700w is just an extension, not the end of Palm OS. He even made sure to say that last quarter Palm sold half a million Treos. Look at what a Vice President of Palm said as well:

http://www.gadgetsonthego.net/2005/...t-but-this.html

Palm is doing a Windows Mobile Treo to get into the corporate world, and the other side wants a Treo desperately. We've know for sometime how great the Palm OS is, now MS is having Palm tweak their OS to make it "the palm experience on Windows Mobile". Like I've said any good salesman always gives a customer what he wants. Microsoft wanted the palm experience, Palm will make tons of $$$ trying to give it to them. Palm has made it clear in the past 3 days that they still intend to make Palm OS Treos and handhelds.

I know what you're saying, and I am looking forward to that "revolutionary product". I am so happy with my Treo 650, that it's all cake now. I do think there is something bigger than the Treo on the horizon, but I think there will be a successor to the 650. I am thinking it will run cobalt possibly.

This is my own thought, but something keeps telling me a cobalt treo is coming soon. They have had cobalt ever since palmsource gave it to them. They had to have been doing something with it. When the first video of the windows mobile treo came out from roc a fella, he also said that there was a cobalt one. I have a feeling that cobalt isn't dead anymore, if Palm wants or maybe has been briging it back to life and tweaking it. It's a finished os, and the fact that there was supposedly a cobalt treo alongside the windows mobile one makes me think this more.

From what I've heard the Treo 700p will have a 320x320 screen, 64mb memory, EVDO, wifi/and or gps. There is a possiblity of an updated OS, but I am thinking it will remain Garnet.

They released their EV-DO plans for the same prices we are paying for vision. There will be a Treo 700p running EV-DO debuting on Sprint. Palm has proven that they can build a Treo with an EV-DO radio (700w). I'll say it again, Sprint always gets the exclusive on Palm OS Treos, they will get the exclusive on this. It will be Feb. or March.

I came across this article over at pocketpcthoughts titled ""All future Treos Running Windows Mobile?" , and posted a rant at my blog and PalmAddict.

http://gadgetsonthego.net/2005/12/a...ows-mobile.html

Is it me or does the "other side" love reporting the death of the Palm OS?I know I went on a rant on my site, but do you guys think Palm would actually do this? I don't believe this for a second, but I know treocentral members don't hold back their opinions

I got emailed by a VERY RELIABLE source on new Treos:

I can't discuss who told me that , but I know my source is a VERY VERY RELIABLE source.

Thanks Imageone, my article clearly says "Palm Treo and Symbian Treo in the works, confirmed". We all know that the Windows Mobile Treo was "in the works" for at least over a year. My intention was not to hype anything, or mislead anyone I was just relaying information I had received.

My poin!
    My point here is Jimmie Geddes has made a lot of claims and most of them are posts that point people to his website. Not sure there is or isn't a shread of truth to any of this but I have to question the huckster factor. If Palm is coming out with a Palm Treo then great but please a little less hype and a little more substance.