Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 111617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    I cant even believe we are discussing a 700P without EVDO. I think we have reached the desperation stage of info. The longer we go without info the more ludrcious we get.

COULDN'T AGREE MORE !!

REDUNANCY AND REPETIVINESS, WE HAVE BECOME! PLEASE PALM, END THIS MISERY FOR US, ANNOUNCE THE DARN LITTLE CRITTER !!

PLEASE !!
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Because they will have to write the POS EVDO stack themselves?

Surur

Surur is right in the sense that Frankengarnet does not support the 1xEvDo telephony stack as I mentioned in another thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=97095

One option would be for Palm to use Cobalt instead, but for reasons I've stated elsewhere, I don't think this would be probably at all...

However, I guess it could be possible to backport the stack from Cobalt to garnet...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    well I hope palm makes EVDO work on the 700p somehow, otherwise no reason to upgrade at all for me and, I assume, a lot of others.
    Ok, i'm back to hopeful there will be a 700p.

As for EV-DO, my work provides our phones and uses Alltel, anyone heard about it being developed for phones for Alltel (phones rather than laptops)? And I've seen no love sent Alltels way by Treo - they just got the treo 650 end of november- seems like a pretty big market area to just ignore...
    IF a GSM version does not come out soon, I am jumping ship to the New Fugitsu Siemens Treo copycat.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    link?
    Global Posts
    377 Global Posts
    More links to this device (which in fact attracts me more and more....)

- http://www.engadget.com/2006/01/12/f...30-get-details
    - http://www.brighthand.com/article/Po..._2006?site=PPC

I've stopped purchasing equipment and software for my POS Treo650 GSM. Have to see if I'm going to jump the ship first....
    Last edited by jorang; 01/13/2006 at 03:29 AM. Reason: Typo....
    JoranG
    Treo650 Unlocked GSM (Cust ROM 1.71/1.20 ENA w/ FAT32.prc) - TomTom Navigator v5 (Western Europe Maps)
    I think Palm really has missed some opportunities to show these guys up.......but I think as long as they act, they still have a chance. This is the type of competition that they need to recognize and exceed beyond their tempting offerings.
    This is what I'm talking about. It has WIFI but no EVDO support mentioned. (I'm guessing it's on GSM?) It's not the same exact market the Treo 700w is marketed at. Tradeoffs. Take your pick.
    Last edited by Bob-C; 01/13/2006 at 08:52 AM.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C
    This is what I'm talking about. It has WIFI but only 64 MB of RAM and no EVDO support mentioned. (I'm guessing it's on GSM?) It's not the same exact market the Treo 700w is marketed at. Tradeoffs. Take your pick.
    In a world where the price of memory is falling like a rock and where the 650 clearly needed 64MB, a 2006-7 device should have 128MB. (I do not expect a 700p to have more than 64MB. I too think that the knock-off is a GSM device. I would gladly sacrifice WiFi for UMTS.
    I will say this, if it does come with 128mb or even 64mb of memory that 700w is going to become old real quick..
    Last edited by vikingjunior; 01/13/2006 at 11:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    In a world where the price of memory is falling like a rock and where the 650 clearly needed 64MB, a 2006-7 device should have 128MB. (I do not expect a 700p to have more than 64MB. I too think that the knock-off is a GSM device. I would gladly sacrifice WiFi for UMTS.
    I posted another thread for my reasoning why the 700p might have 100MB ram usable...

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=104041

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    I posted another thread for my reasoning why the 700p might have 100MB ram usable...

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=104041
    Well should have done a search first and posted it here because I'm NOT leaving this thread!! Do a SEARCH next time!

And are you insane?!? We both know that Palm always cheaps out on the memory with the Treo in favor of other features. The new Palm Treo will have 64 MB. Which is what the Treo 650 SHOULD'VE HAD!! That is one of the reasons I am still on a Treo 6.00 instead of the 6.50.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Just to keep the faith alive ..............We need to revisit............

http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=8224
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    Just to keep the faith alive ..............We need to revisit............

http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=8224

or post #390 of this thread . . . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    or post #390 of this thread . . . . .

The link needs to go up at least once a day until we get something new.........keep the faith.
    I found this article in pocketpcthoughts, could it be that 700p will be running Cobalt?
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    YES !! Same for me. If a 700P has no EV-DO, it will be a joke. Yes, and I am very positive about that!

Cheers, Perry

I BELIEVE IN THE 700P AND I BELIEVE IT WILL HAVE EV-DO !!
    I see this guy essentially agrees with my interpretation of the Needham presentation.

Highlight from Andrew J. Brown, Palm, Inc. Chief Financial Officer, presentation at the Eighth Annual Needham Growth Conference in the New York Palace Hotel, New York.

Roadmap Direction:

:: New smartphones with multiple technologies for different carriers.
    :: Multiple OS and email platforms (to address different segments).
    :: New smartphones at various price points.
    :: Implement next-generation radio technology.
    :: Lower warranty costs to increase customer satisfaction.
    :: Develop Apps/OOBE/Technologies around carriers specific network services.
    :: Future Treo line with different feature, functionality, form factor and design.

PalmDubai.Net Note:

Palm, Inc partnership with Microsoft is as much important to Palm as it is to Microsoft, as you all know Palm started working with Microsoft two years ago to deliver 3G Window Mobile TreoSmartphone. With the Window Mobile Palm was able to jump back in the middle of the race to bring 3G technologies to many Palm users around the world, and mostly in the EMEA market, a market Palm is starving to bring its next generation product to it, a market where products with new technologies hit shelves the next day after announcement, and beta product is tested by entire city.

Without Window Mobile we might've waited one more year or even more for research and redevelopment for the current OS to be able to use a UMTS Palm smartphone, by that time Palm will definitely lose the EMEA market to another player like Sony Ericsson, Motorola, Siemens or even Nokia, they all currently delivering 3G smartphones, and some how they even managed to cut 3G smartphones price to half end of last year.

In a research released last week; 3G subscriber penetration in the region expected to triple this year, and Palm managed to sign one of its biggest 3G smartphone contract with a European carrier which Palm still refuse to name, and for sure it won't be long before Palm sign even more carriers to it list.

Palm also plan to release PalmOS Treo smartphone this year to assure the community that they not in anyway leaving the loyal Palm OS users around the world, but the new smartphone will not support 3G technologies, which is not supported currently 'til Access release the new Linux version of the OS.
    http://www.palm-dubai.net/001/2006/0...t_from__1.html

Surur
    Last edited by surur; 01/14/2006 at 07:12 AM.
    the better the 700P is going to be, the later in the year it is going to come out.

Want EVDO, wait till DEC

64 MB and 1.3MP, June maybe..