Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 101516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
    Perry, see what you started? The longer the season lasts, the sillier it gets.
    I love silly season, why cannot we make it continue
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    Perry, see what you started? The longer the season lasts, the sillier it gets.
    We already scared off Perry, remember? It really is silly to expect any news about a new Palm OS Treo when the Windows version was just introduced last week. They have to let it settle in before confusing the masses by introducing another one. Even Palm is not clueless enough to throw away the Palm OS base. They've go to know that we need more memory. EV-DO is not negotiable because the cariers have made huge investments in it. Wi-Fi will come on the card. Somehow we've go to settle down and let things take their natural course over the next few months. There will be certainly be no news on a new Palm OS Treo this month.
    Newton 120 > PalmPilot Pro > Palm III > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Treo 90 > Treo 600 (Sprint) > Treo 700p (Verizon)
    ----------------------------Nokia 5160------------------> Motorola V8160 ^
    I don't see why a Linux variant would be so hard. As someone mentioned, throw a PACE on their and you're done. The Sharp Zaurus already delivered Linux on a PDA. Palm would have to add telephony APIs but they're smart :-) I'm sure they could do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by gkaatz
    I don't see why a Linux variant would be so hard. As someone mentioned, throw a PACE on their and you're done. The Sharp Zaurus already delivered Linux on a PDA. Palm would have to add telephony APIs but they're smart :-) I'm sure they could do it.
    Don't overestimate Palm's abilities. They've underwhelmed us before.
    I'm back!
    Hey whatever panned out on the following photo from that Asian site? Could it be or is it a Photoshopipedream? Just seeing a marketing photo out so long before an introduction probably answers the Q of autheticity tho.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Patrick Horne
    Just listened to Needham conference call.
    http://www.wsw.com/webcast/needham13/palm/

A few things I noted.

1) There will be more POS Treo's
    2) There will be more WM Treo's
    3) WM allows them to use advanced Radio technology (EVDO/UMTS)
    4) WM is aimed at Europe
    5) They have partnered with a large international carrier, and want to focus on increasing their worldwide presence.
    6) He did not even mention any other OS's

My Conclusions:

a)There is no EVDO Treo 700p
    b)The Hollywood (antennaless design) is WM, has UMTS, and is targeted at Europe.
    c)The Lowrider will be a cheap device with a NEW formfactor. It will be POS.
    d) No Linux Treo this year, or Access Treo either.

Two slides from the conference which I found interesting.

http://www.wsw.com/webcast/needham13/palm/2__Slide7.JPG

http://www.wsw.com/webcast/needham13...2__Slide24.JPG

Surur
    Last edited by surur; 01/12/2006 at 04:56 PM.
  8. jjd
    Quote Originally Posted by surur

A few things I noted.
    3) WM allows them to use advanced Radio technology (EVDO/UMTS)
    4) WM is aimed at Europe
    This doesn't make sense to me. If WM is aimed at Europe, why would they make the first delivery of it be a CDMA version?

Also, I'm not sure why POS vs. WM would have anything to do with allowing them to use EV-DO. Perhaps I'll have to go listen as well. Thanks for the URL.

--Jim--
    Last edited by jjd; 01/12/2006 at 04:39 PM. Reason: (fixed meta tags)
    Also, I'm not sure why POS vs. WM would have anything to do with allowing them to use EV-DO.
    Its very simple. There is at least 3 EVDO WM devices (PPC-6700, Treo 700w and Imate PDA-2k (Hobbs's device). I dont think HTC sat down and wrote these stacks. The EVDO stack very likely comes free from MS. The same for the UMTS stack for European devices. WM allows Palm to quickly develop devices with advanced radio stacks at little cost to themselves. Thats why there's at least 12+ companies doing WM smartphones (HTC, Eten, Gigabyte, HP, Motorola, Symbol, Sharp, Samsung, BenQ, Lenovo, Mitac, AnexTEK etc etc) with more on the way. Fujitsu Siemens has just thrown their hat in the ring. Its very easy for them. MS has done all the work already.

This doesn't make sense to me. If WM is aimed at Europe, why would they make the first delivery of it be a CDMA version?
    Because Palm's home base is USA and Verizon is its partner?

Surur
    Last edited by surur; 01/12/2006 at 05:01 PM.
    700P
    EV-DO
    I BELIEVE !!

ED COLLIGAN, Nov 8, 2005 We have a rich product roadmap of Palm OS-based handheld computers, mobile managers AND Treo smartphones that we intend to deliver. Our Palm OS customer loyalty is extremely high, and we intend to continue to earn that loyalty with great Palm OS-based products. We have sold more than 30 million Palm OS-based products over the years, and it is not our intent to walk away from such a strong and loyal user base. That's why in May we extended our license for Palm OS, giving us the right to continue to make and market Palm OS-based products until 2010.

Treo 700p, Hollywood, Lowrider Treos Coming Next Year
    Posted By: Ryan on Monday, November 21, 2005 11:38:15 AM Sagio Investments,
    one of the largest Palm shareholders, has released a new investment report on Palm Inc. The report details Palm's current business strategy and market analysis. The report even goes on to detail a number of future Treo product releases for 2006.

The Palm research report has been posted by Sagio Investments here (.pdf link).

Highlights Include:

Smartphones represented 67% of revenues in 1Q06, growing 167% yoy. Palm also picked up market share in the US with 31% of the market second only to RIMM (55%). PALM had 11% of worldwide market share behind both RIMM (22%) and NOKIA (17%).
    Palm's handheld market-share in the US is 61%
    According to industry report the market for data enabled devices (Treo and blackberry line) will grow tenfold by 2008. Passing from an estimate 4 millions devices to an estimate 40 millions.
    They claim Push Email is the first real killer-app for Smartphones and compares it to the introduction on of spreadsheets and Word for PC.
    Palm has a competitive advantage because it can run the most Push email systems on the market
    Palm has a very high chance to ship over 2.5 million Smartphones in fiscal 2006
    They conclude that Palm's stock valuation is currently "cheap" and compare it's price to Apple Computer's before the company introduced the iPod line.
    New Treo Products
    The report also details that the company has learned that Palm will introduce several new Treo models in 2006. These include the Treo 700w (the Windows Mobile Treo), a 700p (the same model running Palm OS Garnet) as well as two new designs code-named "Hollywood" and "Lowrider".

We know that PALM will introduce four new models in CY 06. In January they will introduce the already announced Treo 700 Windows which will be a Verizon exclusivity it will be the first EV-DO Treo on the market. Around the same time we believe PALM will launch a Treo 700p running PALM OS on the Sprint network, both devices will keep same form factor and will capitalize on the Treo strong foothold in the US enterprise Market.
    We also learned that PALM will be launching two new products around March 06 codenamed “Hollywood” and “Lowrider”. According to the Morgan Stanley analyst in Asia (covers HTC) the estimate production output will be 200K devices/month.

“Hollywood” will be a fancier 3G/GSM smartphone which will represent PALM first attempt at the European GSM market. We know the phone will have no external antenna and will probably he launched by Cingular in the US.

“Lowrider” will be a sub-$300 devices utilizing previous generation radios and providing PALM with an entry level PDA.

Thanks to David Beers for the tip.

Palm Says 3 New Treo Smartphones in 2006
    Posted By: Ryan on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 6:11:29 PM Palm CEO Ed Colligan
    stated in todays Palm's earnings conference call that Palm will announce three new smartphones next year, in addition to the Treo 700w. Read on for more details.

"We'll roll out the Palm Treo 700w smartphone based on Microsoft's Windows Mobile, and we'll announce three additional new smartphones during calendar year 2006." said said Ed Colligan. During the conference call he further stated that these new models will debut with new industrial designs and at different price points. They will also implement next-generation radio technologies.

My Conclusions:

a)There is no EVDO Treo 700p
    Why do you think Palm called the WM Treo the Treo 700W? Common sense tells me that there is a Treo 700P that hasn't been released just yet because Verizon and Microsoft have an agreement with Palm of not releaseing any other Treo while the 700w is hot. Now, Sprint wants a piece of the new Treo too, but it will probably around the end of February or March when Palm releases the Treo 700p. Why wouldn't Palm make a Treo 700p if there are quite a lot of people waiting for one? Have you seen the polls around TreoCentral? They all point to a massive population of users wanting a Treo 700p.

Al
    Why wouldn't Palm make a Treo 700p if there are quite a lot of people waiting for one?
    Because they will have to write the POS EVDO stack themselves?

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    Why do you think Palm called the WM Treo the Treo 700W? Common sense tells me that there is a Treo 700P that hasn't been released just yet because Verizon and Microsoft have an agreement with Palm of not releaseing any other Treo while the 700w is hot. Now, Sprint wants a piece of the new Treo too, but it will probably around the end of February or March when Palm releases the Treo 700p. Why wouldn't Palm make a Treo 700p if there are quite a lot of people waiting for one? Have you seen the polls around TreoCentral? They all point to a massive population of users wanting a Treo 700p.

Al
    Think you misread him, what he saying is that he does not think there will be a 700p with EVDO, not that there wont be any 700p
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    Think you misread him, what he saying is that he does not think there will be a 700p with EVDO, not that there wont be any 700p
    Yes, I'm only talking about the EVDO part. Nothing stops Palm from releasing non-3G devices. The Lowrider is virtually guaranteed to be non-EVDO.

Surur
    I think it'd be neat to have a symbian based treo.
    Yes, I'm only talking about the EVDO part. Nothing stops Palm from releasing non-3G devices. The Lowrider is virtually guaranteed to be non-EVDO.

Surur

EVDO is what makes the Treo 700 and w stands for been a windows mobile. So if Palm would make a 700p with no EVDO, most Palm OS users including myself would not buy it. Therefore, if you say there will be no EVDO Palm OS Treo is the same as saying there will be no Treo 700p, which I do not agree.

Al
    Treolo, I posted about this previously. Surur, thanks for digging up the details I was referring to. I'm still hoping to be wrong, but Palm said what they said. As I mentioned in another thread (or maybe it was even this one?), they could still come out with a 700p without Ev-DO and it would be a minor upgrade to the 650 (a 50 point upgrade in fact). It would likely have the 1.3MP (but possibly worse quality) camera, slightly slimmer formfactor, Wi-Fi card support, more storage RAM, and possibly other minor OS/software tweaks.

And considering that some mainstream reviewers are currently saying that the 650 is better than the 700w in many respects, this minorly updated 700p would make the comparison even harder.

Would it be as compelling an upgrade for 650 owners as the 650 was for 600 owners? No. The improved screen on the 650 was the big draw there, and with the 1.3MP camera of the 700 producing lackluster quality images, they won't have any one big feature that can do that (except for some that put a lot of importance on the larger built in storage memory - I'm not one of them).

But for new buyers, it will be even more compelling than the 650.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    EVDO is what makes the Treo 700 and w stands for been a windows mobile. So if Palm would make a 700p with no EVDO, most Palm OS users including myself would not buy it. Therefore, if you say there will be no EVDO Palm OS Treo is the same as saying there will be no Treo 700p, which I do not agree.
    Al
    Some of us will not buy it if it does not have UMTS. On the other hand, we are used to being dumped on by Palm. We even hope that this time it is your turn.

Al

YES !! Same for me. If a 700P has no EV-DO, it will be a joke. Yes, and I am very positive about that!

Cheers, Perry

I BELIEVE IN THE 700P AND I BELIEVE IT WILL HAVE EV-DO !!
    Last edited by gtwo; 01/12/2006 at 08:15 PM.
    I cant even believe we are discussing a 700P without EVDO. I think we have reached the desperation stage of info. The longer we go without info the more ludrcious we get.