Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    You may be right, but Hawk did say to look for the "Third Revolutionary Product" from them. Palm Pilot was #1, Treo was #2, everything else was "evolutionary."
    Could this be an old artical with Hawk refering to the LifeDrive?

Timmay
    I’m a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
  2.    #22  
    If anyone can tweak an OS it's Palm, look what they did with garnet, look at what their doing with Windows Mobile. There were already 2 versions of cobalt given to licensees, you think Palm never touched it??? It might not be called cobalt, but I have a feeling it will give us more of the multitasking that people were expecting with cobalt. I am happy with my 650 running frankengarnet, I do not need desktop features on my Treo, I'd take them, but not at the expense of having to run Windows Mobile, been there done that.
    Jimmie Geddes
  3.    #23  
    No he said it the other day at the Palm Analyst day, I posted his quote:
    http://www.gadgetsonthego.net/2005/0...-be-atreo.html
    Jimmie Geddes
  4.    #24  
    Jimmie Geddes
    If you are right about Cobalt (and for the record, I disagree) then I'll bet anything the delay to market is because it BREAKS so much of the existing Palm third party software base that it might as well be WM5. Now, you're a developer who has to redo your entire codebase - do you go with new and improved (and untried) Cobalt, or do you migrate to fifth generation WM? Mmmmmmmm.......

Seems like some of us have forgotten the six month headache of moving to Palm OS5.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  6.    #26  
    This is where I think Palm could have "tweaked" cobalt, I doubt they will even refer to it as cobalt, if it even happens,lol. Remember the jump from os4 to os5, how apps ran in emulation, they did it before, they can do it again. I could be 100% wrong, I just think it's possible. Like I said it's very possible I am wrong, and garnet lives on, but the reason I started this thread was I was told there was a Treo 700p, and it is more impressive than the Treo 700w. I want to make that clear,lol. Cobalt, garnet, whatever, something is coming.
    Jimmie Geddes
  7.    #27  
    That something WILL have a version of Palm OS on it.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    If you are right about Cobalt (and for the record, I disagree) then I'll bet anything the delay to market is because it BREAKS so much of the existing Palm third party software base that it might as well be WM5. Now, you're a developer who has to redo your entire codebase - do you go with new and improved (and untried) Cobalt, or do you migrate to fifth generation WM? Mmmmmmmm.......

Seems like some of us have forgotten the six month headache of moving to Palm OS5.

No. Cobalt supports backward 68k application compatibility via through PACE environment.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  9.    #29  
    There are too many palm os applications available that PalmSource would have ever made cobalt w/out an emulation environment.
    Jimmie Geddes
    You know what I think...I think Bill Gates has always coveted our Treos...but wouldn't be caught dead carrying one unless it was equiped with a 'proper' operating system...the untimate Treo bling...bet he footed the bill for most of the development.
    Treo 650 GSM Unlocked-TMobile
    To me it seems clear that Hawkins was only referring to z22 and Tungsten X as the “products later this year”. That sentence was like an “in addition to revolutionary new product” that Palm is working on. The 700p will, in my opinion, not be shipped until the second half of next year.

Palm is a small company that has been unable to produce customized Treos and updates for more than one carrier at the time. Surely Palm will not be capable of producing two new and vastly different Treos (700w and 700p) at the same time for similar release dates. I bet that Palm will not work full throttle on the 700p before the 700w has left the building.

Quote Originally Posted by u_m_rasmussen
    To me it seems clear that Hawkins was only referring to z22 and Tungsten X as the “products later this year”. That sentence was like an “in addition to revolutionary new product” that Palm is working on. The 700p will, in my opinion, not be shipped until the second half of next year.

Palm is a small company that has been unable to produce customized Treos and updates for more than one carrier at the time. Surely Palm will not be capable of producing two new and vastly different Treos (700w and 700p) at the same time for similar release dates. I bet that Palm will not work full throttle on the 700p before the 700w has left the building.

Exactly my thoughts... well said.

Timmay
    I’m a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    I know what you're saying, and I am looking forward to that "revolutionary product". I am so happy with my Treo 650, that it's all cake now. I do think there is something bigger than the Treo on the horizon, but I think there will be a successor to the 650. I am thinking it will run cobalt possibly.

This is my own thought, but something keeps telling me a cobalt treo is coming soon. They have had cobalt ever since palmsource gave it to them. They had to have been doing something with it. When the first video of the windows mobile treo came out from roc a fella, he also said that there was a cobalt one. I have a feeling that cobalt isn't dead anymore, if Palm wants or maybe has been briging it back to life and tweaking it. It's a finished os, and the fact that there was supposedly a cobalt treo alongside the windows mobile one makes me think this more.
    Speculation and opinion. Palm loves it. Welcome to silly season. We spend the last quarter of the year doing this and the first complaining about features and schedule. We are users and must have our twice-daily fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    Speculation and opinion. Palm loves it. Welcome to silly season. We spend the last quarter of the year doing this and the first complaining about features and schedule. We are users and must have our twice-daily fix.

Hahahahahahahahaha. So true. I see Jeff's reliability as a source is being questioned here, but other posters have said the same thing- to expect a Cobalt-based Treo soon. We'll see (hopefully soon)
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss

I have not forgotten.

It would be wonderful if one could write a multi-tasking operating system w/o breaking old applications. MS had to drag the DOS dinosaur for years. To their credit they did. Apple and Palm have simply abandoned developers, apps, and users. One can do that when the base is small and loyal. Once one becomes mass-market, that option becomes less attractive.
    I call BS on this one. PalmOS will become a niche OS that will be morphed into Linux. It might continue in some niche consumer market but will not have much future in the corporate world I suspect.

- PalmOS was sold to a small company. It is a Japanese mobile web browser company that was able to outbid Palm for PalmSource (the OS) because Palm didn't think it had that level of value ($324M). The small company will have no political power to have 3rd party support for major corporate application integration.

- There are some reports that Palm says they will continue using PalmOS, but analysts are saying the writing is on the wall. I suspect Palm will continue to support PalmOS for years but may not release another PalmOS phone. LifeDrive was a total flop.

- The new Cobalt OS didn't pan out and PalmOS devices aren't selling globally.

- There is no word of another Treo with PalmOS in development outside of this claim, only Windows Mobile.

- Sprint dropped all PalmOS phones except the Treo 650 and is adding Windows Mobile phones.

- Sprint rejected a new Samsung phone based on Palm but went with their Windows version. Samsung apparently decided not to make another Palm device after the wasted effort.

- PalmOS is extremely difficult to develop for compared to Windows Mobile. Windows developers can easily become Mobile developers using powerful Windows development tools that have a much larger development community.

The message will be clear if Palm lifecycles out the 650 next year w/out announcing another PalmOS Treo. And it will be also interesting to see if cellphone carriers will carry another Palm phone. LG is licensed for Palm but carriers might reject it as Sprint rejected the latest Samsung Palm phone.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    I should add that I would still recommend a Treo 650 phone if you only plan to keep it for a few years. It is a great device and it will be supported for a long time.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Consumer Warning:

I am not posting under two names - xenophonite just sounds eerily the same.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    - There is no word of another Treo with PalmOS in development outside of this claim, only Windows Mobile.
    I posted this in another thread:

And in case anyone missed it, this is from the main announcement article on the TreoCentral homepage:
    This announcement does not mean the end of Palm OS; Bush did go on record to say that "Yes, we will have future Treo products on Palm OS".

Anyone calling Bush a liar?
    (That's Allen Bush, Director of Business Marketing at Palm.)
    I still believe.
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast