Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718192021222328 ... LastLast
    I am back on the roof
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy
    I am back on the roof

Back into that Penthouse SmileyBoy!

Again, I say: SHADOWMITE HAS HAD A 700P in his hand! He has said it has EV-DO and that it has an antenna and that is all he has divulged.

There is a 700P or Shadowmite is delusional. I go with that there is a 700P, without a quiver of doubt, the man rocks.

You know, this cheerleading job for you folks is getting harder and harder. There will be a 700P! Get a grip! We are sooooo close. . . . do not lose faith now!!!

CHeers, Perry.
    Ok ok. But, everytime I read that press release. I get ASCARED.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Back into that Penthouse SmileyBoy!

Again, I say: SHADOWMITE HAS HAD A 700P in his hand! He has said it has EV-DO and that it has an antenna and that is all he has divulged.

There is a 700P or Shadowmite is delusional. I go with that there is a 700P, without a quiver of doubt, the man rocks.

You know, this cheerleading job for you folks is getting harder and harder. There will be a 700P! Get a grip! We are sooooo close. . . . do not lose faith now!!!

CHeers, Perry.
    I'm with ya bro.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Silly Season! Ya just gotta love it !!
    Can we get Shadowmite to post here on this subject? I'd be willing to trust him that a Palm OS Ev-DO model exists if he'll come out and say so.

But based on the official comments made by Palm OS I think we can make the following statements:
    1) Ev-DO was/is not possible (or, at least not without significant work) on the Palm OS.
    2) More Palm OS Treos will be released (including one or more this year).

So, I feel confident that we'll see at least one new Palm OS Treo this year, but I'm not confident that it will be a new high-end model. If I ignore the rumors of what Shadowmite saw, my pessimistic money would be on two new Palm OS models:
    1) A 700p without Ev-DO, but with more memory than the 650 and a higher megapixel (but possibly lesser quality overall) camera, and slightly updated (but not necessarily better/worse) physical design.
    2) A lower-end Treo (whatever that entails - no camera, no SD slot, no Bluetooth?).

I'd love to see Palm be a little more interesting and try out some new formfactors, such as the one linked to in my sig, a non-thumbboard Treo, a flip-phone non-thumbboard Treo, a 320x480 Treo, etc., but I have a sneaking suspicion that they're devoid of creativity over there and we'll only see slightly modified versions of the same Treo 6xx design.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Well if Shadowmite got a preproduction model I guess Palm finally got smart and actually let someone test the phone who is a real world user, knows the software, can actually detect a problem and possibly even find a solution.

While there's breath there's hope, I suppose. I was wondering how long it would take for them to approach him.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    Can we get Shadowmite to post here on this subject? I'd be willing to trust him that a Palm OS Ev-DO model exists if he'll come out and say so.

But based on the official comments made by Palm OS I think we can make the following statements:
    1) Ev-DO was/is not possible (or, at least not without significant work) on the Palm OS.
    2) More Palm OS Treos will be released (including one or more this year).

So, I feel confident that we'll see at least one new Palm OS Treo this year, but I'm not confident that it will be a new high-end model. If I ignore the rumors of what Shadowmite saw, my pessimistic money would be on two new Palm OS models:
    1) A 700p without Ev-DO, but with more memory than the 650 and a higher megapixel (but possibly lesser quality overall) camera, and slightly updated (but not necessarily better/worse) physical design.
    2) A lower-end Treo (whatever that entails - no camera, no SD slot, no Bluetooth?).

I'd love to see Palm be a little more interesting and try out some new formfactors, such as the one linked to in my sig, a non-thumbboard Treo, a flip-phone non-thumbboard Treo, a 320x480 Treo, etc., but I have a sneaking suspicion that they're devoid of creativity over there and we'll only see slightly modified versions of the same Treo 6xx design.
    Here is what Shadowmite wrote in Post #40 of the "Treo 700p by the end of Feb for Sprint" thread:

The 700p's I have seen are 5.4.7... Sorry... Looks like it's just a radio and memory upgrade to the 650. As the 650 was a minimal upgrade to the 600. Small steps.

I feel confident 1 of the other treo's they will annouce this year will be a 750 or whatnot with yet more small upgrades.

I am going to go look for the antenna comment:
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Here is what Shadowmite wrote in Post #40 of the "Treo 700p by the end of Feb for Sprint" thread:

The 700p's I have seen are 5.4.7... Sorry... Looks like it's just a radio and memory upgrade to the 650. As the 650 was a minimal upgrade to the 600. Small steps.

I feel confident 1 of the other treo's they will annouce this year will be a 750 or whatnot with yet more small upgrades.

I am going to go look for the antenna comment:

What EXACTLY does he mean by RADIO?
    EV-DO, is my take, what else can a radio improvement be?

Dutchtrumpet said Shadowmite confirmed EV-DO, I am still searching for that quote from Shadowmite.
    the radio is thing that let's you use the providers network
    I hope that's not the only comment we have from him that's being interpreted to mean that a 700p with Ev-DO is definitely being released. I could interpret that quote to mean that he got to briefly see someone else's 700p, checked the OS version, and made some assumptions about what features it had/didn't have.

And Sukiyaki...I wouldn't assume that Shadowmite's connections are with Palm. He claimed to have some insider connections for communicating bugs about the PPC-6700, so my guess would be his connections are inside Sprint, not Palm.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Here is a quote from shadowmite's forum :

This device should be out sometime in the next 3 months in theory and will be quite interesting. Currently I believe it to be a minimal upgrade from the 650 including evdo and more memory. Most likely running OS5.4.7
    Now let me ask, why would Palm let Shadowmite have a device and no NDA n it? Also are you saying the proposed 700 is just a 650 with an improved radio and the memory the 650 should have had in the first place? Oh! That should make everyone (who just spent $600 on a 650 in the last year) very happy....NOT.

Lastly, re-read Shadows statement. He says.."most likely running OS 5.4.7" not difinitively running that OS.

Please note. I do not have a nickle in this dime. My lot is cast to the 6700 and if there is a Palm Treo to come out then all the more power to you all but everything I read says it is just not possible to do anything more with the OS in a phone and it will take the linux OS Palmsource is promising and not going to be out till 2007. I really think if Palm comes out with yet another disappointment Treo there wil be massive defection to other brands. Whatever happened to the big stock holder in Palm who was proporting all the new Treos for 2006? Where did their poster on TC run off to?
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    to be quite honest, if palm can eliminate the os crashes, implement a faster processor - ( 416 mhz at least), bt 1.2 - enabling mp3 playing over bluetooth headsets, keep the 320 x 320 screen, and include the ev-do radio - I think palm will have arguably punched out the perfect treo. I think these specs will hit the ball out of the park for 90% of smartphone users out there. just this one time, palm, c'mon. hit the homer!
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Okay. Silly Season is now over for me.

The 700p will have (IMHO):

EV-DO
    64mb
    1.3 megapixel camera
    BT 1.2
    Fat 32 for 4GB SD cards

I will be happy.

Anything else will be a plus.

I'm gone from the 700P threads until they announce.

See ya soon!

Cheers, Perry.

P.S. Hi Gharrod! I believe Shadowmite has "seen" the 700P thru a contact at Sprint and not thru Palm -- as someone has suggested in another post, so he did not probably sign an NDA with Palm. The 5.4.7 is what was on the device he saw -- he is saying probably, as what he saw may not be the final OS version for the product brought to market.
    I'm new and been reading the info on this site and others... my balloon is deflating on the whether or not there is a 700p planned. How long before did we know for sure about the 700w (if not by the same name)? This seems to make a release somewhat doubtful early in the year if at all. I really hope there is one though....

on a separate note, if it does go to spring or singulair, will it most likely be exclusive for 6 months or more like the 700w? sprint and cingulair both suck in the middle of KS and our good regional provider (alltel) just got the 650 as an option in our area. maybe I should just pull the trigger on the 650 as it would probably be a year or more until the 700p would be available here regardless. right now i'm just fed up with my kyocera 7135 and in need of a new smartphone BAD.

any thoughts?

KJ
    650 is great for me. I love Palm apps. I hate looking like a dork with BT headset (which work horrible with the 650) and if I'm in reach of WiFi, I have a laptop with me. And surfing on the Treo is not exactly graceful so evdo is not gonna improve this experience much. So if BT, evdo and wifi are important to you, wait.

Quote Originally Posted by akoryj
    I'm new and been reading the info on this site and others... my balloon is deflating on the whether or not there is a 700p planned. How long before did we know for sure about the 700w (if not by the same name)? This seems to make a release somewhat doubtful early in the year if at all. I really hope there is one though....

on a separate note, if it does go to spring or singulair, will it most likely be exclusive for 6 months or more like the 700w? sprint and cingulair both suck in the middle of KS and our good regional provider (alltel) just got the 650 as an option in our area. maybe I should just pull the trigger on the 650 as it would probably be a year or more until the 700p would be available here regardless. right now i'm just fed up with my kyocera 7135 and in need of a new smartphone BAD.

any thoughts?

KJ
    Fwiw...contacted two different corporate sprint reps. One was rather mum and said a the 700w would be out in 6 months with sprint.

The other was short and sweet...Q2 700p...Q3,700w. And that is that. Cheers.
    Well after reading this thread...

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=104021

I have serious doubts about any 700P, There is no way they are releasing a 700w and a 700P at the same time. It just isn't Sprint's style. We have been hosed............... R.I.P. Palm OS