Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718192025 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 300 of 582
  1. DHart's Avatar
    Posts
    273 Posts
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    #281  
    Quote Originally Posted by rvwink
    Heres something you might find interesting Galen. I am told that by May, the WM5 Treo might be available on Sprint. That makes me think that perhaps Sprint and Verizon have traded favors. Sprint gets the Treo 700W and Verizon gets the Treo 700P. This is certainly not a sure thing, but the guy who told me had pretty good credentials. It actually makes sense for both Service Providers to have two new exclusive Treos instead of just one. Palm certainly gets to sell more smartphones that way and by May they should likely have cranked up the volume a bit more and have more Treo 700s coming off the production lines.
    RVWINK -

    This really does make a lot of sense for all three - Palm, Verizon, and Sprint. Now if we can get Palm/Cingular moving, I will be a happy camper.
  2. #282  
    Quote Originally Posted by GalenMD
    What are the chances the the 700p could be converted to Vz?
    According to shadowmite, it is impossible to verizonize a sprint 650 or the new PPC 6700. Sprint stopped allowing "Sprinterizing" a long time ago and Verizon maybe 4 or 5 months ago. I hope he's wrong for your sake but it seems that Verizoning is a thing of the past.
  3. #283  
    When I look into my magical ball I see alot of resistance to the 700 windows OS, further looking into the ball I see alot of people running to the 700 palm OS. People hate change....
  4. #284  
    Quote Originally Posted by rvwink
    Heres something you might find interesting Galen. I am told that by May, the WM5 Treo might be available on Sprint. That makes me think that perhaps Sprint and Verizon have traded favors. Sprint gets the Treo 700W and Verizon gets the Treo 700P. This is certainly not a sure thing, but the guy who told me had pretty good credentials. It actually makes sense for both Service Providers to have two new exclusive Treos instead of just one. Palm certainly gets to sell more smartphones that way and by May they should likely have cranked up the volume a bit more and have more Treo 700s coming off the production lines.
    Actually, isn't it more likely the other way 'round? If Verizon got exclusivity on the 700w, it seems more likely the 700p might be exclusive to Sprint since they've had exclusivity on the 600 and 650 cdma models. Since Verizon has lost out the last two generations it seems more likely they'd want to have something "really new" like the 700 with WM5.
  5. #285  
    Quote Originally Posted by DHart
    RVWINK -

    This really does make a lot of sense for all three - Palm, Verizon, and Sprint. Now if we can get Palm/Cingular moving, I will be a happy camper.
    Now, if Palm and its partners cared about what makes sense, cared as much about the consumer as they do about market share.
  6. #286  
    Is it reallly no longer possible to verizonfy a sprint 650? I have been using my verizonfied 650 for about 10 months now, but I am starting to wear it out.

    I cannot consider a switch to Sprint. There is almost zero reception at my office, but I have perfect reception with vz, even in the elevators and 4 levels subterranean. I also do not want to change to WM. I am very comfortable with POS.
  7. slinky's Avatar
    Posts
    578 Posts
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    #287  
    Quote Originally Posted by GalenMD
    I also do not want to change to WM. I am very comfortable with POS.
    Do you mean Piece of S*** or Palm OS? Oh sorry, you meant the same thing. From what I understand, you can't use the newly produced phones to switch the carriers but I could be wrong. Why not just buy another Verizon phone if you're going back there?
  8. #288  
    I don't see much wrong with the Palm OS. It's more intuitive than WM. Perhaps Blazer could be better, and maybe Versamail, but that's about it.

    WM5 is a learning curve for new users. I'm basically doing a lot of experiments(trial and error) on my WM5 device due to sketchy help. Palm OS is a lot easier to figure out and has better documentation in case you need help.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  9. #289  
    Quote Originally Posted by DHart
    RVWINK -

    Now if we can get Palm/Cingular moving, I will be a happy camper.
    Palm Cingular is moving in a positive Palm with the scheduled US launch of the Treo Hollywood. Cingular had been entertaining thoughts of carrying the sexy Q in early 2006. It appears an exclusive with the Treo Hollywood convinced them to focus instead on Treo's antennaless slender GSM product.
  10. #290  
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    ... Why not just buy another Verizon phone if you're going back there?
    I could do this, but I'd rather hold out for an upgraded device. The only reason I verizonfied my 650 in the first place was because my 600 died and the 650 was not yet available. I don't want to blow my money and any upgrade allowance just to get the same phone.

    While I really have enjoyed my 650 over the past year, it feels outdated. I had a chance to play with someone's i730 with EV-DO yesterday and I was truly impressed. Surfing the internet on the 650 is a painful experience. Using EV-DO was really quite wonderful. The i730, though quite heavy and large (especially with the extended battery), has a nice form factor. The keyboard slides nicely and securely, unlike the previous model. I have no idea on the software and overall usability, though.

    I am not totally against WM/PPC. However, I have a lot of time and money invested in software and got my 650 tweaked just right for all my professional needs. It is a big leap to make.
  11. #291  
    Quote Originally Posted by GalenMD
    Is it reallly no longer possible to verizonfy a sprint 650? I have been using my verizonfied 650 for about 10 months now, but I am starting to wear it out.
    Here's the link to shadowmite's thread: http://shadowmite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=785
    Sorry I didn't include it above!
  12. DHart's Avatar
    Posts
    273 Posts
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    #292  
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    Now, if Palm and its partners cared about what makes sense, cared as much about the consumer as they do about market share.
    Umm...Actually that's exactly why it makes sense for all three. All three are able to appeal to a wider market by offering both versions.
  13. #293  
    Switching costs.. This is all about switching costs. The carriers are going to do whatever they can to increase the monetary or convenience cost of switching. Part of it is that churn increases their operating cost.

    If you spend a lot of money and time on software for your T650 then you will have more inertia when considering switching. (inertia can prevent you from moving as well as keep you moving!)

    The sad fact is that corporate america runs on Windows and an increasing number of us will be getting our mobile technology from our companies. Who was first or how intuitive the interface is secondary consideration, unfortunately.

    We are going to see the windows vs. * battle all over again in the mobile device space until at least 50% of the cellular users can hack the linux kernel and put it on their phone in their spare time. That will happen when there are snowballs piled up in H3LL.

    It is sad. I graduated with CompSci degree in mid 80s and I seem to pick the coolest platforms and then the Bill Gates Company catches up and trounces my choice into the "also ran" category.

    For example, I bought a Mac in 1984. I Liked X11 and SunOS Unix. I think the netscape browser is cool. I think java is the way to go. I had a Palm Pro , Palm VIIx, kyocera 6035 , Samsung I500 (a darned nice phone), and now a T650. I am reading the handwriting on the wall and it is not looking promising for palmos.
  14. #294  
    Quote Originally Posted by DHart
    Umm...Actually that's exactly why it makes sense for all three. All three are able to appeal to a wider market by offering both versions.
    True, it does make sense but it is irrelevant. They see it as a zero sum game in which they win only to the extent that the others lose. They are democrats; they do not believe in the argument of a "bigger pie."
  15. #295  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    I believe!

    All I want for Christmas, is my Sprint EV-DO Treo 700p.

    I want to believe!

    Well there has been no real release of information on the 700P other than vague references to this unit. As of now (my own personal view it that we won't have this unit until the end of March or sometime before the end of April. I guess they really won't have any problems with clearing FCC reg. As I guess it is the same hardware as the 700W
  16. #296  
    Quote Originally Posted by ghiscott
    Switching costs.. This is all about switching costs. The carriers are going to do whatever they can to increase the monetary or convenience cost of switching. Part of it is that churn increases their operating cost.

    If you spend a lot of money and time on software for your T650 then you will have more inertia when considering switching. (inertia can prevent you from moving as well as keep you moving!)

    The sad fact is that corporate america runs on Windows and an increasing number of us will be getting our mobile technology from our companies. Who was first or how intuitive the interface is secondary consideration, unfortunately.

    We are going to see the windows vs. * battle all over again in the mobile device space until at least 50% of the cellular users can hack the linux kernel and put it on their phone in their spare time. That will happen when there are snowballs piled up in H3LL.

    It is sad. I graduated with CompSci degree in mid 80s and I seem to pick the coolest platforms and then the Bill Gates Company catches up and trounces my choice into the "also ran" category.

    For example, I bought a Mac in 1984. I Liked X11 and SunOS Unix. I think the netscape browser is cool. I think java is the way to go. I had a Palm Pro , Palm VIIx, kyocera 6035 , Samsung I500 (a darned nice phone), and now a T650. I am reading the handwriting on the wall and it is not looking promising for palmos.

    how about when Acess releases the Linux kernel with the look and feel of Palm? You will be riding high then; but I guess we won't see one of those devices until 1st or 2nd Q of 07!
  17. #297  
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844
    how about when Acess releases the Linux kernel with the look and feel of Palm? You will be riding high then; but I guess we won't see one of those devices until 1st or 2nd Q of 07!

    Sprint Treo 800P, December 2007.
  18. #298  
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844
    Well there has been no real release of information on the 700P other than vague references to this unit. As of now (my own personal view it that we won't have this unit until the end of March or sometime before the end of April. I guess they really won't have any problems with clearing FCC reg. As I guess it is the same hardware as the 700W
    It seems clear that Palm will release a PalmOS Treo this year, but I don't think it will be called "700p". Using the same model number implies that the hardware is the same. But they're not going to put a 240x240 screen on it, so the hardware will not be the same as the 700w.

    I think it'll either be a higher number (750p?, 800p?) or Palm will switch to a new naming scheme altogether.
  19. #299  
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim
    It seems clear that Palm will release a PalmOS Treo this year, .........
    I think that, with relative silence and artful disclosures, it is amazing that Palm has convinced you of this.
  20. #300  
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    I think that, with relative silence and artful disclosures, it is amazing that Palm has convinced you of this.
    Palm convinced me of this by actually stating explicitly that they would release another PalmOS Treo.

Posting Permissions