Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    why should there be a palm version now? other than just because we want one.
    Seems pretty simple to me. All of Palm's customers to date have PalmOS devices - they'd be incredibly stupid to suddenly abandon that loyal base. Palm needs the 700 since it's been over a year since the 650 came out and competitors are lining up with comparable products.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Hey Bob-C

Only time will tell. . . . . . but combined with all the other tidbits, a story is beginning to emerge. Heck, after the Treo 700W announcement, the concensus seemed to be there would never be another Palm OS Treo.

I believe that concensus has now turned the other way. . . . . now it is just a matter of when!

We will see. I appreciate your caution.

Cheers, Perry.
    I agree there will be another Palm Treo. I just don't think it will come out until the summer as Palm is really focused on this 700W launch in 1Q 2006. So I don't think Sprint is clearing inventory.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C
    All I read into this is that Sprint is now updating the 650 price to something that is competitive with what every website has been selling the 650 for over the last six months. Who was going to buy a 650 for $449 with 2 yr service contract?!? Sorry to burst the bubble but I don't think this means anything about a new Treo.
    Who is selling an unlocked 650 for $250 in new condition? Hey, Bob. I'm in Olde City too. Got one for me? We'll meet.
    If it doesn't have a slot for SDHC--I don't want it. Period.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000
    Seems pretty simple to me. All of Palm's customers to date have PalmOS devices - they'd be incredibly stupid to suddenly abandon that loyal base. Palm needs the 700 since it's been over a year since the 650 came out and competitors are lining up with comparable products.
    Then they shouldn't be selling the 700w and definitely not for a good period of time before the alleged 700p comes out.

But remember, I wonder what selling the OS means and whether there will be true congruence like there was in the past. I doubt it. In a way, there might be more innovation in the Palm OS but it still doesn't bode well. Now that hardware is separate from software, the Treo form factor will sell with any OS provided they come up with licensing fees.
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    Then they shouldn't be selling the 700w and definitely not for a good period of time before the alleged 700p comes out.
    Is it not possible that the 700w is meant to gather more customers from the MS based market over to a 'treo'.

How does that preclude them from selling another palm OS treo to the 'loyal' user base? And why does it matter when they sell a 700p? Arguably the two treos are not competing with each other in the sense that people who buy the w are window fans and people who buy the p are palm fans.

Palm was to sell more treo's...period. They really don't care what kind of treo people buy. Palmsource is the only one interested in that.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    tgungho -- My point is the same as yours. My thought is that the 700w is out first because it is a much greater opportunity. Palm has the ability to reach a whole new market -- the Windows people. It couldn't care less if numerous Palm OS users decide to dump their Palm OS and move to the Windows based Treo.

I think it will offer another model to deal with what may be a dwindling number of Palm OS users. Palm OS is not a priority. The only thing that might save the Palm OS is (1) the new co. making significant improvements instead of sitting on their butts like Palmsource did, and (2) having the ability to get the OS ported to other hardware models that provide additional benefits, e.g. WiFi, EVDO and other market leading features.

IMHO, Palm itself is starting to see the grave. It's now a one trick pony in the world of evolving movile phone hardware where Palm makes minor improvements and provides new connectors with each model to stay afloat. This year will be critical and there is dwindling fat and goodwill to stuff into their executives pockets.
    tgungho -- My point is the same as yours. My thought is that the 700w is out first because it is a much greater opportunity. Palm has the ability to reach a whole new market -- the Windows people. It couldn't care less if numerous Palm OS users decide to dump their Palm OS and move to the Windows based Treo.
    It's a win-win for Palm at least to a point. It probably would not be 'good' for all palm treo users to switch to wm treos.

I think it will offer another model to deal with what may be a dwindling number of Palm OS users. Palm OS is not a priority. The only thing that might save the Palm OS is (1) the new co. making significant improvements instead of sitting on their butts like Palmsource did, and (2) having the ability to get the OS ported to other hardware models that provide additional benefits, e.g. WiFi, EVDO and other market leading features.
    I think Palm OS has its benefits...but with different connection methods/technologies, it has not caught up.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Do you believe ANY CEO that talks about their company? Please, will you allow me to sell you something without recourse?

Even if he is guaranteeing there is another Treo, if the 700W is released as we believe... who cares? It's yet another example of trying to provide underpowered features to capture early adopter form fanatics who will find out just how much Palm cut the corners. Then Palm will try to somehow come out with the 750 or offer 32MB RAM SD cards for free with a purchase.
    I understand what you are saying, but I also think there is a reason those people are CEO's. At some point they were smart enough, shrewd enough, and ruthless enough, to make business decisions that got them there. Were some of those decisions questionable? Absolutely, but they ALWAYS do what they believe is going to benefit them and, by extension, their companies. People aren't generally going to go out and truly make decisions just because they want to screw with people. I cannot come up with a plausible scenario where Colligan putting out that letter, then renigging on it, benefits him. If you can, then let's hear it. Maybe at that point I will let you sell me something "without recourse", but it better be a damn good scenario there "slink".
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
  9.    #189  
    It looks like January might be the month we get the Treo 700p from Sprint.

http://gadgetsonthego.net/2005/11/ne...eo-rumors.html
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    It looks like January might be the month we get the Treo 700p from Sprint.

http://gadgetsonthego.net/2005/11/ne...eo-rumors.html
    You forgot to quote Engadget in that artical Jimmie...

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    I understand what you are saying, but I also think there is a reason those people are CEO's. At some point they were smart enough, shrewd enough, and ruthless enough, to make business decisions that got them there. Were some of those decisions questionable? Absolutely, but they ALWAYS do what they believe is going to benefit them and, by extension, their companies. People aren't generally going to go out and truly make decisions just because they want to screw with people. I cannot come up with a plausible scenario where Colligan putting out that letter, then renigging on it, benefits him. If you can, then let's hear it. Maybe at that point I will let you sell me something "without recourse", but it better be a damn good scenario there "slink".
    I've worked with plenty of these CEOs. Many of the reasons have nothing to do with their being smart. In addition, even if some of these people are smart which a good many are, many are so lost in their own arrogance and self-entitlement that they are thinking of their own personal revenue first and the company a distant second. The question to them is to how to spin it before they move on and dump the trojan horse on the successor who will shoulder the blame. Like most criminals, they never believe they will get caught -- and the sad fact is they don't. Do you see how much trouble it has been just to hang the CEOs of Enron and Tyco? It was more difficult to take steroids and testify in front of Congress... and those two are the HUGE ones. It happens all the time and I have no faith in the corporate system, frequently run by boards who serve as minimal protection and a control against the officers since frequently there is a relationship between them.

What you fail to appreciate is that the CEO would like to get that huge bonus that he doesn't deserve. If he can keep up the hype, keep up some semblance that the company has prospects, he'll take the bonus and deal with whatever crap happens later.
  12.    #192  
    I read it on mobileread.I linked to them from the title. Engadget is also linking to mobileread. My title linked back to mobileread, now I added "from mobileread" so no one gets confused

http://engadget.com/entry/1234000950068893/
    Last edited by JimmieGeddes; 11/20/2005 at 12:08 PM.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    You forgot to quote Engadget in that artical Jimmie...
    He's linking back to mobileread.com, which seems to be the first site to publish this info. Engadget is linking back to mobileread as well.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  14.    #194  
    Thanks Scott. Engadget and me are linking to mobileread
    Jimmie Geddes
  15.    #195  
    I'm thinking the Treo 700p will have to have EV-DO, I also think it will be the first Treo to get BlackBerry Connect. Sprint announced almost 2 months ago that their Palm OS Treo smartphones would be getting BlackBerry Connect in '06.

What does everyone want to see in the 700p?
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    What does everyone want to see in the 700p?
    GSM, UMTS, early, and at a price competitive with the Motorla Q.
    I'd like to see some all-new designs (see my sig), but I certainly am not expecting that with the 700p. If these rumors are correct, I would expect the 700p to have the same squarish design as the 700w. I would guess that it will probably have 64MB of storage. I think it's reasonable to expect Ev-DO, but comments from their recent presentation leave me concerned that it won't. If not, I don't see 64MB and a slightly restyled case (and whether it's nicer or uglier is debatable) as being enough of a difference to justify even bothering. An improved camera would be a nice surprise if it can actually serve as a replacement to a standalone camera. I'd love to see built-in GPS, but I'd be surprised to see it have a feature that the 700w lacked (unless they're keeping that a secret). OK, enough rambling.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  18.    #198  
    I agree with you Scott. A redeisgned case, and 64mb will not be enough for most people to upgrade. I am hoping for EV-DO. There was an article(can't remember who) a few weeks ago that said that the successor to the Treo 650 (they didn't call it Treo 700p) would be a Palm OS Treo with EV-DO. I think Sprint and Palm are smart enough to add EV-DO as Sprint is promoting their EV-DO service, and it will keep people that want an EV-DO Palm OS Treo staying with Sprint. Here's hoping they don't mess this one up.
    Jimmie Geddes
    I've worked with plenty of these CEOs.
    That's very hard to believe since you talk about CEOs only in stereotypes.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim
    That's very hard to believe since you talk about CEOs only in stereotypes.
    Wit personified.

Perhaps they might have taught you to believe all the crap they peddled to the street at your last dot com... Whoops. Sorry, I guess that's a stereotype too.

Anyone with a brain in their head takes what is said by any CEO of a listed co. to the street with caution and never completely at face value. It is usually after being carefully tailored to meet an ends and checked with the legal dept.

Take the political correctness to your next rally for Greenpeace.
    Last edited by slinky; 11/20/2005 at 09:36 PM.