Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    I searched but couldn't find the specific answer so guys please help...
    I just dropped my treo and somehow the antenna popped out...from looking under the antenna I felt as if something broke but I placed it back with some force and signal came back again...
    I tried pulling it out again and now it comes out very easily but I don't feel any difference in my signal strength.
    Do you think I should try to replace it if I can or will there be any problem in future if I keep it?
    Thanks..
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    gotta see pics because I don't know exactly what is under the plastic antenna cover.
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mg48
    gotta see pics because I don't know exactly what is under the plastic antenna cover.
    Do you I should pull out the antenna again to take the pictures? won't it make it loose and I am afraid that one point even if I face my antenna downwards it would fall of on it's own!!
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    That's one thing I don't like about my treo. If I could take off the antenna without it affecting my signal strength I would.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Look at the back of the Treo. There are two holes that are covered. The covers can be removed with the point of a small pocket knife (a dull one will not leave a mark). The small one at the base of the antenna covers a screw that holds the antenna in place. I think you broke this one. If it is the antenna side that broke a replacement antenna should solve the problem. If the Treo side broke well that would be bad. The screw is covered with a small sticker with a number ten on it. I think this is an anti tamper device. The idea would be that the sticker is hard to replace or easy to lose. The other one allows the connection of an external antenna.
    A very sharp point can also remove the covers with out causing any damage. Try an Exacto Knife with standard #11 blade. Just poke the soft plastic and pull the cover out. You should be able the tell what broke pretty quick.
    If it is the Treo and if the will not replace it on warrantee then the warrantee is now gone. Harbor Freight sells a plastic repair kit that just might be able to fix it if you have the guts. But no guts, no glory.
    Good Luck.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dafydd
    Look at the back of the Treo. There are two holes that are covered. The covers can be removed with the point of a small pocket knife (a dull one will not leave a mark). The small one at the base of the antenna covers a screw that holds the antenna in place. I think you broke this one. If it is the antenna side that broke a replacement antenna should solve the problem. If the Treo side broke well that would be bad. The screw is covered with a small sticker with a number ten on it. I think this is an anti tamper device. The idea would be that the sticker is hard to replace or easy to lose. The other one allows the connection of an external antenna.
    A very sharp point can also remove the covers with out causing any damage. Try an Exacto Knife with standard #11 blade. Just poke the soft plastic and pull the cover out. You should be able the tell what broke pretty quick.
    If it is the Treo and if the will not replace it on warrantee then the warrantee is now gone. Harbor Freight sells a plastic repair kit that just might be able to fix it if you have the guts. But no guts, no glory.
    Good Luck.
    Thanks for the perfect description. I am pretty sure I broke the antenna part which is connected with the treo via small screw. The part that broke is where the screw exactly holds the antenna so now if I pull the antenna very slightly it just comes out and sticking it back again everything starts working. The main problem now is I am so used to pull out the treo thru my pants pocket with antenna, being loose I ends up pulling it half way thru the socket. and it seems that after few days it will get too loose that even the slightest force will remove it and phone stops working!!!
    I think I would try to get a replacement. Hope they let me and above all I am so worried that I don't end up getting a refurbished lemon in place of my loyal beauty. Also on thing would be in my favor is before few days I had a famous bad "headset jack" problem, though I wasn't aware of it but it came up when I installed VC so I posted to Jeff about it and he actually advised me to replace treo if I can, but after that the problem never came back so I just kept using it.Anyway I will try to post some pictures if I can.
    I've never droped my treos till last week. I left it on a table top and brush it off somehow. fell on the wooden floor and the antenna popped off just like yours.

Go to Home Depot's tool depart and buy a set of torx driver for $5. It's the only set I can find locally with the right size for the 650 (Radio Shack does not have the right size). Take the screw out and what remains of the antenna and super glue or epoxy it back together and reassemble. Worked for me.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by newtreouser
    I've never droped my treos till last week. I left it on a table top and brush it off somehow. fell on the wooden floor and the antenna popped off just like yours.

Go to Home Depot's tool depart and buy a set of torx driver for $5. It's the only set I can find locally with the right size for the 650 (Radio Shack does not have the right size). Take the screw out and what remains of the antenna and super glue or epoxy it back together and reassemble. Worked for me.
    Thanks for the info. I am still confused whether follow your steps or ask for replacement? I doubt if I tried to open treo like you and mess up the suface or rubber plugs and than ask for replacement would void my warranty. They would never believe that I am also replacing it because of bad headset jack. Is there any way you can describe your steps in more detail. I kinda got what you did but still more detail or may be pictures???
    All you have to do is take the screw that holds the broken part of the antenna that is still inside the treo and glue it back to the part that popped off.
    But if you have a broken earphone jack, why bother fixing the antenna? Broken earphone jack is enough reason to get a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by T-ulk
    Thanks for the info. I am still confused whether follow your steps or ask for replacement? I doubt if I tried to open treo like you and mess up the suface or rubber plugs and than ask for replacement would void my warranty. They would never believe that I am also replacing it because of bad headset jack. Is there any way you can describe your steps in more detail. I kinda got what you did but still more detail or may be pictures???