Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by siriusbliss
    Emails from the folks at Mobi a couple months ago mentioned that they'd be adding channels, but I think it would be awesome if they added them AT NO CHARGE rather than buying into this whole pay-to-play scheme. $10/month is PLENTY to get more channels - especially the ones that already have advertising. I refuse to subscribe to channels that have ads.
    Greg
    We will continue to add channels to our basic package at no extra charge, we've already added several to the Treo since it launched -- premium content is a whole different thing. Our deals with MLB and NFL may produce game packages where you can purchase individual or multiple games, and if you're at all familiar with MLB.com, you know they don't come cheap. That sort of thing will be a la carte and most of our regular programming will probably remain basic.

As for advertising, I will take off my corporate hat for a moment and pose a question which I'm personally curious about: if MobiTV were ad supported and we used that money to defray the cost of the service, would you watch it and what's the threshold? We're sensitive to the fact that people don't generally like ads, or at least intrusive ones, and that's part of the reason we're not pushing them (ads you see on MobiTV come from the cable companies). But ads support many of your favorite services, including terrestrial TV and everybody's favorite search engine. So where's the line?
    Quote Originally Posted by mobitv

As for advertising, I will take off my corporate hat for a moment and pose a question which I'm personally curious about: if MobiTV were ad supported and we used that money to defray the cost of the service, would you watch it and what's the threshold? We're sensitive to the fact that people don't generally like ads, or at least intrusive ones, and that's part of the reason we're not pushing them (ads you see on MobiTV come from the cable companies). But ads support many of your favorite services, including terrestrial TV and everybody's favorite search engine. So where's the line?

Honestly it would be nice to have that option. I would definitely be willing to subscribe the service based on that model. As it stands its hard to justify the cost. But if it's free I will definitely deal with ads. You'll notice that most people on the board couldn't justify the cost but did like the service so you kind have your answer there.
    So why can't I get NFL Network via Tmobile on my Treo? iam ampaying for it anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobitv
    For me, the main reason I cancelled my subscription was that I just was not using the service enough to justify the $10/month. The service is not cost prohibitive but simply a poor way to spend my money based on my usage. I did however enjoy the service. With that said, I wouldn't mind paying less if the trade-off were some ads. The question is how would you implement the ads?

I could deal with sitting through a 10-second add each time I started MobiTV and then maybe another 10-second one after 15-minutes of continuous use. I don't think the screen size lends itself to an ad banner running at all times. I guess it's a matter of what is an acceptable number of ads for a given subscription fee.
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy
    So why can't I get NFL Network via Tmobile on my Treo? iam ampaying for it anyway.
    You're not paying for NFL Network, Sprint is. $600 million over 5 years -- too rich for our blood! I'm sure they'd love to have you as a subscriber.

As for ads, we know we'd sell a lot more MobiTVs if it were cheaper and creative ads may be a good way to get there. Watching an ad at the beginning is an interesting idea, as is some sort of clickable ads that link to Blazer-formatted landing pages. Lots to ponder...
    Quote Originally Posted by bige
    ...But if it's free I will definitely deal with ads....
    I doubt that never in a million years will it be free.

I tried the beta and yes it was cool but the video leaves a lot to be desired on Sprint, as does the channel line-up. I think the price need to come down to around $3 a month where the user really does not need to feel he \ she is getting thier 'moneys worth'. At $3 a month it almost doesnt really matter.

To run adds and to charge anything more than $3 is to signal the death march for the product . Yes its cool, yes its partially entertaining but is it worth almost the same as a full month of Sirius Satellite radio with 120+ channels. Not to me.
    Click for Free iPod Nano or better. - really works!
    I bought it and used it on and off for a couple of months, but not having espn live was what made me cancel. I really appreciate the fact that you listened to the Palm community and ported your product, but the price point and no live espn was just too much for me. I loved showing it to PPC folks just for the wow factor and it's nice knowing you can watch tv anytime, but the write-up for espn didn't say it was only espn clips.

I think it's a great product, and I'll keep watching for new content, though!
    That sound pretty unreal that Sprint would pay over $600 million a year just for MobiTV? Hmmmmmm, what else was in the contract?
    Smileyboy,

He said it was 600 million over FIVE years to the NFL for rights to send video to their phones over their network NOT for MobiTV.

Hmmmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by Magohn
    I doubt that never in a million years will it be free.

I tried the beta and yes it was cool but the video leaves a lot to be desired on Sprint, as does the channel line-up. I think the price need to come down to around $3 a month where the user really does not need to feel he \ she is getting thier 'moneys worth'. At $3 a month it almost doesnt really matter.

To run adds and to charge anything more than $3 is to signal the death march for the product . Yes its cool, yes its partially entertaining but is it worth almost the same as a full month of Sirius Satellite radio with 120+ channels. Not to me.
    I don't mean to sound like a press release, but we've got half a million plus subscribers right now at $10/mo, most of them on phones with vastly inferior video experiences to the Treo, and we're making some money on the service after paying our costs. If that's a death march, march away! That said, of course it's about hitting a sweet spot where everybody makes out on the deal, people get paid for their content at some fair rate, we get paid for the service, and you get what you want.

We want to get new and better content and keep the price manageable, and that is getting easier to do as the market develops and people come knocking at our door instead of us at theirs. But ESPN is a good example; they are famously (or infamously) protective of their content, and the content they rebroadcast is highly protected too. Even ESPN doesn't have the rights to rebroadcast MLB games to providers like us (or even highlights, I think). However, you may have noticed the ESPNMobile brand rolling out recently, with a single $500 phone supported and charges of up to $200/mo! That's what these guys are holding out for; I'm sure the content is going to be great and hopefully well-presented, but you sure are going to pay through the nose for it.

I say this only to point out that good content is expensive, and it's expensive on cable TV and satellite TV too. Sirius sure is expensive compared to free radio, and they're not even making much money on the service because it's so expensive to produce and to run. Our MobiRadio product makes a lot more sense than Sirius for some people because they already own the receiver (their phone), it's cheaper and soon the content lineups should be pretty comparable too. The next generation of phones will be fast enough to resolve any lingering questions about quality of video or audio, and it's going to be all about the content. I hope for everybody's sake (I'm a consumer too) that we will eventually be able to offer cheap a la carte programming, little bits of on-demand stuff that take the pressure off of people to buy a subscription and feel nervous about getting their money's worth. But cable doesn't really do this yet; there are movements in the FCC right now to force their hand as IPTV starts competing with cable for real.

Anyway. This is fascinating stuff! A lot of the challenge of our business is setting expectations. People who want proprietary, dirt cheap, live, pertinent content will probably never be happy, but as this whole thing develops we'll all find our own uses for the service and determine what information we want to pay for and what it's worth. Mobile may be lower quality (for now) than cable, but it sure is more convenient, and that's worth something, it's up to you to determine the value. Our job is to try to give you the best choices we can.
    Interesting -- I didn't know you had MobiRadio -- when will the Treos be supported? And I can't find a radio listing on your site, other than the 40 channels comment. Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by ricochet
    Interesting -- I didn't know you had MobiRadio -- when will the Treos be supported? And I can't find a radio listing on your site, other than the 40 channels comment. Thoughts?
    No timeline for radio on the Treo yet, but as soon as we can. The next generation TV client is probably first on the list. The content is currently provided by MusicChoice, and really looks a lot like the Sirius or XM non-news/sports/talk channels, I don't think the names would mean too much unless 70's Funk or Smooth Jazz tell you anything. News/sports/talk is on its way for MobiRadio, hopefully very soon.
    Any updates on the alltel support? I'm curious what it is that's holding you back, since the preview channel works fine
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    I thought I would try this program for a month for $10 to see how it works.

It 'appears' to work pretty good, except it is NOT real 'smooth' as the pictures (video) is coming in to my Treo 650. Should this be expected and am I asking too much? I thought it would come across 'like a tv' instead of being a little 'jumpy' and not 'real' smooth video.

Can anyone confirm this and suggest why? Should I be looking AND enjoying this on the Treo as if it WERE a small television.

To me, it's a neat deal, but the video streaming in is NOT smooth enough to warrant $10 a month PLUS eating up time on my phone. (As of now, I do NOT have unlimited data stream and will NOT get it IF I don't get better results.

Thanks for any comments from anyone who has this program.

Ron
    R Jackson
    wxman@flash.net
    <merged>
    Yah I subscribed because I saw sports sports sports all over the place. LOL everyone at work has bets placed left and right and I see them all on their nokias checking the scores via wap sites like espn. I thought it would be a kick to to bust out my treo and show them the game live on espn...Turned it on and saw ESPN3G, talk talk talk, Fox sports. Talk talk talk, Cspan?....WTF is CSPAN??? lol Discovery channel an th learning channel are impressive. It's nice to see something other then talk talk talk.

Fox: News
    CNN: News
    NFL Netowrk: Game clips from years ago.
    ESPN3G: Everyting you wanted to know about sports except what's going on right this moment.
    Fashion Network: Freakishly dressed snobs walking around.
    Toon World: Cartoons who's copyright licenses expired...ok that's a bit extreme. For me it was Mr Magoo for like 5 hours..no thanks.
    CSPAN: WTF IS CSPAN??? Should be renamed to Live webcam feed of the senate house.
    CNet: Actually a bit interesting. I would definately trade it for TechTV which is not available on my carrier.
    Horror: Add a case of beer, 2 rude mouthed friends and you got MST3K - If it's in color it must not be horror.
    Disocery Channel: Impressive no complaints here.
    The learning channel: Not too shabby either.
    I love news don't get me wrong but the news they show on TV is too glamourized for mass consumption that you don't really learn anything from it. More just observation. And for that reason I don't blame MobiTV. They are just providing us with the abilities to watch the content. I'm canceling my service but will be keeping a close eye on mobitv's new offerings as they do have a very viable product. One that certainly did deserve the emmy. They just need to entice people with content that we love and want.

Sports, Action or Pron. Get it and sell it because it's what we'll pay for.

If you want real news, read the paper, listen to the radio or browse news sites that report the whole story. fox and cnn is too focused on exposing the victims to the rest of the world when they shlould be reporting the ways to help the "possible victims" not become "actual victims".

Whoa just went off track there.....Alright train derailed....stories over let's move on.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234