1.    #1  
    I finally figured out how to push e-mail to my Treo 650 from my Optimum Online (pop3) Outlook Express account using Fastmail and Chattermail. (I set up a rule in OE forwarding all messages to my fastmail account which then get picked up by Chatter)

Unless I'm missing something, I need to leave my computer turned on and Outlook Express open in order to have this work. If the messages don't get to my OE account from my service providor they can't get forwarded. Right?

Is there a way to have all this happen while leaving my computer turned off?
    That would be correct. Since the client (OE) is getting the mail, it would have to be running.

The only other option (IIRC Optimum doesn't forward) would be perhaps have fastmail POP it, or some other work around, gMail to fetch, forward to fastmail, etc...

It's still not truly push, since it can only POP at set intervals, but may be your only option.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."