Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    IF they are abandoning Palm software, will there be an upgrade or some trade in program or am I being uber-naive?
    No chance. Would they rather have you pay $600 for a modest hardware upgrade, and keep $100+ in profit, or ask you to pay $50 for a software upgrade, screw up a ton of support calls, and give $49.95 of that to M$?
    even if they wanted to the 650 does not have enough memory to support WM5
    You are being uber-naive. There will be no trade-in program or upgrade discount.
    I'm back!
    I would still take the PalmOS over the Windows system. It's still a phone more than a computer, IMHO.
    I don't know where you guys have been, but a port of windows already exists for the palm environment. Windows Palm Edition will run right on top of palm os so theres no reflashing or risks involved. Check it out

http://www.beiks.com/palmzonebg/Show...sp?TitleID=302
    Quote Originally Posted by sam-i-am
    I don't know where you guys have been, but a port of windows already exists for the palm environment. Windows Palm Edition will run right on top of palm os so theres no reflashing or risks involved. Check it out

http://www.beiks.com/palmzonebg/Show...sp?TitleID=302
    Is that for real? Has anyone run this on a 650? What benefit is it?
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Its a joke ,if you read carefully you can tell
    This is what happens when you have Windows on a Treo...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EEZ123
    Its a joke ,if you read carefully you can tell
    hey, don't ruin the surprise!
    Sorry!
    Oh, April 1st.

I remember many years ago on my first Palm, there was a program that I downloaded that did exactly what the program shows. It had the start button and worked exactly like windows and looked exactly like windows. I didn't like it, but my wife did.
  13.    #13  
    I am very naive when it comes to these issues. guess its just wishful thinking.

I mainly need an organizer though that's why i got the 650, the always there interenet is cool to have though. I really don't plan on using it as a phone. So this whole software shebang really doesn't affect me, just wanted to know. From waht I hear the palm software is more than i need in terms of PIM.
    Quote Originally Posted by chapperjoe
    I am very naive when it comes to these issues. guess its just wishful thinking.

I mainly need an organizer though that's why i got the 650, the always there interenet is cool to have though. I really don't plan on using it as a phone. So this whole software shebang really doesn't affect me, just wanted to know. From waht I hear the palm software is more than i need in terms of PIM.
    Naive is the least of your problems. If all you want is an organizer, you could have just gotten a Tungsten E or a cheap Axim.

Buying a Treo just for an organizer, is like buying a Kenworth with a 53' trailer to go grocery shopping.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Naive is the least of your problems. If all you want is an organizer, you could have just gotten a Tungsten E or a cheap Axim.

Buying a Treo just for an organizer, is like buying a Kenworth with a 53' trailer to go grocery shopping.
    some of us eat a lot
    Quote Originally Posted by chapperjoe
    IF they are abandoning Palm software, will there be an upgrade or some trade in program or am I being uber-naive?

Palm is not abandoning PalmOS (yet at least). I assuem there will be a PalmOS Treo 700 by early next year with similar hardware specs tot he WM version. Secondly, other than the Treo Roadshow discounts, afiak there has not been any upgrade discounts given to users recently...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Palm is not abandoning PalmOS (yet at least). I assuem there will be a PalmOS Treo 700 by early next year with similar hardware specs tot he WM version. Secondly, other than the Treo Roadshow discounts, afiak there has not been any upgrade discounts given to users recently...
    What would be the point of a 700p? It would be like the 650 except have lower resolution. They didn't really change much exept the OS. (and EVDO)

If selling palmOS to the japanese isn't abandoning it, then what is it?

-------

There are some launchers out there that really do look like windows - which is good if you're just interested in the looks.
    In the latest press conference with Gates, Colligan they said there are no plans to abandon the palm os. It will be geared more toward consumers while windows mobile will be more for corporate accounts. Selling Palm OS to the Japanese isn't abandoning obviously they got a lot more than they thought selling Palm and they probably determined that it would be cheaper just to license the product. I bet you the japanese company that bought Palm will improve the OS ten fold over what palm had in mind. I don't think selling Palm OS was bad at all.
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
    What would be the point of a 700p? It would be like the 650 except have lower resolution. They didn't really change much exept the OS. (and EVDO)
    Who said anything about lower resolution?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    the 700p wouldn't have that lower resolution, the only reason for a lower resolution is to work with WM5 which can't suppoer 320X320

wow so all of a sudden anything bought by a japanese company results in abandonment? palmsource is a separate company, it was bought by another company who plans to further it's development, which Access has already claimed. I suspect you are the type of person who feels that the only good car is an american car, right?

If selling palmOS to the japanese isn't abandoning it, then what is it?

-------

There are some launchers out there that really do look like windows - which is good if you're just interested in the looks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast